Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-12-2013, 03:41 AM   #1
truthslie
truthslie began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook912
SDK is fine. - VM-Image would be great for developping

Hello,

is there anything like an VM-Image to load in virtual box etc to develop new applikations.

I would love something where I only have to start the VM, edit the source, push the make-button and the app-file is created.
truthslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I don't think there is anything like what you want available. LoneTech put together a QEMU-based image for building PB programs quite a few years ago, but the guest OS is ARM-based, and the SDK has moved on since then. No one has put together a Windows or Linux guest, probably because those things tend to be quite large and difficult to distribute (as well as illegal for the Windows OS).

There is also no IDE for developing PB applications that I know of, so I don't think you can currently build by clicking a button. It's all command-line based, using either Make or CMake files.

If you build your own Linux-based guest, and want to be able to make the emulated applications (that can run on the guest itself rather than the ereader), then you should probably use Ubuntu 10.10 for that, since the emulation library depends on a particular version of libcurl found there. You can get it working on other distributions, but it's a pain.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:09 AM   #3
MartinZ
Zealot
MartinZ doesn't litterMartinZ doesn't litter

Device: PB903, PB603
SDK is fine. - VM-Image would be great for developping

Hi truthslie,

I can understand you. I had the same problem.

I have something, that at least comes close to your push button dream:

- Install Virtualbox on Windows with Ubuntu guest system installed. That is not really difficult to install.
- Install Ecplise IDE inside ubuntu
- Install vlasovsoft's PBSDK
- Follow his video tutorial to include SDK into Eclipse. (That's a bit tricky, but following the video helps a lot).

=> Now you have a really working IDE with (old but working) Pocketbook emulation inside, with debugging, with everything a modern IDE offers to you. One click and everything is built, started and debugged.

In addition I left old PB903 firmware installed on my device and am able to use normal file manager to access device via ftp cause "getroot" can be installed on old firmware.
So I can easily upload compiled apps to device and try inside real Pocketbook.

It's not perfect - but the best you can get.
MartinZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinZ View Post
In addition I left old PB903 firmware installed on my device and am able to use normal file manager to access device via ftp cause "getroot" can be installed on old firmware.
So I can easily upload compiled apps to device and try inside real Pocketbook.

It's not perfect - but the best you can get.
kacir recently pointed to a ftp server that runs on the new devices, so it doesn't require root to run it: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...92&postcount=2

Personally, I use sshd on the device to accomplish the same thing, which also doesn't require root privileges to run. So, there are other options. Having root access is nice, but the newest firmware has many new features that those old ones don't. With utelnetd to give me a nice shell login, I find that I haven't missed root access since I upgraded the firmware.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
MartinZ
Zealot

vsftpd ftp server on PB903?

Hi rkomar,

Quote:
kacir recently pointed to a ftp server that runs on the new devices, so it doesn't require root to run it: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...92&postcount=2
Has anyone got this to work on PB903 /PB603 ?

I really would like to upgrade firmware, if I only could transfer files wirelessly without rooting.
I tried sshd but it is a bit complicated and did not really work for me -I gave it up after a while of trying.

Still there is no SMB client or server either. The WiFi interface is quite useless as long as browser is so bad and no easy file transfer is possible.
I even tried dropbox inside normal browser (works sometimes but very badly) and in newer "links" (I can download but can not store in reader's memory - epub is always opened as raw text)

To transfer books i use my samrtphone to download and afterwards send it via bluetooth to the reader.

But for developing a program it must be fast and easy to transfer the app-file for testing.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
rkomar
Wizard

I tried it on my 902 a few days ago when we were discussing it. It is easy to install and test, so you should be able to try it first before deciding. The address and port show up on the screen when you run the launcher, and then you connect to it from the PC using the anonymous account.

When installing, copy everything but the C source file to the applications/ directory.

Last edited by rkomar; 06-14-2013 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:35 AM   #7
MartinZ
Zealot

vsftpd link broken

the mentioned link does not work any more.

http://othb08me09zp-pb-apps.narod2.ru/vsftpd.tar.gz

I can't download the app.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
rkomar
Wizard

Here's the package I got from the site a few days ago while it was still there.
Attached Files
File Type: gz vsftpd.tar.gz (51.1 KB, 318 views)
Old 06-16-2013, 07:34 AM   #9
MartinZ
Zealot

vsftpd link

Thanks rkomar!

I'll give it a try now.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #10
MartinZ
Zealot

vsftpd

Hi rkomar,

i tried vsftpd on PB903 successfully with old firmware.
It really seems to work!

I will try it for a while before upgrading firmware,
but i seems very promising to me.
The main reason for rooting device has vanished with this - I am glad

Tags
912 sdk developp