Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-23-2014, 05:45 AM   #1
HisDudeness
HisDudeness began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Arrow Arch Linux on Paperwhite2

Hey guys,

I just managed to get Archlinux running in chroot on my paperwhite 2.
Now I am trying to set up xorg but for lack of experience i have no idea how to proceed

I can run xapps like xeyes, xclock... but they use the already running kindle xserver.
When trying to start a xserver in chroot, I always get '(EE) no screens found(EE)'

I installed the fbdev driver, but i actually have no idea how to set the xorg.conf XD
Does anyone know how I could get the screen and multitouch running?
Or is there a way to start a 2nd xserver 'as an app' on top of the other one?

cheers
HisDudeness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The error is correct, you only have a single display (hardware) set.

If you can't just use the running x-server, you will have to stop the one which is using your display hardware first.

Could you post a *.tar.gz of your Arch chroot directory somewhere for others to work with?
Plus any of the start/enter/exit/stop scripting you are using.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
HisDudeness

sure!
here we go:

Code:
# To get ArchARM running on your Paperwhite2, do the following:

# SSH into your Kindle, then:

mkdir /mnt/us/archlinux             # create a directory of your choice
cd /mnt/us/archlinux
mkdir os 			
dd if=/dev/zero of=arch.img seek=750000000 bs=1 count=1 	# create image container
mke2fs -F -t ext3 arch.img	        # create ext3 filesystem of image
mknod /dev/loop7 b 7 7		# create loop device
losetup /dev/loop7 arch.img	# set loop device to image
mount -t ext3 /dev/loop7 os/	# mount it

# download the latest ArchARM v7 into your os directory
# either with wget:
wget http://os.archlinuxarm.org/os/ArchLinuxARM-armv7-latest.tar.gz

# or over ssh with scp:
scp ~/Downloads/ArchLinuxARM-armv7-latest.tar.gz root@192.168.2.2:/mnt/us/archlinux/os/ArchLinuxARM-armv7-latest.tar.gz

# extract the tar and then remove it
tar xzf ArchLinuxARM-armv7-latest.tar.gz
rm ArchLinuxARM-armv7-latest.tar.gz

#mount some directories for arch:
mount -o bind /dev/ /mnt/us/archlinux/os/dev
mount -t proc proc proc/
mount --rbind /sys sys/
mount --rbind /dev dev/

# copy the DNS settings
cp /etc/resolv.conf etc/resolv.conf

# and chroot into arch:
chroot /mnt/us/archlinux/os /bin/bash

#now try to run 
pacman -Syu

#and if it starts updating, everything is fine =)
you could now get some xapps like xclock or xeyes and display it:
Code:
xclock -geometry 300x300+150+250 -name "L:D_N:application_ID:xclock"
Thats where I am atm.

@knc1:
Thats what I thought...
The problem here is, everytime i stopped the xserver it immediately restarted, leaving me no chance to start mine. :/ I haven't figured out yet the service responsible for that...
Old 07-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You will have to dig through the upstart rules to find out what is keeping it running.

Some of the video examples (at least) have had to stop the x-server -
probably in posts by Geekmaster and/or twobob.

I have never needed to do it myself, so I don't have any links handy for you to check out.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
stop lab126_gui is your new best friend.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:51 AM   #6
HisDudeness

Quote:
stop lab126_gui is your new best friend.
-> indeed

It works fine now to run programs from arch and display it with the kindle xserver =)
I played around with vnc and other stuff but the limited diskspace is annoying.

I might dig out my raspberry and look into x11 forwarding instead...
Old 07-24-2014, 03:14 PM   #7
Ecaz
Ecaz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hey can you post a few pictures of your Kindle running X?

I'd like to see that :-)
Ecaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:20 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Ecaz: Look at your own? .

(Every Kindle running FW 5.x already runs X ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:43 AM   #9
HisDudeness

i just found out what triggers the xserver to automatically restart:

If you have a look into /etc/upstart/x_monitor.conf
you can see that the first line is responsible to start the lxinit in case of a crash. So if you are annoyed by frequent xorg resets -> uncomment it

I also played around with the X11 forwarding this morning. Parallel to the xforwarding on the kindle I run a synergy client on the arch chroot and the server on my laptop. (Synergy sends mouse and keyboard to a remote host).
This way I can use the touch of the pw as well as my mouse and keyboard =)

@Ecaz:
here a pic of the Kindle updating Steam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140725_131014.jpg
Views:	1833
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	125824  
Old 08-07-2014, 02:10 PM   #10
jsherm101
jsherm101 began at the beginning.

I tried following your guide from a terminal emulator. It was going well until I tried to untar the Archlinux tar.gz and i got a slew of errors stating

"cannot create symlink from...
Operation not permitted"

Any ideas how to fix this?
jsherm101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:44 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsherm101 View Post
I tried following your guide from a terminal emulator. It was going well until I tried to untar the Archlinux tar.gz and i got a slew of errors stating

"cannot create symlink from...
Operation not permitted"

Any ideas how to fix this?
The USB storage area is a FAT32 filesystem.
B.G., in his wisdom, did not (and does not) support symbolic links.

Somewhere (early on) in that guide should be the directions for creating a ext2 (or ext3) filesystem in a file and then mounting that file as the destination for your arch distribution.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:00 PM   #12
jsherm101
jsherm101 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The USB storage area is a FAT32 filesystem.
B.G., in his wisdom, did not (and does not) support symbolic links.

Somewhere (early on) in that guide should be the directions for creating a ext2 (or ext3) filesystem in a file and then mounting that file as the destination for your arch distribution.

I see. I did catch that but my SSH must have missed that step and was trying to untar it into the Fat32. Thanks for the direction.
jsherm101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:39 PM   #13
HisDudeness

and be careful to have enough free diskspace before extracting...
- saves you a lot of annoying crashes & rebooting
Old 08-11-2014, 03:21 AM   #14
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
this is really nice, and thanks for the guide, it is very helpful!
the pw2 has more power than the pw1 right, would it run a lot worse?
i assume the guide would be the same...

the touch screen just 'works'?
i'll see how hard it will be to get synergy running with my mac.

-edit. not just more powerful, it has a whole different cpu, i don't think pw1 is arm right?
anyway thanks

Last edited by zxczxc; 08-11-2014 at 04:31 AM.
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:27 AM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxczxc View Post

- - - -

-edit. not just more powerful, it has a whole different cpu, i don't think pw1 is arm right?
anyway thanks
Wrong.
All except the K1 are Freescale ARM, the K1 is TexasInstruments ARM.

The PW1 uses one of the Freescale iMX6 SoC chips.

Tags
arch, archlinux, chroot, paperwhite, pw2