Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-10-2016, 03:28 PM   #91
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw3 View Post
i forgot that i had did the hotplug fix

my steps were:

a. freak out when i saw it had updated
b. check if all my files were still on the kindle
c. try to do the experimental browser break again
4. cp -r everything on the kindle to local hd
e. factory reset (all files gone) <--- NEVER, EVER touch that button
f. copy jb zip to try browser break again which didn't work
g. cp -r everything backed up locally to the kindle root
h. try to shut it off to break case open
9. rebooted and it jb'd itself

thanks again!
You came very close to destroying all you had done, see note above.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 03:33 PM   #92
pw3
pw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with others

Device: pw3,aura,koa2
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You came very close to destroying all you had done, see note above.
lucky for linux cp -r!
pw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2016, 05:46 PM   #93
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pw3 View Post
lucky for linux cp -r!
No - you are missing the point - -

The Linux system tree on the Kindle only has two writable portions:
/mnt/us and /var/local
Over USB, you can only see /mnt/us
All of the rest is hidden from view (or the reach of cp over the USB cable).

The 'jailbreak' (our signature certificate) resides outside of those two sub-trees.
The Amazon update image (which is a complete image, except for /var/local and /mnt/us over-writes everything else - including the certificate and some minor links that make the 'bridging code' work.)

So once you have installed a new image - the system must reboot to re-install the parts of the jailbreak that had been over-written.

The 'Reset (to factory defaults)' button clears both /var/local and /mnt/us.
The main portions of the 'bridge' code lives in /var/local.

So the order:
factory reset -
install update image

Destroys the bridge code and the jailbreak files (in that order).

The order:
install update image -
reboot (part of the update installation) -
factory reset -

Can and will sometimes be survivable.
Usually that requires using the 'hotfix' package (see the order? the re-boot restores the certificate and then the reset deleted everything except the certificate).
Old 04-10-2016, 06:15 PM   #94
pw3
pw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with otherspw3 plays well with others

Device: pw3,aura,koa2
Quote:
No - you are missing the point - -

The Linux system tree on the Kindle only has two writable portions:
/mnt/us and /var/local
Over USB, you can only see /mnt/us
All of the rest is hidden from view (or the reach of cp over the USB cable).

The 'jailbreak' (our signature certificate) resides outside of those two sub-trees.
The Amazon update image (which is a complete image, except for /var/local and /mnt/us over-writes everything else - including the certificate and some minor links that make the 'bridging code' work.)

So once you have installed a new image - the system must reboot to re-install the parts of the jailbreak that had been over-written.

The 'Reset (to factory defaults)' button clears both /var/local and /mnt/us.
The main portions of the 'bridge' code lives in /var/local.

So the order:
factory reset -
install update image

Destroys the bridge code and the jailbreak files (in that order).

The order:
install update image -
reboot (part of the update installation) -
factory reset -

Can and will sometimes be survivable.
Usually that requires using the 'hotfix' package (see the order? the re-boot restores the certificate and then the reset deleted everything except the certificate).
that was a masterful explanation

pw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:30 AM   #95
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
The serial port connection point has been standardized on the K4..KV devices. It is way too small a pad layout to install pins.
No pins, but standard IDE ribbon cable has the right spacing, so no need to split the wires apart: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166687

If you DO solder wires, be certain to tape them down so you do not rip the serial port pads off the circuit board like I did. I did find other places to solder fine enabled wire (harvested from a CFL lamp) after that, but better off not risking it...

Though the Oasis seems to not follow that standard (according to photos) unless the serial port pads are on the back side.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-09-2016 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Fix cellphone typos... ;(
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2016, 09:38 AM   #96
Galunid
Zealot
Galunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: KPW3, Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Nova 2
Are there any known replacements to http://jim.sh board? Looking through this thread I've found http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PCS-...572439616.html
But it looks like it it not for permanent usage.
Will this one do? https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12731
Thanks in advance!
Galunid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:59 AM   #97
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galunid View Post
Are there any known replacements to http://jim.sh board? Looking through this thread I've found http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PCS-...572439616.html
But it looks like it it not for permanent usage.
Will this one do? https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12731
Thanks in advance!
The first one (the cable-adapter) use as-is, with only Tx, Rx and Gnd connected.

The second one (which may be too big to get inside the case) -
See on the schematic where VCCIO is connected to switch, giving choice of 3v3 or 5v0 operation?
Disconnect that, bring out the VCCIO lead to the I/O voltage reference from the Kindle (then it will work 1v8 also).

You might double check that in the part datasheet - that the device will work at 1v8 if you use an external reference.

= = = =

I just noticed myself that "Jim" is out of stock (again) - -
Maybe an e-mail campaign would help get him moving on re-stocking that board.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:11 AM   #98
Galunid
Zealot
Galunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: KPW3, Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Nova 2
Many thanks, for your help.
May you just look for this https://www.pololu.com/product/1308
Quote:
This carrier board connects the VIO pin of the CP2104 to VDD by default, setting its logic voltage level to the 3.45 V provided by the IC’s built-in voltage regulator. If you want to use a lower logic voltage, you can disconnect VIO from VDD by cutting the thin trace between the two pads of the surface-mount jumper shown to the right. You can then solder a thin wire to the exposed via labeled “VIO” and connect it to a separate voltage supply (as low as 1.8 V).
I cannot find another alternatives.
One more time
Galunid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:49 PM   #99
knc1
Going Viral

yup, follow those directions about connecting an external reference and that one will work also.

Note:
A Lithium Iron Disulfide battery, such as the Energizer Ultimate Lithium, has an open circuit voltage of 1.8 volts.
Since your only setting the reference of the CMOS I/O interface, "open circuit" is what the dry cell will be working at (for approximately longer than the Kindle will last).

So a quiet, precision, external, reference level is easy to find.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:48 AM   #100
TheNeedforRead
TheNeedforRead began at the beginning.

Device: Voyage 5.7.4
Hello all, great community you have here!

I will soon be the lucky owner of a pre-owned Voyage, which the owner tells me has never been jailbroken, and which is running 5.7.4.

Initially disheartened that a software jailbreak is not currently an option for me, I have decided to take the plunge and attempt the serial jailbreak method helpfully described by grant2.

I am based in UK, and I am trying to source a suitably priced USB Serial Converter board.
(I have a soldering iron, but the less delicately I am required to use it the better, so a board with cables pre-attached - which I can use in conjunction with the pin method - appeals to me)
Would someone take a moment confirm for me whether this one is up to task?
And if not, perhaps suggest a UK alternative, preferably for less than £20?

'USB-TTL serial cable, 1.8V/100mA output'

TL-232RG-VREG1V8-WE
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/715-8525/
TheNeedforRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:11 AM   #101
knc1
Going Viral

Yes - that is the one we will be shipping to NiLuJe.

You only need to connect the Tx, Rx, Gnd leads, tape back the others.

You might want to pop for that tube of conductive paint on the same page you linked to -
then you can skip the hot soldering of tiny connects.

You will want to use short lengths of 30ga wire to connect to the Kindle, not those monster sized (24ga) wires of the adapter cable directly.

Don't forget to glue the wires in-place, for a strain relief - those pads pull off the board real easy.
a 5-minute epoxy spots make good strain reliefs.

I will probably be installing a low profile, 2.5mm stereo jack in the top edge of his PW-3 rather than make a non-removable attachment.

Last edited by knc1; 05-20-2016 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:34 AM   #102
TheNeedforRead

Thanks for a response so prompt that I missed it, knc1. I've ordered board and paint and will set about ripping things to bits this week.

My Voyage arrived this morning, de-registered.
This is my first Kindle so I do not yet have an account. Is there any advantage to not registering in advance of the serial jailbreak - Or should I register, THEN put my device in Aeroplane Mode, and jailbreak?

Last edited by TheNeedforRead; 05-21-2016 at 09:54 AM. Reason: supplemental
Old 05-21-2016, 09:56 AM   #103
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeedforRead View Post
Thanks for a response so prompt that I missed it, knc1. I've ordered board and paint and will set about ripping things to bits this week.

My Voyage arrived this morning, de-registered.
This is my first Kindle so I do not yet have an account.
Is there any advantage to not registering in advance of the serial jailbreak, or should I go ahead and connect to my home Wifi network (which seems to to be an unavoidable first step if I want to access any options) ?
Changing the registration status will **always** require the jb to be re-installed.
If you have done both the jb and run the 'hotfix' - then the jb **should** self re-install when the device is rebooted.

Note: The process of registration commits you to Amazon's EULA.

= = = =

It is **not** an unavoidable first step -
Let the device search for a connection point -
after the search is finished, look for fine print near bottom of screen: "Complete registration" (or "Complete setup" or similar) -
touch that and get on with your life.

= = = =

In blue bar above, while logged in, in the 'thread tools' drop-down box -
select 'subscribe' - select 'instant'
then remember to check your e-mail

Also, in the member's CP (control panel) you can set your subscription preference to do the above auto-magically for any thread you post in.

Last edited by knc1; 05-21-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:31 AM   #104
TheNeedforRead

Subscribed

Found the 'setup later' option, thanks.

Just to make sure I understand; Should I jailbreak my device with status "Unregistered" (since I own no Kindle books, and am using mine primarily for learning lines of dialogue), or do I need to register an account in order for the jailbreak to work?

If the latter, I'll register today then stay permanently offline.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:47 AM   #105
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeedforRead View Post
Subscribed

Found the 'setup later' option, thanks.

Just to make sure I understand; Should I jailbreak my device with status "Unregistered" (since I own no Kindle books, and am using mine primarily for learning lines of dialogue), or do I need to register an account in order for the jailbreak to work?

If the latter, I'll register today then stay permanently offline.
Jaibreak works without amazon registration. Add any jailbreak bridge and/or rescue packs so that if you do get a firmware update while online, you can recover your jailbreak (usually "temporarily" lost during a firmware update).

Only about 10-percent of my kindles are registered (the most recent one calls itself "Rob's 15th Kindle"). The hacks run fine on both my registered and my unregistered kindles.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
serial jailbreak