Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-08-2017, 04:47 AM   #1
wxkingcisc
wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Exclamation custom font problem on Oasis - 5.8.10

Hello guys,

recently I upgraded my Oasis to version 5.8.10, and afterward there's a problem with custom font using Linkfonts.

I used to override the system's font with a .conf file in /mnt/us/linkfonts/etc/conf.d, after upgraded to 5.8.10 I re-installed Python and Linkfonts and uses the same .conf file as before, and the font override won't work on books of .kfx format, but works well on .azw3 book.

Does anyone run into the same issue as me, and is there a known solution for this?
wxkingcisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 04:52 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Don't read KFX format eBooks. Problem solved.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2017, 05:06 AM   #3
wxkingcisc
wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.wxkingcisc solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Don't read KFX format eBooks. Problem solved.
My KFX books are purchased and downloaded from Amazon, and I don't think Amazon will give me the choice of downloading .azw3 isntead of .kfx for a particular book

Those .azw3 books are fine, no matter they're downloaded from Amazon or copied from my pc.

Last edited by wxkingcisc; 08-08-2017 at 05:10 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:58 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxkingcisc View Post
Hello guys,

recently I upgraded my Oasis to version 5.8.10, and afterward there's a problem with custom font using Linkfonts.

I used to override the system's font with a .conf file in /mnt/us/linkfonts/etc/conf.d, after upgraded to 5.8.10 I re-installed Python and Linkfonts and uses the same .conf file as before, and the font override won't work on books of .kfx format, but works well on .azw3 book.

Does anyone run into the same issue as me, and is there a known solution for this?
From what thread did you download the packages from?
Did you use NiLuJe's snapshots thread?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:08 AM   #5
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
My KFX books are purchased and downloaded from Amazon, and I don't think Amazon will give me the choice of downloading .azw3 isntead of .kfx for a particular book

Those .azw3 books are fine, no matter they're downloaded from Amazon or copied from my pc.
If you use the download and transfer via. USB feature in the your kindle content page on the Amazon website they'll give you .azw3. Bit of a hassle but it's an option.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2017, 11:59 AM   #6
wxkingcisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
From what thread did you download the packages from?
Did you use NiLuJe's snapshots thread?
I downloaded the packages from this page:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

the font hack package for KOA is named "kindle-linkfonts-0.13.N-r13420.tar.xz", I think it's the newest version.

I've tried many ways but still it won't work on KFX file
Old 08-08-2017, 12:01 PM   #7
wxkingcisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
If you use the download and transfer via. USB feature in the your kindle content page on the Amazon website they'll give you .azw3. Bit of a hassle but it's an option.
thanks, I'll try this, if it woks and if there's no other way to fix this then I may need to download all the KFX books manually
Old 08-08-2017, 12:44 PM   #8
wxkingcisc

I tried to download .azw3 from Amazon manually and transferred into KOA via USB, then font override works. If I download the book from Amazon using KOA then the book appears to be .kfx, and font override won't work.

The .kfx books have the new align feature, which dies if I download the .azw3 from Amazon manually. Is it possible that something is wrong between the new align feature and .kfx?
Old 08-08-2017, 12:45 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I downloaded the packages from this page:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030

the font hack package for KOA is named "kindle-linkfonts-0.13.N-r13420.tar.xz", I think it's the newest version.

I've tried many ways but still it won't work on KFX file
Those should be the newest ones (KFX is also newest, as is your firmware version).

The person who maintains that add-in is away at school.
Not sure when he will be back to work on problems.

There is more than one "reader" in the firmware.
If all you needed was different sizes, I was going to suggest FONT_RAMP.
Ah, but that does not affect the KFX reader either (IIRC).

I think the bottom line here is try the alternative(s) suggested.

Note:
The screensaver "cover mode" has recently been fixed for the KFX book formats (there is more than one).
Old 08-08-2017, 12:48 PM   #10
wxkingcisc

Quote:
Those should be the newest ones (KFX is also newest, as is your firmware version).

Note:
The screensaver "cover mode" has recently been fixed for the KFX book formats (there is more than one).

Thanks, at least there's an option for me to read my books with altered font, and I don't really need the new align feature
Old 08-08-2017, 01:13 PM   #11
wxkingcisc

Quote:

Note:
Just fond something that may be REALLY useful:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=288836

I have a KPW3 with firmware version 5.8.9 and it does not have font override problem, so if I downgrade my KOA to 5.8.9 then Linkfonts should work for .kfx books again!!
Old 08-08-2017, 01:54 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Just fond something that may be REALLY useful:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=288836

I have a KPW3 with firmware version 5.8.9 and it does not have font override problem, so if I downgrade my KOA to 5.8.9 then Linkfonts should work for .kfx books again!!
That was written about his PW3.
I think you should ask him about it before using it on a KOA.
I don't know if he intended it to be used on anything other than a PW3.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:53 PM   #13
wxkingcisc

Quote:
That was written about his PW3.
I think you should ask him about it before using it on a KOA.
I don't know if he intended it to be used on anything other than a PW3.
I've sent Coplate a private message, wishing it'll work on KOA

I'm pretty sure that it's because 5.8.10, back on 5.8.9 my KOA had no problem overriding font of any book.

If the downgrade Coplate did can only work on PW3, is there any way that I can downgrade my KOA from 5.8.10 to 5.8.9?

Last edited by wxkingcisc; 08-08-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:19 PM   #14
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
I've sent Coplate a private message, wishing it'll work on KOA

I'm pretty sure that it's because 5.8.10, back on 5.8.9 my KOA had no problem overriding font of any book.

If the downgrade Coplate did can only work on PW3, is there any way that I can downgrade my KOA from 5.8.10 to 5.8.9?

As far as I know the downgrade thread I wrote should work on anythng that 5.8.8 and higher, just make sure you have the right packages for your device.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 02:08 AM   #15
wxkingcisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
As far as I know the downgrade thread I wrote should work on anythng that 5.8.8 and higher, just make sure you have the right packages for your device.
IT WORKS PRETTY WELL!!

I did not upgrade to any version higher than 5.7.4 and lower than 5.8.7 after flashing the factory initial 5.7.4, I just run the jail break process again and did the hotfix, then upgraded to 5.8.9. It's a bit risky, if the jail break did not survive to 5.8.9 then I have no way to downgrade it again, but I think it should work the way as I jail broke it the first time, and it survives.

Now I have my KOA runing on 5.8.9 and font override works for all the books. With this way I can get back to any version any time that I want.

Many thanks to @knc1 and @coplate!!

Last edited by wxkingcisc; 08-09-2017 at 05:09 AM.

Tags
font, kindle, linkfonts, oasis