Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #826
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
That depends on the firmware of the ipad as well. I wanted to upgrade to the newest blufire reader app, but got the message that it required ios 4.3
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #827
mallard13
mallard13 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4S, Palm Tx & 1st Gen iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Go to the app in iTunes, there should be an option to display the file (probably if you right click). Note the file name, then run a file search for it. It should be in your trash as I said.
Many thanks to all.

I guess not emptying the Recycle bin for a long time has some benefits. I found Bluefire Reader versions 1.6 thru 1.8 in the bin.

I had to 'fool' iTunes in order to get BFR 1.7 onto my iPod Touch. Just putting it into the iTunes Mobile Applications folder wasn't enough to get iTunes to recognise the earlier version of BFR. I had to remove the latest BFR v1.9 & rename BFR v1.7 to BFR v1.9. No problem syncing to the iPod Touch & BFR now runs fine on my iPod Touch. Final step: delete the old, renamed, version of BFR & replace it with the 'real' BFR v1.9, which my iPhone 4S can use.

BTW, when I synced my iPod Touch with the 'real' BFR v1.9 in iTunes, it wouldn't update BFR because of the iOS limitation. So, all is now well in BFR land.
mallard13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 01:38 AM   #828
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Hello Micah.

Do you have any idea when support for OPDS catalogs (calibre) support will appear?

It's a major pain to have sync to iTunes. After all this time, I fail to understand why such an important feature has not been added.

Do you even intend to add the ability to download books? At all?
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:57 AM   #829
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
Hello Micah.

Do you have any idea when support for OPDS catalogs (calibre) support will appear?

It's a major pain to have sync to iTunes. After all this time, I fail to understand why such an important feature has not been added.

I asked this question a long time ago, I dont think Micah ever answered. So I am assuming the answer is no. OTOH you can download books by storing them in the cloud... dropbox, sugarsync, box.net etc. "Open in" works wonders.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:50 PM   #830
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
Hallelujah! We finally figured out how to fix the problem that Bluefire Reader had on Jailbroken devices. OMG that took soooooooo long. And it sucked soooooooo bad. I hate, hate, hate jailbroken devices (although I had one that I really like at one time, until Bluefire came along boooooo.) So, so happy!
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2012, 10:02 PM   #831
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BTW, for those of you that like reading library books, here is a hidden gem in Bluefire Reader. You can go into mobile safari on your iOS device and enter a certain kind of link (easier actually if you save that URL in some kind of web page or document where you can tap on it later rather than re-typing each time). it goes like this - in Mobile Safari (or in a URL) type: bluefirereader://nav/web/http://www.yourlocallibrarysite.org

example for Seattle Public Library: bluefirereader://nav/web/http://spl.org

When you do this Bluefire Reader should open and you should be able to browse the library site right there inside Bluefire Reader, and when you go to check out a book, it will download directly into the app and you can read it instantly. No side loading silliness necessary. If this works for you (should with any Overdrive powered library site) please post here. I'd love to know it works for people (we actually did this for ourselves as we read library books a lot) - but I figure some other folks might find it handy too... Happy Reading.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:56 AM   #832
ssholloway
Connoisseur
ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone6, iPadMiniRetina, KindlePW3, KoboGloHD
Works for the San Francisco Public Library (sfpl.org) home page. In addition, I tried bluefirereader://nav/web/http://sfpl.lib.overdrive.com to get to the SFPL e-library login page and that works as well.
ssholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:21 AM   #833
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
I got it to work for Oklahoma City's Metropolitan Library. Is there any way to save the link so I don't have to type it each time?
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #834
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodlemom1 View Post
I got it to work for Oklahoma City's Metropolitan Library. Is there any way to save the link so I don't have to type it each time?
I guess you can store it as a shortcut in your mobile browser.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:22 PM   #835
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
I made a web page with a link on it and then pinned that page to my desktop. Another way is to make a document with a link. I've not tried it in an epub and then loaded it into BFR. That might work too.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:12 PM   #836
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
Hello Micah.

There's all kinds of alternatives to iTunes side loading. Dropbox, email, web links, etc. Though I agree, OPDS catalog support would be awesome. But that would likely run afoul of Apple's App Store policies for ebook apps, as OPDS feeds could include "Buy" links, and it would be really hard for us to "filter" those out from other types of web links.
-M
Old 11-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #837
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
I made a web page with a link on it and then pinned that page to my desktop. Another way is to make a document with a link. I've not tried it in an epub and then loaded it into BFR. That might work too.
I couldn't get the link to open when I saved it as a PDF document and opened it in Bluefire. I was able to save the link in dropbox. I can click on the link in dropbox and bring up the library site in Bluefire Reader.
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #838
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah View Post
There's all kinds of alternatives to iTunes side loading. Dropbox, email, web links, etc. Though I agree, OPDS catalog support would be awesome. But that would likely run afoul of Apple's App Store policies for ebook apps, as OPDS feeds could include "Buy" links, and it would be really hard for us to "filter" those out from other types of web links.
-M
Umm, why do you have to filter them at all? Nobody else does. Not a good reason not to include it, Micah, can't help feeling there's another reason entirely.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #839
ssholloway
Connoisseur
ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone6, iPadMiniRetina, KindlePW3, KoboGloHD
Lightbulb aHomeIcon iOS app

Quote:
You might want to try the free aHomeIcon app from the Apple app store on your iPad. The process has several steps but it's not that hard to do. Copy the URL you want to use, select the URL button in the aHomeIcon app (on the 2d page), it will ask if you want to use the URL from the clipboard, and then creates a webapp that you add to your home screen (this is the step that's a little tricky since you do this twice, once in the app and once in Safari). The app give you the ability change the icon and title (on the 1st page) before you do the add-to step. There are a couple of video tutorials in the app if you need help. Still playing around with it but it looks good for the simple needs I have.

I believe there are Android apps that can create a home screen widget to launch a URL but I've not used Android in several months so I'm not up-to-date on the choices.
ssholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:17 AM   #840
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
Hi Micah,

I'm really liking the latest version of Bluefire Reader. You guys have come a long way!

I hate to bring this up, especially since many have requested this feature, but is there any way to turn off auto-hyphenation? I ask because I proofread epubs, and the auto-hyphenation makes it more difficult to check for inappropriate hyphens.

P.S. Being able to adjust line-height would also be greatly appreciated. In fact, if you made it possible to toggle auto-hyphenation on/off and adjust line-height, Bluefire would do everything I want in an ereader app.

Thank you!
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote