Notices

Old 01-17-2011, 10:54 PM   #1
NinjaCrepes
love/hate Kindle
NinjaCrepes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 gifted, considering a return
Bit of a Random Question re: 3.0.3 Firmware

Hello:

New to the forum and have been searching for additional information about the 3.0.3 firmware and haven't found anything that answers my concern...

I'm on a very old Mac (pre-Intel processor) and tried updating the firmware which appears to have been successful, I think. But....does anyone else's bottom right hand corner look like the attached?

I wasn't sure if I had installed the firmware correctly because I wasn't able to follow the directions listed on the amazon website (it said that there would be an option to update kindle...but mine was still greyed out).

Any information would be helpful. The steps I took to update the firmware were:
1. Prior to the update my kindle version said 0 which I thought was kind of weird.
2. Went to the Amazon website
3. downloaded the bin file to my desktop...I sort of had my head up my @ss because at this point the directions state that your kindle should not yet be plugged into the USB. Mine was already plugged in.
4. I unplugged the kindle--without having transferred the file.
5. The bottom right corner appeared as attached.
6. Plugged the kindle back into the USB.
7. Transferred in the bin file to the Kindle..not to any folder, the kindle "drive" mounted to my desktop.
8. unplugged the kindle
9. bottom right corner remained as photo attached.
10. option to update kindle was still greyed out.
11. So from the menu in settings, restarted the kindle.
12. bottom right corner remained unchanged as photo attached.

So...something a little weird going on...or was this actually a successful firmware update?

Again, any insights would be much appreciated.
Thanks much,
NC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	65033  
NinjaCrepes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
You said that nothing has changed and it said version 0 for you yet it says 3.0.3 (536720111) in your screenshot?

You've got the latest current public firmware for the K3. Nothing newer so far.

For future reference, you copy the specific file for your model Kindle to the Kindle drive. You go to the menu and select update. It will reboot several times and apply the update. If the option to update is greyed out then the file is for the wrong model, the file is corrupt or you've got a newer version of the firmware already.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 01:07 AM   #3
NinjaCrepes
love/hate Kindle

I said that prior to whatever weird update happened it said version 0, then after steps through 12, everything remained as the attachment.

I understand the correct steps to update the firmware, but because steps 2 through 12 were not per the instructions, yet there was a change in the version, (but with the strange number in parentheses after 3.0.3 of which I'd found no mention in the instructions or google search). So I wasn't sure if something had gone awry.

So it sounds like 3.0.3 (536720111) is normal? It's not just supposed to read 3.0.3?

Thanks & apologies if I was unclear.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Ahh okay. Yeah. Thats normal. The number in the brackets is like a build number and the build you've got is the public 3.0.3 build.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:43 PM   #5
NinjaCrepes
love/hate Kindle

Excellent. Thanks for the clarification--I thought I'd somehow effed things up. Glad to know that wasn't the case!
Old 01-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
NinjaCrepes
love/hate Kindle

Gracias!

Tags
firmware, firmware 3.0.3, kindle 3, mac