Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-15-2017, 03:29 PM   #16
speaknut
speaknut will become famous soon enoughspeaknut will become famous soon enoughspeaknut will become famous soon enoughspeaknut will become famous soon enoughspeaknut will become famous soon enoughspeaknut will become famous soon enough

Device: Amazon kindle paper white
Yes. Thank you for your help sir. I had already downloaded, and I will read the book no matter what. But, did you do any changes in Style>font.css? I don't understand what do you mean by changing in body part? or, if you can give me the steps, I think I can follow up. for instance;

1. go to font folder, right click> add font> select the font you want to
embedded.
2. click on Plugin>Edit>CSSfromfonts and so on so forth...
speaknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:41 PM   #17
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by speaknut View Post
Yes. Thank you for your help sir. I had already downloaded, and I will read the book no matter what. But, did you do any changes in Style>font.css? I don't understand what do you mean by changing in body part? or, if you can give me the steps, I think I can follow up. for instance;

1. go to font folder, right click> add font> select the font you want to
embedded.
2. click on Plugin>Edit>CSSfromfonts and so on so forth...
Steps:

1. Create a blank epub in Sigil
2. Fonts, right click > Add existing files > ZawgyiOne.ttf
3. Styles, right click > Add blank Stylesheet (Style0001.css is created)
4. Edit Style0001.css as follows:

Code:
@font-face {
  font-family: "ZawgyiOne";
  font-weight: normal;
  font-style: normal;
  src: url(../Fonts/ZawgyiOne.ttf);
}

body {  font-family: "ZawgyiOne", serif; }
5. Text > Section0001.xhtml, right click > Link Stylesheets... > Select Style0001.css > Ok
6. Type some text inside <p> and </p> tags in Section0001.xhtml. I just copied and pasted some text in Burmese from a website.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2017, 03:44 PM   #18
speaknut
speaknut will become famous soon enoughspeaknut will become famous soon enoughspeaknut will become famous soon enoughspeaknut will become famous soon enoughspeaknut will become famous soon enoughspeaknut will become famous soon enough

Oh yes. I got it sir. You just change standard fonts to Zawgyi one.ttf and I was able to type and see the correct alphabets. Thank you sir. Thank you so very much. The rest will be OK.

Click image for larger version

Name:	33bh6s0.png
Views:	144
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	160682

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-15-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:48 PM   #19
speaknut

Thank you Mr Pablo. I don't know how do I know my gratitude to you. I do really appreciate sir.

Sincerely,
Speak nut
Old 12-15-2017, 03:52 PM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Please make sure your screenshots comply with our 600x600 pixel limit. Larger images can be attached to posts and thumb-nailed if need be. I've already fixed the ones I've encountered in this thread.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2017, 03:52 PM   #21
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you Mr Palbo. I don't know how do I know my gratitude to you. I do really appreciate sir.

Sincerely,
Speak nut
You're welcome! It's always a pleasure to help others.

When I came here I knew nothing about html/css and ebook formatting, I got a lot of help from other members of the community. I just try to give something back in return.

Have a nice day.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:54 PM   #22
speaknut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Please make sure your screenshots comply with our 600x600 pixel limit. Larger images can be attached to posts and thumb-nailed if need be. I've already fixed the ones I've encountered in this thread.
I am really sorry sir. I will make sure not to happen that again.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:56 PM   #23
speaknut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
You're welcome! It's always a pleasure to help others.

When I came here I knew nothing about html/css and ebook formatting, I got a lot of help from other members of the community. I just try to give something back in return.

Have a nice day.
If you have any great tips about how to format especially epubs, would you mind sharing it to me? I just want to learn more. Thanks.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:57 PM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am really sorry sir. I will make sure not to happen that again.
No problem. I'm sure you weren't aware.

It's probably a good idea to checkout the posting guidelines when you get a chance. Section 9 is where the image restrictions are described.

Happy to see your issue was resolved.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:57 PM   #25
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
If you have any great tips about how to format especially epubs, would you mind sharing it to me? I just want to learn more. Thanks.
All my "tips" are in the Tutorial.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:04 PM   #26
speaknut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
No problem. I'm sure you weren't aware.

It's probably a good idea to checkout the posting guidelines when you get a chance. Section 9 is where the image restrictions are described.

Happy to see your issue was resolved.
Yes. I will do that sir.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:05 PM   #27
speaknut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
All my "tips" are in the Tutorial.
Thank you sir, and sorry for being a pain.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:34 AM   #28
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
You need CSS code to properly embed a font. Your first course of action should be to google font embedding in epubs to learn how this is done.

Alternatively Sigil has a plugin that will try to build the required css from the font itself.

See the plugin index here for links to the CSSFromFonts plugin.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=247431
Kevin, does that work with any embedded font/language? Now that the KDP claims to support five Indian languages, there are many appeals on the KDP forum for help when the system doesn't seem to work for individual authors. I'd like to be able to point them to this discussion, if so.

Thanks!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:24 AM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Kevin, does that work with any embedded font/language? Now that the KDP claims to support five Indian languages, there are many appeals on the KDP forum for help when the system doesn't seem to work for individual authors. I'd like to be able to point them to this discussion, if so.

Thanks!
We make no claims about what may or may not work on the KDP platform with regard to embedded fonts. The plugin you're referring to is a third-party Sigil plugin for editing EPUBS. And while it's quite certain that the plugin will create the proper epub font-embedding css for any font encountered, there are no guarantees that it will work properly for every font embedded in an epub--let alone after it's been converted to a Kindlebook. In fact, it's already been pointed out that there are some fonts that are simply incompatible with ADE.

There are certain steps to ensure that everything has been done right from a coding standpoint to embed a font. But that does not mean every font properly embedded in an epub is going to display properly on every epub-reading system.

I would very much prefer you did NOT point to this discussion as the potential solution to all KDP authors' font embedding problems. Unless the plugin author claims to have specifically incorporated code that handles all of the potential quirks of converting epubs with embedded fonts to Kindlebooks, it wouldn't be fair to get their hopes up that a turnkey solution was being provided.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-17-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:05 PM   #30
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Kevin, does that work with any embedded font/language?
If you're referring to the CSSFromFont plugin (which I wrote), all it does is add font import statements to the main CSS file or a new CSS file, if no main CSS file exists.

For example, if you add the 4 Charis SIL fonts to the Fonts folder and run the plugin, it'll add the following:

Spoiler:
Code:
@font-face {
    font-family: 'Charis SIL';
    font-weight: bold;
    src: url('../Fonts/CharisSIL-B.ttf');
}

@font-face {
    font-weight: bold;
    font-style: italic;
    src: url('../Fonts/CharisSIL-BI.ttf');
}

@font-face {
    font-style: italic;
    src: url('../Fonts/CharisSIL-I.ttf');
}

@font-face {
    src: url('../Fonts/CharisSIL-R.ttf');
}

I.e., you'd still have to add font-family: 'Charis SIL'; to one of your styles for the embedded font to work. It's definitely not a turnkey solution!
Ebook designers with limited technical skills might be better off using Calibre for font embedding. (Preferences > Conversion > Common Options > Look & Feel > Embed font family.) For more information see the Calibre documentation.

Quote:
Now that the KDP claims to support five Indian languages, there are many appeals on the KDP forum for help when the system doesn't seem to work for individual authors.
Actually, Amazon added Indic Google Noto fonts, e.g. Google Noto Sans Bengali, to the firmware of all current eInk models back in January 2017.
I.e., KDP authors from India won't have to embed any fonts at all. Other authors also will rarely need to embed fonts for Kindle books, because current Kindle models and apps come with Code2000, which covers most Unicode 5.2 glyphs. (They also come with CJK fonts.)

If you have more Kindle font questions, please post them in the Kindle Formats forum.

Last edited by Doitsu; 12-17-2017 at 06:11 PM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote