Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #1
Jan Sym
Jan Sym began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
How do I transfer a book from my PC to my Kindle

This is driving me mental, and on Christmas Day!! What a present....
Can anyone help please?
Jan Sym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #2
Higgy
Higgy
Higgy will become famous soon enoughHiggy will become famous soon enoughHiggy will become famous soon enoughHiggy will become famous soon enoughHiggy will become famous soon enoughHiggy will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 4 WiFi with Screensavers.
Download Calibre and all we be well.

Merry Xmas & A Happy New Year.
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Sym View Post
This is driving me mental, and on Christmas Day!! What a present....
Can anyone help please?
There is a learning curve when you get what amounts to a capable little new computer, so help may be more a point in the right direction than an answer.

If the Kindle is not registered with an Amazon.com account, I would do that first. (If purchased from anyplace other than Amazon.com, it is not registered.)

If the book on your PC is in a Kindle-friendly format, with an extension such as .txt, .azw, .prc, or .mobi, you can wire up an-already turned on Kindle to the PC, with the cable that came with the Kindle. Then the Kindle will be a letter drive on the PC. Using Windows Explorer, copy the PC file into the Kindle documents folder.

If the book is in another format, and is not encrypted, I would, as suggested by the last poster, start by going to http://calibre-ebook.com/, and download that software.

Feel free to tell us more about this book.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Happy Holidays, Jan
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
What Steve said. Basically you need to place .prc, .mobi, .azw files in the Documents folder on your Kindle. If you have Kindle Fire, the book you placed on your Kindle will most likely show up in the Docs tab (not Books).
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 11:50 PM   #6
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Welcome to MR!

Happy Holidays

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:02 AM   #7
Jan Sym

I have a Kindle Wi-fi and have been able to download a book successfully to my Kindle library but I haven't been able to set up my Kindle as it's saying I need Wi-fi to set it up. I can't get my serial number to register cause I can't set it up. I've downloaded Calibre as suggested but think I need to do the setting up first.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:25 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
This is the Introduce Yourself Forum where members take the time and courtesy to....well....introduce themselves.

You may wish to look around our site and become familiar with where things are, and then come back and.....well.......introduce yourself.

Have fun!

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:52 AM   #9
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Sym View Post
I can't get my serial number to register . . .
I gather that you have a PC in your house, and it has an internet connection. How do you get internet service in your house?

Regardless of the answer to the above, you can register your Kindle like this:

-- Go to www.amazon.com

-- Log into the amazon account you must already have set up in order to purchase (or obtain for free) that book before you had downloaded it to your PC.

-- In the amazon.com Search pull down menu, select "Kindle Store." Click on Go.

-- Towards the top right of the screen, in small print, there should now be a link for "Manage My Kindle." Click on that.

-- On the left panel, about half way down, click on "Register a Kindle". Enter the serial number. Click Register.

Hopefully this gets you a few steps closer to where you need to be.

P.S. Christmas morning apologies to Moderator Don AKA Dr. Drib if I was supposed to wait for Jan Sym to post the question elsewhere

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 12-25-2011 at 08:36 AM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:49 PM   #10
PamelaMary
Guru
PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PamelaMary ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Welcome.. If you have a mobi file here's how to download from PC to Kindle.

Click on the novel in your PC. You have the option to open or save it.

Click Save. A window will open and ask you where you want to save it. (I save it to my desktop so it's easy to find if it's not already there.)

Attach the Kindle to your computer by the USB cord.

Open the icon that says Computer on your desktop. There will be a new drive that says Kindle.

Click on the Kindle drive. There will be a file inside that says Documents. Drag the book from your desktop into the the file that says Documents and drop it there.

The book is immediately available on your Kindle.

(don't forget to hit the icon that says 'remove hardware safely' on the lower part of your screen before you detach the USB cord from your computer. I've forgotten and everything was fine with my computer, but you're supposed to do it.)

Hope this helps. Pam
PamelaMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:08 AM   #11
Jan Sym

Thanks everyone but as I don't have WiFi and was told I could download from a PC when I purchased my Kimble, I took it back and was then told - oh sorry it can't be done, you have to have WiFi connection. So we bought a Sony instead. Much, much easier and better, and cheaper.... end of story