Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-08-2021, 01:31 PM   #46
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
First haircut by someone other than myself in well over a year today (went to an actual business)! I'm ecstatic that I didn't have to do it, but I'm also a little disappointed in that I feel like I need to go home and "touch it up" a bit.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:14 PM   #47
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
We were back to our regular hair stylist in June of 2020. She rents a space in a larger salon, but the spaces are all separated by walls. She shares the space with one other gal. You couldn't wait inside, and they couldn't double up on appointments, and clients getting longer processes had to stay in her space. All the chairs and benches in the common areas were removed until June of this year.

So we only missed 2 months of cuts, hubby and I both go every 4 weeks, and I let my hair go grey. Took 9-10 months to get it all grown out. Our stylist still has a few clients who wear a mask while there.

My SIL got her hair colored and cut last week, first time since March of 2020. She was being very very cautious. I don't think she has been inside any store since then either.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2021, 06:50 PM   #48
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
In December, in desperation, I went to one of those strip mall places that spritz your hair and cut it. My hair is hard to cut; it’s thick, coarse and dry. She chopped off about six inches, but that wasn’t enough then and here I am now. It’s not pretty, but in a way it’s easier in summer to be able to pull my hair up into a messy bun. I’m still hoping to start a swimming regimen, which I couldn’t do last summer. Other summers, I’ve swum every day. . Oh, how I’ve missed it!
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 08:48 PM   #49
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
My resistance comes from the fact that I'm unable to get used to wearing one. I feel terrible discomfort when I'm wearing a mask, like I'm suffocating. It didn't get better with time, even though I wore masks for half a year from November until June. In no way am I able to conduct a nearly normal life while wearing a mask.
Hey but you were a trooper and persevered. I made duck billed masks for my brother in FL. Helped a lot with that suffocating issue. These are masks that look rather silly but go way out about 6 inches from the mouth and nostrils. After I made him some, I made another 40 for his doctor to give out to some of his other patients who were having the same problem.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 11:32 AM   #50
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
I went to get a haircut back in April after I was fully vaccinated. First one in about a year. I was getting tired of what I called my "accidental mullet"! I live alone and tried to keep my hair cut myself, and I did okay, sort of, on the front and sides. However, with bad arthritis in my shoulders I couldn't reach the back well enough to keep it trimmed. So it grew out into a lengthy mess! I was more interested in keeping my hair out of my face and off of my ears. It looked really bad, but since I wasn't going out much and could wear a hat, it wasn't a high priority. Besides, when I did go out on occasion, I saw a lot of other guys with homemade haircuts that looked terrible, so I didn't feel as bad. We were all in the same boat!

Back in April I had the stylists cut my hair really short. Basically I got a buzz cut. She had to stop laughing first though!
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2021, 12:38 PM   #51
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I've had my hair cut at my usual hairdresser every two months as always, and so did everyone else I know. No one has had homemade haircuts here, at least as much as I could see. Hair salons never ceased to operate here.

From what I've read on MR it seems people in smaller towns are more afraid of the virus than those living in (relatively) large cities. I could be wrong, of course.

My sister had Covid twice, once in March 2020 and the second time in April 2021. But even after being ill she never went out of her way to avoid it. And that seems to be the general attitude of most people here. We adhered to the restrictions when they were in place, but otherwise life went on much as usual.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 12:40 PM   #52
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Hey but you were a trooper and persevered. I made duck billed masks for my brother in FL. Helped a lot with that suffocating issue. These are masks that look rather silly but go way out about 6 inches from the mouth and nostrils. After I made him some, I made another 40 for his doctor to give out to some of his other patients who were having the same problem.
I would like to try one of those.
Old 07-09-2021, 12:56 PM   #53
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I've had my hair cut at my usual hairdresser every two months as always, and so did everyone else I know. No one has had homemade haircuts here, at least as much as I could see. Hair salons never ceased to operate here.
Whereas here hair salons were closed on several occasions since it's hard to claim getting your hair cut is a essential service. It probably didn't help that several cases of Covid-19 were traced back to hair salons/barber shops/etc.

Quote:
From what I've read on MR it seems people in smaller towns are more afraid of the virus than those living in (relatively) large cities. I could be wrong, of course.
Around here, it seems to be the opposite. The people in the larger cities don't know as many of the people they might meet just walking around unlike smaller towns where you know many of the people you may meet while out and about. A false sense of safety seems to ensue.

Quote:
My sister had Covid twice, once in March 2020 and the second time in April 2021. But even after being ill she never went out of her way to avoid it. And that seems to be the general attitude of most people here. We adhered to the restrictions when they were in place, but otherwise life went on much as usual.
From some of the posts on MR and elsewhere, it seems that many people in Europe tended to treat restrictions as being for other people. Hmmm... much the same as most of the world.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 01:29 PM   #54
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
From some of the posts on MR and elsewhere, it seems that many people in Europe tended to treat restrictions as being for other people. Hmmm... much the same as most of the world.
Well, all I can say is that most people seemed to heed them here. Most also wore masks when those were mandatory. Of course there were exceptions, as everywhere else.

Services, like hair salons, were left open here. Non-essential stores, entertainment venues, pubs and restaurants were closed.
Old 07-10-2021, 12:27 AM   #55
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I was also never able to find a mask that didn't fog up my glasses. I tried many versions, many ideas to prevent the fogging, and for that entire time of mandatory masks, I never solved the issue.
Surgeons have been dealing with this for decades. (And it's pretty important to be able to see!) Soap or antifog spray on the glasses; wire well moulded to the nose, tape over the bridge, glasses wedged down on top of the wire area.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 04:08 AM   #56
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
Misting up glasses has been the keynote of mask wearing for me. Even on warm days, my heated breath always seems warmer than the ambient air temperature and suddenly I am temporarily blind! Well, foggy at any rate....
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:13 PM   #57
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by timebug View Post
Misting up glasses has been the keynote of mask wearing for me. Even on warm days, my heated breath always seems warmer than the ambient air temperature and suddenly I am temporarily blind! Well, foggy at any rate....
I picked up a little bottle of Liberty Sports' Fog Blok and apply it after cleaning my glasses. Works quite well.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 03:40 AM   #58
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
A neighbour of mine told me that although he had minimal side effects from his first jab,and none (at the time) from his second one, that he has been getting regular headaches ever since. I advised seeking medical advice; he chose to not do that, so it is his choice.
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:56 AM   #59
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Surgeons have been dealing with this for decades. (And it's pretty important to be able to see!) Soap or antifog spray on the glasses; wire well moulded to the nose, tape over the bridge, glasses wedged down on top of the wire area.
My eye doctor says the anti-fog sprays can damage the coating on my lenses, so I can't use it. The lenses on my glasses cost $1,000, I can't afford to damage them.

When I say tried every solution, I really did. Extra wires, mask high on bridge of nose and pinched tight, etc. That causes the nose pieces on my glasses to ride too high, which throws off my vision through the progressive lenses.

My prescription is tricky because my vision is so bad. If my glasses don't sit exactly right on my face, it throws off the "sweet spot" and affects how well I can see.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:25 AM   #60
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
When I say tried every solution, I really did. Extra wires, mask high on bridge of nose and pinched tight, etc. That causes the nose pieces on my glasses to ride too high, which throws off my vision through the progressive lenses.

My prescription is tricky because my vision is so bad. If my glasses don't sit exactly right on my face, it throws off the "sweet spot" and affects how well I can see.
I hear you; I have high myopia and progressive lenses also. Have you tried the soap trick? If so and that's failed, try tape. I used it pretty routinely in theatre.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote