Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 06-07-2021, 05:35 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
On the other hand, the last page of the chapter may be just 4-5 lines long, and the first page probably has a title that takes that much space. So over all, the count might be even more correct than if you add 1
I remove all that excess space for chapter titles. And the last page of the chapter does vary from one line to almost a full page, But it's still a page ad it still counts.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 05:26 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I downloaded the latest nightly and I cannot find Footer: add "Include current page in pages left" setting (#8093) as an option. I'm probably missing something.
Advert
Old 08-18-2021, 06:06 AM   #18
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
It's on page 2 of settings (gear) → status bar → settings. Pages in the menus are something we generally try to avoid.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 10:17 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
It's on page 2 of settings (gear) → status bar → settings. Pages in the menus are something we generally try to avoid.
Thank you. It works very well.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-18-2021 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-19-2021, 02:15 AM   #20
LittleBiG
Zealot
LittleBiG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, K4NT, Kobo Mini
Actually the solution without the new option was absolutely okay. What you actually wanted was the "Page turns left" until the next chapter. So this naming about including the current page into the page left is just simply imperfect. True, but not logical.

Summarized in one sentence: when you are on the last page, there is no more page (0) until the next chapter, but still you have to turn page once (1) to reach it.
LittleBiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2021, 03:42 AM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBiG View Post
Actually the solution without the new option was absolutely okay. What you actually wanted was the "Page turns left" until the next chapter. So this naming about including the current page into the page left is just simply imperfect. True, but not logical.

Summarized in one sentence: when you are on the last page, there is no more page (0) until the next chapter, but still you have to turn page once (1) to reach it.
The solution without the new option was not OK. Every update lost the solution and it had to be put back.

The way I look at it, when I start a chapter that has say 16 pages, I have 16 pages to read until the next chapter. I don't have 15pages. When I am on the last page of the chapter, I have 1 page left to read.

The same goes for the number of pages in the book. The last page is not page 0 because that means I have no more pages left to read. But I do, I have 1 page left to read.

But whatever you think, you can have it your way now and that's very good.
Old 08-19-2021, 06:46 AM   #22
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I think the pages left should = 0 when you are on the last page of a chapter because that shouldn't include the current page.

You do not have more pages to read when you are reading the last page. Pages left are the pages not yet turned to!

| | | |

How many matches and spaces?

On a paper book if there are 342 pages and you are on page 341 are there two pages left or one? You subtract current page from number of pages because you already see current page even if you have not started reading it. And how is the ereader software to know if you have read the entire page and thinking about it before turning the page?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 04:16 PM   #23
LittleBiG
Zealot
LittleBiG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, K4NT, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I

| | | |

Indeed! We had to learn this early in school, we got the example with fence and fence posts. I am really happy that somebody other than me still remembers.
LittleBiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 05:04 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I think the pages left should = 0 when you are on the last page of a chapter because that shouldn't include the current page.

You do not have more pages to read when you are reading the last page. Pages left are the pages not yet turned to!

| | | |

On a paper book if there are 342 pages and you are on page 341 are there two pages left or one? You subtract current page from number of pages because you already see current page even if you have not started reading it. And how is the ereader software to know if you have read the entire page and thinking about it before turning the page?
With a pBook of 342 pages and you turn the page and are now at 341, you have two pages to read. So if I am on the last page of a chapter, I have 1 page left to read before I move on to the next chapter/section/end the book. I also have 1 page left to turn to move on from the end of the chapter.

If the chapter has 16 pages, when I am on the first page of the chapter, I know I have 16 pages to read. If thelast page of the chapter was to show as 0, I would see 15 at the start of the chapter and unless I remembered to do the math, I would be off by one page.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-19-2021 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-19-2021, 11:12 PM   #25
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With a pBook of 342 pages and you turn the page and are now at 341, you have two pages to read. So if I am on the last page of a chapter, I have 1 page left to read before I move on to the next chapter/section/end the book. I also have 1 page left to turn to move on from the end of the chapter.

If the chapter has 16 pages, when I am on the first page of the chapter, I know I have 16 pages to read. If thelast page of the chapter was to show as 0, I would see 15 at the start of the chapter and unless I remembered to do the math, I would be off by one page.
It just comes down to whether or not you include the current page in the total number remaining. I don't think you can say either choice is wrong. If koreader picks one side, then it's probably best to just accept that.

If you want to stick with your reasoning, then you should probably start numbering pages at 0, because you haven't read anything yet at the start of that page.
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 07:36 AM   #26
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
If you want to stick with your reasoning, then you should probably start numbering pages at 0, because you haven't read anything yet at the start of that page.
I believe I wrote the same thing almost word for word.

But the setting is there now, so everyone can relax.
Old 08-22-2021, 05:35 AM   #27
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
I also love this new option! Thank you guys!

I am going to add a Wiki article regarding this option to make things (hopefully) clear. I'll summarize my thoughts here from both perspectives. Please let me know if you think something is off in my reasoning.

I think all this polemic stems from the fact that there are actually two different perspectives on how to interpret "pages left" in a chapter/book. They both are fine within their own context and both definitely have a right to exist, and here is why.

1) Reader's perspective (when the new checkbox is ON).
In this perspective, on any given page the question is "How many pages are left to actually read to finish this chapter?". In other words, the "count" starts at the beginning of a current page.

Edges cases:
- You are on the 1/n page of a chapter. "Pages left" shows n.

- After (n-1) page turns, you are on the n/n page of a chapter. "Pages left" shows 1. So you are going to actually read one more page (this last one) before the chapter ends.

2) Code/rendering perspective (when the new checkbox is OFF).
In this perspective, on any given page the question is "How many pages are left to render to finish this chapter?". In other words, the "count" starts at the beginning of a next page.

Edges cases:
- You are on the 1/n page of a chapter. "Pages left" shows (n-1).

- After (n-1) page turns, you are on the n/n page of a chapter. "Pages left" shows 0, because there are no more pages to render that belong to current chapter.

In both cases, the respective sum of pages is consistent in their respective context, and I think there is no need to start counting from 0 in any case:
- In Reader's perspective, on the 1/n page, no pages are actually read (0), and there are "n" to go. So, 0+n = n.
- In Rendering perspective, on the 1/n page, 1 page is already rendered (1), and there are "(n-1)" to go. So, 1 + (n-1) = n.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:28 AM   #28
Frenzie
Wizard

I'd talk about n a lot less and call it something like text vs page-based perspective.

E.g., not:
Quote:
You are on the 1/n page of a chapter. "Pages left" shows n.
But:
Quote:
You're on the last page of a chapter. "Pages left" shows 1.
Also it's probably a lot less confusing to talk about paper books than to involve computer terminology like code and rendering. Do you still have to flip a page or not?

As an aside, the final page often looks a little something like in my attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2021-08-23 13.04.01-compressed.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	188863  
Old 08-23-2021, 02:46 PM   #29
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Would there be any interest in implementing/using a "chapterbar" like I had in e.g. Gulliver's Travels?

The idea would be an additional progress bar above or below the main progress bar, that shows only the pages in the current chapter, but with visible page boundaries, like a row of little boxes, one per page. Ideally all pages would be the same size, so short chapter would have short bars, long chapters longer bars (hoping that there are not many 100+ page chapters). Then one could use different shades for previous pages, current page, and following pages, and let the user do the counting, I think it could be intuitive for everyone.

So if you're currently on page 7 out of 10 in the chapter, it could look something like:

Code:
[#|#|#|#|#|#|o| | | ]
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 03:59 PM   #30
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Jellby: I'm not an "always-on" kind of person for the status bar, but this sounds fun, mildly useful, and not too gnarly to write .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote