Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-22-2022, 11:53 AM   #16
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually
SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nova Air C
I'm stuck in bootloader mode (fastboot reboot bootloader). The device is then not recognized. I uninstalled the google driver, turned off the driver signing and reinstalled it, didn't help either. windows 11
SleepWithMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 12:55 PM   #17
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Can you see (like with UsbView.exe) that you're really in fastboot?
How does it look in Device Manager (exclamation marks)?

One option is that you install a WinUSB driver using Zadig.
You could then use my modified "fastbogus" instead of fastboot.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2022, 01:16 PM   #18
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually
SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Hi renate,

yes i am in fastboot, from the fstboot screen on the device i can also enter bootloader. Trying to enter bootloader and from then on my device is no longer recognized in the device manager (exclamation mark)

where can i find fastbogus and how does it work ?
Old 04-22-2022, 01:45 PM   #19
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The first step is to see if you can Zadig in a WinUSB driver for it.
fastbogus was posted here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=38

It's a slight modification. The stock fastboot requires an interface of ff/42/03 and a Windows driver interface GUID of <Android>. fastbogus just looks for ff/42/03 and a GUID of <something USB> which loosens up the requirements on the driver.
Old 04-22-2022, 02:06 PM   #20
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually

zagig usb driver installes but its the same

i cant download fastbogus.zip, tried on my winpc it says virus, on my tablet too, is there any other source for the file (maybe unpacked) ?
Advert
Old 04-22-2022, 02:17 PM   #21
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWithMachine View Post
zagig usb driver installes but its the same
Oh? Do you mean same or same, same. Or maybe same but different?
Do you still have an exclamation mark in Device Manager?
If you don't, that would be different.
Old 04-22-2022, 02:24 PM   #22
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually

no exclamation marks anymore renate. But the behavior is the same, the nova c does not respond and the pc says (waiting for device)
Old 04-22-2022, 02:38 PM   #23
Renate
Wizard

Well, yes, of course, because you're not using fastbogus.

This file is not compressed (nor a prc file). Simply rename .exe
Attached Files
File Type: prc fastbogus.prc (1.29 MB, 147 views)
Old 04-22-2022, 02:46 PM   #24
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually

fastbogus finally did it

thanks again renate !!
Old 04-24-2022, 05:00 AM   #25
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually

trying to edit build.prop but i can't get write permissions to /system
Old 04-24-2022, 07:31 AM   #26
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWithMachine View Post
trying to edit build.prop but i can't get write permissions to /system
The first question would be, "What do you want to change and why?"
The next is: Are you using a Magisk module to do this?

Since time immemorial /system has been mounted read-only in Android. So if we were talking about a 10 year old Android Jellybean phone I'd point to that.

Since we're presumably talking about a modern Onyx device, I'll point out that /system is not only mounted read-only, it is protected by dm-verity and FEC error correction. If you are using Magisk and if you have written a custom Magisk module to "shadow" the read-only /system/build.prop with your custom version in /data/adb/modules/Whatever/system/build.prop, then ok.

Finally, there is the Magisk-free method which involves actually changing /system, which gets a bit more complicated. I do that.
Old 04-24-2022, 07:45 AM   #27
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually

Thanks for the explanation, I'm obviously not up to date

The last time I got that deep into the system was on Android 6, changing some code to make the navbar visible
Old 04-24-2022, 10:08 AM   #28
Renate
Wizard

I've never looked into the NavBar that deeply. In any case, I don't think that there is anything in build.prop for that. About the only thing in build.prop that anybody would be likely to change would be ro.sf.hwrotation to force your device to be natively landscape.

So, it's here:
Code:
/system/framework/framework-res.apk
   res/values/bools.xml
      <bool name="config_showNavigationBar">false</bool>
I looked to replacing this with an RRO (runtime resource overlay) but it appears it doesn't like my non-system signing.

It probably will be possible to binary modify framework-res.apk so that the signing is (hardly) impacted. I just have to figure out which bit in a 10M file needs to be flipped!

Edit: Well, I figured out which bits (32 of 'em) need to be flipped.
I can get a navigation bar, but there is still the issue of getting a black background on the NavBar on some apps. There is also a weird new left and right margin that appears.

Last edited by Renate; 04-25-2022 at 08:24 AM.
Old 04-25-2022, 08:38 AM   #29
wakkaday
Groupie
wakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy bluewakkaday can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle Oasis
im getting this error on the step 5. adb reboot edl

The command adb was not found, but does exist in the current location. Windows PowerShell does not load commands from the current location by default. If you trust this command, instead type: ".\adb". See "get-help about_Command_Precedence" for more details.
PS C:\Users\wakkaday\OneDrive\Desktop\boox\platform-tools> adb reboot edl

i have usb debugging enabled on device
i have the adb platform-tools installed on my windows pc
it shows device is attached.

Last edited by wakkaday; 04-25-2022 at 09:37 AM.
wakkaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:03 AM   #30
Renate
Wizard

Well, apparently Windows 11 has gotten more persnickety and is pretending that it's Linux. Or else that's just PowerShell. Whatever. Did ".\adb reboot edl" work? Are you trying to use my edl.exe (in the sig) or the Python version from someone else? Do you have a Nova Air C? I'm losing track. Is your goal to install Magisk?