Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2011, 03:46 PM   #16
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The beta being tested has annotating and highlighting but at this point, only for kepub books. When we were given the beta for testing, the hope was to get it out quickly--I'm not sure, of course, how long it will be now that we have given our feedback. I do know that occasionally what appears to be a small issue can take a bit of time to fix. Then again, it could be released tonight. I have no insider knowledge on either possibility.

I have no idea whether highlighting and annotation will be available for other formats, either. I do know that when a Kobo staff person says something is coming--you can count on it.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:33 PM   #17
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Bah, anohter 'kepub' feature... 'tis a good thing Sony finally got their act together to put out a competitive epub reader.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 06:18 AM   #18
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Kobo releases small incremental updates. If you remember back a short while ago, the dictionary worked only for kepubs for a bit and later worked for epubs as well. I have no idea if this is what will happen with annotations and highlighting, of course.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:46 AM   #19
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, they might get around to it, and that's fine. But lets say someone asked me about e-readers today. What would I say? Well, you can get the Kobo, which is functional and innexpensive, but several of the features advertised dont' work with your existing e-book collection, unless you buy only from their store. (To be fair, the prices of e-books are very competitive, but it's a device locked drm'ed 'rental.' and I would never suggest anyone actually buy a collection of such, since it is guaranteed to eventually become useless.)

Or...

for $20 more, you can buy the Sony, which supports all the advertised features of the Kobo and and ton more.

A few months ago, that price difference was over $100 (if you could even find a Sony 6".). Now, however, the playing field is more level, and "we might get that working in an update" is not a very competitive proposition.

I know I sound a little netative, but I'm actually rooting for Kobo here (as I generally despise Sony on hardheaed/illogical principal.) But one of the things I see really holding Kobo back from realizing their vision of an ideal product is this insane segregation of kepub/epub reader software.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:02 AM   #20
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
but several of the features advertised dont' work with your existing e-book collection, unless you buy only from their store.
I'm curious... What features are advertised (and where) and don't work.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #21
rashkae
Wizard

Err, let see, Selection of text for one, (which is also the only way to create 'bookmarks' by the way.) There was dictionary at launch, though as mentioned that was updated away.

I guess "several" was a bit hyperbolic eh?
Old 10-13-2011, 11:38 AM   #22
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Err, let see, Selection of text for one, (which is also the only way to create 'bookmarks' by the way.) There was dictionary at launch, though as mentioned that was updated away.

I guess "several" was a bit hyperbolic eh?
You can add annotations to that, so "several" is not so out of touch...
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #23
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieGom View Post
You can add annotations to that, so "several" is not so out of touch...
When were annotations ever an advertised feature of the Kobo Touch?

Yes, there have been hints that it is coming in the upgrade but I don't remember ever reading that the KT was supposed to be able to do this.
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #24
pistoncito
pistoncito began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Hi all, I could make annotations but is there an esay way to export it that doesn't involve Facebook account?
pistoncito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #25
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistoncito View Post
Hi all, I could make annotations but is there an esay way to export it that doesn't involve Facebook account?
Not really. The Kobo desktop application will read them for kepubs, but there isn't any way to get them out of there. calibre will read annotations for sideloaded books and add them to the comments for the book. You can then cut-and-paste from there.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:39 AM   #26
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistoncito View Post
hi pistoncito,

per chance I posted (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...65&page=57#851) yesterday one possible way to export annotations (and highlighted passages) into a text file. As soon as I have time I write an application (for Windows) to make the process more comfortable. If you or anybody is interested let me now.

Tshering
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote