Notices

Old 06-04-2022, 12:45 PM   #1
Jacques Q.
Connoisseur
Jacques Q. began at the beginning.

Device: quite a few Kindles...
extensions "lost"

Hello.
My computer underwent some maintenance, so I reinstalled Calibre (4.23, because all 5 versions do not allow me to create catalogues, no idea why, but no big deal since 4.23 works fine).
But now, when I go to "Preferences -> Get extensions" (maybe not the exact titles but I use it in French), a message says "Impossible to access the official page of the extension" (just "the" extension, though there is none present), and when I click "OK" I get a "user's extensions" page, but without any possibility to access any extension at all.
What am I doing wrong ?...
Thanks in advance for any help, it will be appreciated.
Jacques Q. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 01:10 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Are you asking about calibre or calibre companion? My guess is calibre, and you are looking at Préférences / Avancé / Extensions, then possibly "Obtenir de nouvelles extensions".

Under the assumption I am right I will move your question to the calibre forum. I can move it back if I am wrong.

As for your problem: check that your firewall permits calibre to use the network.

Moderator Notice
Moved to the calibre "Plugins" forum
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2022, 01:25 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Q. View Post
Hello.
My computer underwent some maintenance, so I reinstalled Calibre (4.23, because all 5 versions do not allow me to create catalogues, no idea why, but no big deal since 4.23 works fine).
But now, when I go to "Preferences -> Get extensions" (maybe not the exact titles but I use it in French), a message says "Impossible to access the official page of the extension" (just "the" extension, though there is none present), and when I click "OK" I get a "user's extensions" page, but without any possibility to access any extension at all.
What am I doing wrong ?...
Thanks in advance for any help, it will be appreciated.
I suggest you install the latest Calibre 5. Creating catalogues is there.

To begin catalog generation, select the menu item Convert books > Create a catalog of the books in your Calibre library. You may also add a Create catalog button to a toolbar in Preferences > Interface > Toolbars & menus for easier access to the Generate catalog dialog.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 08:48 AM   #4
Jacques Q.
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I suggest you install the latest Calibre 5. Creating catalogues is there.

To begin catalog generation, select the menu item Convert books > Create a catalog of the books in your Calibre library. You may also add a Create catalog button to a toolbar in Preferences > Interface > Toolbars & menus for easier access to the Generate catalog dialog.
Hello.
You are right, it IS there, except every Time I tried it the cataogue was indeed created (and faster than in Calibre 4.23), but for some unknown reason it never showed up un the list of books... Mr. Goyal suggested it had something to do with anti-virus, but I use rather basic stuff, so I guess this can't be the reason and I just gave up for now.
Old 06-05-2022, 08:49 AM   #5
Jacques Q.
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Are you asking about calibre or calibre companion? My guess is calibre, and you are looking at Préférences / Avancé / Extensions, then possibly "Obtenir de nouvelles extensions".

Under the assumption I am right I will move your question to the calibre forum. I can move it back if I am wrong.

As for your problem: check that your firewall permits calibre to use the network.

Moved to the calibre "Plugins" forum
Hello.
Your assumptions are correct, so I'll go check there, thanks.
Advert
Old 06-05-2022, 09:05 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Q. View Post
Hello.
You are right, it IS there, except every Time I tried it the cataogue was indeed created (and faster than in Calibre 4.23), but for some unknown reason it never showed up un the list of books... Mr. Goyal suggested it had something to do with anti-virus, but I use rather basic stuff, so I guess this can't be the reason and I just gave up for now.
Did you have Add catalog to library checked in Calibre 5? If not install Calibre 5 and try again.

The thing to do when you do try it again is to try it with your AV working and with your AV stopped if it didn't work int he first place.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 11:29 PM   #7
Jacques Q.
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Did you have Add catalog to library checked in Calibre 5? If not install Calibre 5 and try again.

The thing to do when you do try it again is to try it with your AV working and with your AV stopped if it didn't work int he first place.
Hello.
I was wrong having cold feet after all. I did install Calibre 5 and :
1/ all extensions are now available (still I don't get why they shouldn't be available with 4.23, considering many of them were developed prior to Calibre 5),
2/ the catalogue I created was indeed added to the library,
3/ additionally, the DeDRM plugin now has a version working with Calibre 5.
So for me, everything settled, thanks for being helpful.

Still, if someone, for whatever reason, wishes to still use a pre-5 Calibre version, I think the extensions should still be available to them after a new installation - which in my case they were not.
Old 06-05-2022, 11:47 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Did you install the calibre 4.nn and 5.nn under the same User accounts? By default plugins/extensions are stored within the Users 'home' directory (e.g. on Windows, they're at C:\Users\<whoever>\Appdata\Roaming\calibre\plugins

That location can be changed via the CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY environment directive. Do you make any use of it?
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 03:02 AM   #9
Jacques Q.
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Did you install the calibre 4.nn and 5.nn under the same User accounts? By default plugins/extensions are stored within the Users 'home' directory (e.g. on Windows, they're at C:\Users\<whoever>\Appdata\Roaming\calibre\plugins

That location can be changed via the CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY environment directive. Do you make any use of it?
Hello.
This didn't occur to me, since I always use one and the same account. I'll check whether my computer abilities are sufficient to see what's possible with "the CALIBRE_CONFIG_DIRECTORY environment directive", but more out of curiosity, since, with everything now working for me with Calibre 5, I don't plan to make any more changes any time soon !