Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-24-2012, 03:35 AM   #1
bensheimer
bensheimer began at the beginning.

Device: iphone 3gs
order in chaos

Hi,
I really like Calibre and am starting to get order in my chaos.

What bothers me is the fact that when I add a batch of books, the Tags are all screwed up and the titles end up as individual authors. I have to look for them in the author listing and edit the metetags. A lot of work.

Any suggestions on how I could better address this problem?
Maybe I am to stupid to see that something as been set up for this?

If not, it would be nice if Calibre had a staging-area for new books so that they are seperated from the rest until they are reedited.

James

P.S. Also let me know when your Paypal links works again.
bensheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:54 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Try the Quality Check plugin. It allows you to simplify some of the work with metadata and also makes it easier to find books that need more work.

You could add a custom column that you can use to flag the state of your books. That way you could flag books that need work or that are in perfect state, and filter the view to show only the books you want to have visible.

Also you can sort on date to get your new books easier to locate.

Usually it is enough to get title and authors right. After that you can let Calibre fetch the rest of the metadata. Check out and activate other sources of metadata, that may help. But be careful, some may add trash. Avoid changes of title and authors. You may have to fix series.

Finally you could consider the source you have. If you don't like the state of the metadata, change source. Try the books here on MR.

Last edited by Adoby; 09-24-2012 at 04:03 AM.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:23 AM   #3
bensheimer

That was fast, Thanks
I'll look at the Quality Check plugin. Also the sort by date tip might help.

I already tried a custom column for books read or unread but have to go to Edit Metadata to set it. Sadly I cannot change it by using right-mouse.

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:24 AM   #4
bensheimer

That was fast, Thanks
I'll look at the Quality Check plugin. Also the sort by date tip might help.

I already tried a custom column for books read or unread but have to go to Edit Metadata to set it. Sadly I cannot change it by using right-mouse.

Thanks for your help.
James
Old 09-24-2012, 05:10 AM   #5
bensheimer

I just loaded the Quality Check plugin and am impressed with what one can do with it. Many, Many options but is there an easy way - that would include a complete check? or have i missed something.
Thanks
Old 09-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You can tell calibre to automatically add a specific tag(s) when a book is first added to the library. This can make it easier to identify books that might need work. I add a tag called [TODO] which I can then easily search on if needed. Once I am happy with the metadata and covers for the book I then remove the tag.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
bensheimer

Good idea. Thanks, I'll try it
Old 09-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
I don't know how or which settings (I thought default), but all my new books stay on the top of the list as long as I don't re-sort. For example, if I search for 'author:Bradbury', add some of his books and some from Robert Ludlum, then reset the search - all the books I just added are on the top. From there I can go next-next-next to edit metadata.

For Read there's Reading List plugin - configuration panel lets you to make new lists and choose appropriate action (like, add/remove tag 'tbr' from column when book is added/removed from the list). No need to open metadata editor.
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #9
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
The individual edit metadata box has a couple of things I find useful.
You can edit both regular and custom metadata on the same tab
You can view the books and delete formats, easier for me than the gui.
If only you could convert from this dialog
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote