Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-19-2017, 05:58 PM   #1
Percivale
Connoisseur
Percivale began at the beginning.

Device: none
Tiny footer and header in kepub for Kobo Aura One

Dear users of Kobo Aura One.

Could you share with me your best optimal settings for header and footer for kepub files.

I have been trying to find some settings but so far with no satisfactory effect.
I would like to have as tiny footer as possible with a visible page number.

Is it possible to get rid of the header in a kepub? If not, what setting in the patch would reduce it to the tiniest possible.

I will be very grateful for any help and comment
Percivale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:38 PM   #2
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Have a look at the `Custom reading footer style` patch, and modify the CSS accordingly.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:58 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I can copy my settings for the H2O to the KA1 in the patches and post them if you'd like. I also use the 33% top of the page patch (or whatever it's called). I've tried the 50% version and found it too small.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:13 PM   #4
Percivale
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Have a look at the `Custom reading footer style` patch, and modify the CSS accordingly.
I have been trying to do so but with unsatisfactory effect.

It is all about the settings values - with which I have problems.

Any settings values from users are very welcome here.

I will be very grateful.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:45 AM   #5
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
tell me, kepub does not accept non-breaking space & # 160 ; ? Or is it possible to corrected?
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:58 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
tell me, kepub does not accept non-breaking space & # 160 ; ? Or is it possible to corrected?
I'm pretty sure it the kepub reader does support non-breaking spaces. What makes you think it doesn't?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:21 AM   #7
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
davidfor,
non-breaking space after the dash works fine in the epub. But does not work in kepub. I wonder how to fix it.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:48 AM   #8
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percivale View Post
I have been trying to do so but with unsatisfactory effect.

It is all about the settings values - with which I have problems.

Any settings values from users are very welcome here.

I will be very grateful.
I like the combination of Custom Header menubar - reduce height by 50% and this patch
Spoiler:
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `MY Custom reading footer style`
patch_enable = `yes`
#
# ESTA ES MI VERSION This patch will NOT WORK with BAD EYES
#
find_base_address = `ReadingFooter {\n  qproperty-footerMargin: 105;\n}\n`
# For KA1
#replace_string = 0000, `ReadingFooter {\n  qproperty-footerMargin: 105;\n}\nReadingFooter[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {\n  qproperty-footerMargin: 170;\n}\nReadingFooter[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n  qproperty-footerMargin: 221;\n}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true] {\n  font-size: 19px;\n}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {\n  font-size: 23px;\n}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {\n  font-size: 29px;\n}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsAlyssum=true] {\n  font-size: 32px;\n}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n  font-size: 37px;\n}\n#caption[qApp_localeName="ja_JP"] {\n  font-family: Sans-SerifJP, sans-serif;\n  font-style: normal;\n}\n`, `ReadingFooter {qproperty-footerMargin:105;min-height:70px;max-height:70px}\nReadingFooter[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {min-height:68px;max-height:68px}\n#caption { font-family: Georgia; font-size: 16px; margin-top: -05px}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {font-size: 34px}\n                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 \0`
# For any
replace_string = 0000, `ReadingFooter {\n  qproperty-footerMargin: 105;\n}\nReadingFooter[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {\n  qproperty-footerMargin: 170;\n}\nReadingFooter[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n  qproperty-footerMargin: 221;\n}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true] {\n  font-size: 19px;\n}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {\n  font-size: 23px;\n}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {\n  font-size: 29px;\n}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsAlyssum=true] {\n  font-size: 32px;\n}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n  font-size: 37px;\n}\n#caption[qApp_localeName="ja_JP"] {\n  font-family: Sans-SerifJP, sans-serif;\n  font-style: normal;\n}\n`, `ReadingFooter {qproperty-footerMargin:105;min-height:70px;max-height:70px}\nReadingFooter[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {qproperty-footerMargin:170;}\nReadingFooter[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {min-height:68px;max-height:68px}\n#caption {font-family:Georgia;font-size:16px;margin-top:-05px}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true] {font-size:19px;}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {font-size:23px;}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {font-size:29px;}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsAlyssum=true] {font-size:32px;}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {font-size:34px;}\n                                        `
</Patch>

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_002.png
Views:	696
Size:	198.1 KB
ID:	160794  

Last edited by jcn363; 12-20-2017 at 06:04 AM.
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:17 AM   #9
Percivale
Connoisseur

Could anyone please explain it to me (step by step) what values I should change in order to get a tiny footer with a visible pager number.

The header can be reduced ONLY by 50% (this is what I know)

But what should I do in this patch?

patch_name = `Custom reading footer style`

There are sections :

1) Do these values make the total height of the footer?

# Replacement footer height values: AuraOne
replace_string = 00C0, `min-height:90px`, `min-height:26px`
replace_string = 00D0, `max-height:90px`, `max-height:26px`

2) Does it make the font size in the footer?

# Replacement caption font size value for AuraOne:
replace_string = 01D0, `font-size:37px`, `font-size:34px`

3) Does It move the footer from the edge of the screen?

# Optional Replacement caption top margin value for all devices:
# (A negative top margin moves the caption text upwards,
# further from the bezel and closer to the page content.)
#
#replace_string = 00FA, `margin-top:+00px`, `margin-top:-10px`
replace_string = 00FA, `margin-top:+00px`, `margin-top:-08px`

What else should I take into consideration?
Old 12-20-2017, 09:08 AM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Could anyone please explain it to me (step by step) what values I should change in order to get a tiny footer with a visible pager number.

But what should I do in this patch?

There are sections :

1) Do these values make the total height of the footer?

replace_string = 00C0, `min-height:90px`, `min-height:26px`
replace_string = 00D0, `max-height:90px`, `max-height:26px`

2) Does it make the font size in the footer?

replace_string = 01D0, `font-size:37px`, `font-size:34px`

3) Does It move the footer from the edge of the screen?

#
replace_string = 00FA, `margin-top:+00px`, `margin-top:-08px`
I believe you have understood this patch correctly, i.e answer to 1), 2), 3) is Yes. You only need to adjust the values I marked in red until you're happy with them.
Quote:
What else should I take into consideration?
The only other option you have not mentioned is the last one (commented out by default) which allows you to change the font used to display the 'Page x of y' info. I think the Kobo defaults to (or at least it used to) use the font you chose to display the rest of the book. Users who may want to enable this option are those who are in the habit of changing their book font quite often. The 'Page x of y' caption text looks bigger/smaller depending on the font in use. Using built-in fonts as an example: Caecilia is a 'big' font and 'Gill Sans' is a 'small' font. If you 'force' the caption font you will be able to set the font-size more accurately in option 2).

Just as a casual tip. I find the best way to choose values for these multi-option patches is to make an educated guess for your first attempt and have a look at the results after installing. Afterwards, tweak them up-a-bit/down-a-bit until you hit your personal definition of 'perfect'
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:47 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Reducing the header by 50% also reduces the space you have to press at the top and it's too small. Use 33%.

As for the footer, this is what I think you should try. It's from nickel.patch. I've lightly changed the numbers from my H2O numbers given the larger screen and higher resolution. Replace the patch in nickel.patch with this one and give it a go.

Spoiler:
<Patch>
patch_enable = `no`
# Multi-version patch: 4.6.9960 - 4.7.10413+
# patch_group = `Reading footer alternatives`
#
## This patch customises the following properties of the reading footer:
##
## * Footer height (the amount of the screen reserved for the footer.)
## * Caption font size (Caption = page number or other progress indicator)
## * Caption top margin, which changes its vertical position within the footer.
## * Caption font family.
#
# When editing the replacement values below, BE CAREFUL NOT TO CHANGE THE LENGTH
# OF THE REPLACEMENT STRING! If a replacement string is too long you will get
# an error when making the patch, but if one is too short then there will be no
# error, but strange things will happen to the reading footer.
#
find_base_address = `ReadingFooter {\n qproperty-footerMargin: 105;\n}\n`
replace_string = 0000, `ReadingFooter {\n qproperty-footerMargin: 105;\n}\nReadingFooter[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {\n qproperty-footerMargin: 170;\n}\nReadingFooter[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n qproperty-footerMargin: 221;\n}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsTrilogy=true] {\n font-size: 19px;\n}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {\n font-size: 23px;\n}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {\n font-size: 29px;\n}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsAlyssum=true] {\n font-size: 32px;\n}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {\n font-size: 37px;\n}\n#caption[qApp_localeName="ja_JP"] {\n font-family: Sans-SerifJP, sans-serif;\n font-style: normal;\n}\n`, `ReadingFooter {qproperty-footerMargin:105;min-height:70px;max-height:70px}\nReadingFooter[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {min-height:80px;max-height:80px}\nReadingFooter[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {min-height:90px;max-height:90px}\n#caption {font-size:19px;margin-top:+00px}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsPhoenix=true] {font-size:23px}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsDragon=true] {font-size:29px}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsAlyssum=true] {font-size:32px}\n#caption[qApp_deviceIsDaylight=true] {font-size:37px}\n#caption[qApp_localeName="ja_JP"] {font-family:Sans-SerifJP,sans-serif;font-style:normal}\n\0`
#
# Replacement footer height values: Touch/Mini/Glo/Aura/Aura2E
replace_string = 002A, `min-height:70px`, `min-height:40px`
replace_string = 003A, `max-height:70px`, `max-height:40px`
# Replacement footer height values: AuraHD/H2O/GloHD
replace_string = 0074, `min-height:80px`, `min-height:52px`
replace_string = 0084, `max-height:80px`, `max-height:52px`
replace_string = 00C0, `min-height:90px`, `min-height:34px`
replace_string = 00D0, `max-height:90px`, `max-height:34px`
#
#
# Replacement caption font size value for Touch/Mini:
replace_string = 00EB, `font-size:19px`, `font-size:16px`
# Replacement caption font size value for Glo/Aura/Aura2E:
replace_string = 0131, `font-size:23px`, `font-size:20px`
# Replacement caption font size value for AuraHD/H2O:
replace_string = 0165, `font-size:29px`, `font-size:26px`
# Replacement caption font size value for GloHD:
replace_string = 019A, `font-size:32px`, `font-size:30px`
replace_string = 01D0, `font-size:37px`, `font-size:30px`
#
#
#
replace_string = 00FA, `margin-top:+00px`, `margin-top:-05px`
#
#
# Uncomment the replace_string line below to use a fixed replacement caption
# font family, for all devices: You can change Georgia to another font name of
# your choice, but Avenir or Georgia are recommended because other fonts might
# not be loaded when the book is first opened and so might cause problems.
# Unlike other strings it is OK if this replacement string is a bit longer or
# shorter than the original.
#
#replace_string = 01E0, `#caption[qApp_localeName="ja_JP"] {font-family:Sans-SerifJP,sans-serif;font-style:normal}\n`, `#caption {font-family:Georgia}\n\0`
</Patch>
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:43 AM   #12
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Reducing the header by 50% also reduces the space you have to press at the top and it's too small. Use 33%.[/spoiler]
Now you can tap the center of screen for that purpose, so...

Good luck.
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:31 PM   #13
price
price began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I though it is possible to get rid of the header....
price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:46 PM   #14
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Reducing the header by 50% also reduces the space you have to press at the top and it's too small. Use 33%.
I think this really depends on what device you are using, 50% works great on the KA1 for example with flush bezel and the larger screen it is still easy enough to use the icons in the top menu. On H2O like you use I can see 50% perhaps being a problem because of the raised bezel getting in the way of your finger and the smaller screen making the icons a tiny bit smaller than they are on the larger KA1 screen.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote