Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-15-2020, 07:31 PM   #16
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Comparing with iPad Pro 11”, they are essentially the same size. 256GB configuration (max available for iPad Air), the Pro is $150 more, but it has LIDAR sensor, FaceID, 4 vs 2 speakers, more capable front camera, more video recording modes, ultra-wide camera, a few more pixels and ProMotion. Probably most people will just get the Air and save some money.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the Pro has more RAM too.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:52 PM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Tim says they are focusing on two products today, the Apple Watch and the iPad.

Apple Watch

Watch OS7 adds full range of VO2 Max monitoring. (Blood oxygen level.)

New band called Solo Loop that is one piece of stretchy silicon so it can be slipped on and off, available in various sizes. They also introduced a traditional leather band with a belt buckle type of clasp.

Introducing more affordable Apple Watch SE. Starts at $279. No blood oxygen monitor.

Watch series 6 starts at $399.

Series 3 still available, and starts at $199.

New series available this week.

Introduced new Fitness+ subscription service for $9.99/mo or $79.99/year.

Apple iPad

iPad 8th Gen
  • A12 processor
  • Neural processor
  • Pencil support
  • $329 starting price, available Friday Sept 18

iPad Air
  • A14 processor
  • Touch ID
  • 10.9 inch screen
  • USB-C
  • Apple Pencil and Magic Keyboard support
  • $599 starting price, available in October

OS Updates

Releasing iOS 14, iPadOS 14, Watch OS7, tvOS 14 all available Sept 16!

I have built web pages for both iPad 2020 and iPad Air 2020.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2020, 01:09 AM   #18
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Installed iPadOS 14 GM earlier on an iPad 7th gen. So far so good. Seems less finicky than beta 4-6. It’s only been a few hours though plus this iPad has 3 GB RAM, not just 2.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:18 AM   #19
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Installed iPadOS 14 GM earlier on an iPad 7th gen. So far so good. Seems less finicky than beta 4-6. It’s only been a few hours though plus this iPad has 3 GB RAM, not just 2.
I think I’ll give iPadOS 14 a go on my iPad mini 5 tomorrow. It also has 3GB RAM. I’m so tired of the wonky bugs in text entry with iPadOS 13. Just typing a few simple paragraphs takes forever due to screwing things like forcing uppercase for no apparent reason, goofy selection points, nearly impossible to activate spelling correction, etc. The text entry/editing is the worst I’ve ever seen on an iPad! It literally takes 10 times longer to type a few paragraphs on an iPad than it does on my MacBook Pro.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:10 AM   #20
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Comparing with iPad Pro 11”, they are essentially the same size. 256GB configuration (max available for iPad Air), the Pro is $150 more, but it has LIDAR sensor, FaceID, 4 vs 2 speakers, more capable front camera, more video recording modes, ultra-wide camera, a few more pixels and ProMotion. Probably most people will just get the Air and save some money.

I imagine we can expect a refresh of the Pro line in a few months with at least this chip.

Nice that WatchOS 7 has a Sleep app after all this time, though the 3rd party app I’ve been using has been entirely adequate.
I went ahead and purchased the iPad Pro 11" this weekend from Costco. Literally no one has Pro's in stock so I was surprised when they had one when I went into the store. I had thought I'd wait on the air. In addition to the differences you mention, the iPad pro has 600 nits of brightness max vs 500 for the air. I watch videos sometimes (netflix, movies I have digital copies for) on the screened porch so the extra brightness is welcome. At costco's price the pro was only 100 more than the air for the 256 gb version.

I have some macular degeneration in an eye that affects my reading vision and the pro fits the bill nicely at 11". It was getting tiring on a kindle voyage or kindle fire 8". It's been since the first generation iPad, that I had a full size one. Love reading on it. I also picked up a magic keyboard and pencil. It's not a shabby little laptop either.

The air will be attractive to a lot of people.

Last edited by drofgnal; 09-16-2020 at 06:12 AM.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2020, 09:27 AM   #21
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

I did an internet search and it seems the iPad Air 2019 has 3GB of RAM. I suspect the new Air will have about that amount too. The iPad Pro 11 inch has 6GB of RAM. That is twice as much as the previous Air. That is significant if you are running memory intensive apps.

But even 6GB of RAM is fairly small compared to workhorse laptops running 16GB or more of RAM.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:41 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
OS Updates

Releasing iOS 14, iPadOS 14, Watch OS7, tvOS 14 all available Sept 16!

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/09/16...-14-time-zones
Quote:
Here's a breakdown of when Apple's new operating systems are expected to become available based on other times zones in the United States and around the world:
  • Honolulu, Hawaii — 7:00 a.m. HAST
  • Anchorage, Alaska — 9:00 a.m. AKDT
  • Cupertino, California — 10:00 a.m. PDT
  • Phoenix, Arizona — 10:00 a.m. MST
  • Vancouver, Canada — 10:00 a.m. PDT
  • Denver, Colorado — 11:00 a.m. MDT
  • Dallas, Texas — 12:00 noon CDT
  • New York, New York — 1:00 p.m. EDT
  • Raleigh, North Carolina — 1:00 p.m. EDT
  • Toronto, Canada — 1:00 p.m. EDT
  • Halifax, Canada — 2:00 p.m. ADT
  • Rio de Janeiro, Brazil — 2:00 p.m. BRT
  • London, United Kingdom — 6:00 p.m. BST
  • Berlin, Germany — 7:00 p.m. CEST
  • Paris, France — 7:00 p.m. CEST
  • Cape Town, South Africa — 7:00 p.m. SAST
  • Moscow, Russia — 8:00 p.m. MSK
  • Helsinki, Finland — 8:00 p.m. EEST
  • Istanbul, Turkey — 8:00 p.m. TRT
  • Dubai, United Arab Emirates — 9:00 p.m. GST
  • Delhi, India — 10:30 p.m. IST
  • Jakarta, Indonesia — 12:00 a.m. WIB next day
  • Shanghai, China — 1:00 a.m. CST next day
  • Singapore — 1:00 a.m. SGT next day
  • Perth, Australia — 1:00 a.m. AWST next day
  • Hong Kong — 1:00 a.m. HKT next day
  • Seoul, South Korea — 2:00 a.m. KST next day
  • Tokyo, Japan — 2:00 a.m. JST next day
  • Adelaide, Australia — 2:30 a.m. ACST next day
  • Sydney, Australia — 3:00 a.m. AEST next day
  • Auckland, New Zealand — 5:00 a.m. NZST next day
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:45 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I did an internet search and it seems the iPad Air 2019 has 3GB of RAM. I suspect the new Air will have about that amount too. The iPad Pro 11 inch has 6GB of RAM. That is twice as much as the previous Air. That is significant if you are running memory intensive apps.

But even 6GB of RAM is fairly small compared to workhorse laptops running 16GB or more of RAM.
The difference is that the iPad runs apps and Windows laptops run programs.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:11 AM   #24
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The difference is that the iPad runs apps and Windows laptops run programs.
More to it than that general statement. For example, try running Adobe Lightroom on an iPad Pro to sync a set of changes to a hundred photos that are 24MB or greater each in size. Good luck with that. Apple claims the Pro is a laptop killer. I call BS on that. My elderly MacBook Pro from 2014 can easily complete this example task and even much more.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:20 AM   #25
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Sounds like a lot of developers are upset over Apple releasing the GM to them merely one day prior to releasing the public updates, thus giving them only one day to make updates to their apps. They seem to have been caught off guard by Apple releasing the public updates this soon.
Old 09-16-2020, 01:17 PM   #26
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Sounds like a lot of developers are upset over Apple releasing the GM to them merely one day prior to releasing the public updates, thus giving them only one day to make updates to their apps. They seem to have been caught off guard by Apple releasing the public updates this soon.
I don't know why. Apple usually releases the new OS soon after the announcements and before the new hardware ships. Of course, usually, the GM is out a couple of weeks for the announcement. The last several releases tend to be feature complete with new updates just being bug fixes. Developers should be able to simply do a regression test at this point.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:59 PM   #27
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Speaking of which, where are the updates? Perhaps they’ll drop later today, but ordinarily I would expect to see them by now (11am PST).
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 02:03 PM   #28
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

So much for the 10:00 AM PDT release time! I guess Apple forgot to set their alarm clock to get up before noon!

MacRumors says Apple has posted a new time of 12:30 PM PDT.

ETA: The latest comment from MacUser says, “ Based on different dates listed on Apple's website in different countries, it seems the release window for *iOS 14* is now between 11:30am-1:00pm Pacific / 2:30pm-4:00pm Eastern.”

My guess is Apple screwed up again and we will get it when we get...and no telling when that will be...

Last edited by OtinG; 09-16-2020 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:16 PM   #29
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

It is currently 11:14 am PDT and tvOS 14 is not available either. I don’t have an Apple Watch so no clue about watchOS 7.
Old 09-16-2020, 02:20 PM   #30
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Looking forward to the Apple One family bundle. As I already subscribe to 2tb of icloud, and Apple Music Family....and I WOULD likely be subscribing to Apple Tv+ when my free year finishes.

So that means Fitness+, Apple Arcade, and Apple News+ are free.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote