Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-29-2022, 01:24 PM   #136
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
No. Your confirmation bias merely supplied you with something you wanted me to have said.

Some people simply aren't cut out for manual labor. I don't regret (or begrudge) any of the sweat, sore muscles, or long hours I've traded for paychecks over the years.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-29-2022 at 01:28 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 01:33 PM   #137
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Yes. That's exactly what I said.
People: We suffered urinary tract infections due to the conditions at Amazon
You: they didn’t suffer

So you’re either calling them liars, or diminishing their suffering. In the case of the former my statement stands. In the case of the latter see my earlier statement about turning out fine.

As to your edit after the fact no it really doesn’t. Suffering isn’t about measuring who’s suffered worse than others and no one has claimed that those working for Amazon have suffered the more than anyone else throughout history.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 05:16 PM   #138
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
No. Your confirmation bias merely supplied you with something you wanted me to have said.

Some people simply aren't cut out for manual labor. I don't regret (or begrudge) any of the sweat, sore muscles, or long hours I've traded for paychecks over the years.
Bolded for emphasis:

Quote:
Sorry. As sincere as I believe you are (and as sincere as you want to believe your friends are), I can't put a lot of stock in the transitive property of anecdotal workplace complaints. I have no problem believing the number of bathroom breaks might be limited to prevent abuse, though.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 12:46 AM   #139
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I've seen a data entry job requiring a "collage or university degree" (yes, it was misspelled) and a year of previous experience.
Hey man, I'd run with it. I certainly have a collage degree.

There is some sort of child care center (Play Street Museum) in my ritzy neighborhood where the owner is looking to hire people with masters degrees in child development (I can't remember the proper name of the degree) and wants to pay them $10-12 an hour. Each time I pass the place, I hope to see they are they are out of business.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 07:04 AM   #140
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
There is some sort of child care center (Play Street Museum) in my ritzy neighborhood where the owner is looking to hire people with masters degrees in child development (I can't remember the proper name of the degree) and wants to pay them $10-12 an hour. Each time I pass the place, I hope to see they are they are out of business.
McDonald's is paying $15 an hour here with sign-on bonuses.Several of the fast food joints in this area have closed their dining rooms because they can't get enough help to run both their drive-throughs and dining rooms. And even then some are running on shortened hours. The local Burger King (for example) closes somewhere between 7:00 P.M. to 8:30 P.M. nightly – even though their website advertises 12 A.M. My youngest son likes their fries (because they have fry sauce) that's basically the only reason I go there. Twice now I've been in line at their drive-through (at about 7 P.M.) and an employee came out and said "we're closing" and had the people back out of the line. So the average Amazon warehouse job at $14.44 an hour in Idaho is not exactly a huge draw around here.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 01:30 PM   #141
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
@JSWolf Just curious, what is the advantage of using KindleUnpack to convert to epub rather than using the built in converter in Calibre?
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
KindleUnpack produces an EPUB that preserves the content and structure of the kindle book. That is, if an EPUB is converted to a kindle format with kindlegen then back to EPUB with KindleUnpack, that EPUB will be close to the same as the original EPUB. A calibre conversion will be quite different.
Another reason to minimize the number of calibre conversion steps in an ebook conversion processing chain is that calibre by default lossily converts JPEG images in each step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I haven??t really used Calibre in a long while. However, back when I used it, even with tablet as output, it would still do lossy JPEG to lossy JPEG recompression instead of just using the original images as-is. One of the reasons I prefer using KindleUnpack instead.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 05:53 AM   #142
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
This happens fairly often: Someone mentions a book that seems interesting. I search a bit, and find that the ebook is only sold on Amazon. I've only seen it with self-published books, but I've seen it both with established authors who sell most of their books in many places, established authors who sell all of their books only on Amazon, and starting authors who have just one or two books for sale.

Does anyone know why this happens?
  • Is the hassle of adding the book to more booksellers so big, and the sales outside Amazon so small, that for many authors it's just not worth it?
  • Or does Amazon offer some significant advantages if they get a monopoly on specific books?

I have a huge list of books I'd like to buy, and look at it whenever I need something new to read. But if I can't buy a book outside of Amazon, it's not going on my list. This is partly practical (the last time I got a freebie from Amazon, I wasn't able to remove the DRM and convert it to a usable format, so now I don't trust that I'll be able to do it for books I buy), and partly principled (I think Amazon's market dominance is bad for both readers and authors, and I don't want to give Bezos another cent if I can help it).

It is just easier. I personally have limited footprints in 3 very specific categories of non-fiction and 2 categories of ghost authoring so called vanity books for very limited audiences.
Amazon is just a "one stop everything shop!"
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 05:05 PM   #143
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
It is just easier. I personally have limited footprints in 3 very specific categories of non-fiction and 2 categories of ghost authoring so called vanity books for very limited audiences.
Amazon is just a "one stop everything shop!"
Amazon is not the first place I go looking for eBooks. I look on Overdrive, Kobo, and eBooks.com before I'd go looking on Amazon. And if it's Amazon only, if it's something I can do without, I may just do that because it's Amazon only.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote