Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-20-2019, 09:38 AM   #1
briannicolas
briannicolas began at the beginning.

Device: Nenhum
I need help please

I wonder how do I read scanned pdf books on kindle, when I pass the book to kindke, it gets really bad to read, could anyone help me?
briannicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 11:19 AM   #2
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Kindle is not suited for reading pdf books. Even worst with scanned books. I don't know which Kindle You own but also with a 7" Oasis generally the result will be poor. You can't use the most important functions of the reader like increase o reduce font size, its sharpness and so on.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2019, 01:23 PM   #3
audeojude
Connoisseur
audeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshesaudeojude can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: kindle 1
I have to agree. After 14 years of kindle usage I just don't go there with pdfs. It's not really a kindle issue but a screen size issue. Your looking at a image of a page on a 6ish inch low resolution screen. Doesn't matter what brand e-reader you get it won't work well at all. Only two solutions.. Get a large format e-rider with 10inch or bigger screen, or use your computer to display it.
audeojude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 09:58 AM   #4
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Another option:

Use Adobe Acrobat to convert the PDF to Word (.rtf), use Calibre to convert the *.rtf to ePub, use Calibre to edit the ePub file (which will take a lot of time to fix everything), and then use Calibre to convert from ePub to AZW3.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 11:18 AM   #5
Brett Merkey
Not Quite Dead
Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brett Merkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4; Galaxy Tab
Quote:
Use Adobe Acrobat ...
Acrobat will also convert directly to .rtf, docx, etc. This is rarely an improvement tho.

One secret I learned in this forum (I think) is to open the .pdf in MobiPocket Creator. This free software will convert the .pdf to an html file. Import that file into Calibre, which does a great job of conserving links to images, etc.

This route can also have unsatisfactory results but, on the whole, I have found it to be the most reliable route to a satisfactory epub.

Last edited by Brett Merkey; 11-23-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Brett Merkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2019, 11:17 AM   #6
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Well but for scanned book before converting one must use some OCR software, and all depends on the quality of scanning.

And if the quality of scanning is very good and OCR is used then the file can exported in *.doc *.docx *.odt so can be easily converted in epub.

I have never done it, if I have pbook I read it because I like reading, not scanning.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:18 PM   #7
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Merkey View Post
Acrobat will also convert directly to .rtf, docx, etc. This is rarely an improvement tho.

One secret I learned in this forum (I think) is to open the .pdf in MobiPocket Creator. This free software will convert the .pdf to an html file. Import that file into Calibre, which does a great job of conserving links to images, etc.

This route can also have unsatisfactory results but, on the whole, I have found it to be the most reliable route to a satisfactory epub.
Thank you for mentioning MobiPocket Creator! I just experimented with it to convert some PDFs (scanned using ABBYY) to HTML to ePub and found that it works much better than Adobe Acrobat. There's still a lot of editing to do, but much less time will be needed.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote