Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-12-2010, 08:34 AM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Question Re: Sony 'Apps'. . .

I realize we haven seen any apps yet, let alone the new readers. But in general, would the creation of apps allow me to buy a DRM protected book for my Sony prs-350 and then also load it to my Android cell phone (registered to me, of course)? I can see situations arising where I may want to switch reading devices from time to time and then back to the original device. As long as it wasn't too difficult, that would go a long way towards making DRM acceptable to me.

Is the DRM data schema sophisticated enough to allow for that? I figure as long as the infrastructure allows for such a transfer, it will just be a matter of time before a programmer learns to exploit it.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, that's exactly what it should mean.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
so that means that sony will be making reader apps for other manufacturers, a la amazon on the ipad? Or that sony will provide their sdk for app development in their readers. Excuse my ignorance.
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #4
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
apps for readers? ug?
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It means both: that Sony have announced that they'll release a reader app (I believe for both Apple and Android platforms) AND that the new range of reading devices will themselves supports apps.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sony have announced that they'll release a reader app (I believe for both Apple and Android platforms) AND that the new range of reading devices will themselves supports apps.
Or one could use the Kobo apps for Android tablets, Android phones, iPhone, Blackberry, Macs and Windows PCs and shop at kobobooks for ePubs ... which will also play just fine on your shiny new Sony eReader.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Or one could use the Kobo apps for Android tablets, Android phones, iPhone, Blackberry, Macs and Windows PCs and shop at kobobooks for ePubs ... which will also play just fine on your shiny new Sony eReader.
But it sounds as if the upside of all this confusion is that I personally will have more freedom to move my stuff around from reader to reader even if DRM doesn't die the slow agonizing death it deserves.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #8
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
Thanks for clearing that up Harry, it's this dual purpose of apps for the sonies that had got me confused on what their intention was.

What are the restrictions on the apps, and how/if they will be developed remains to be seen. I think some here know my apple sympathies so I have to say that it takes much more than handing out an sdk to actually getting people to create apps and so far amazon (from what I know) have made a mess out of it, so I am suspicious about sony seeing as they leave a lot to be desired in terms of software....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
apps for readers? ug?
I think they are desperately needed, newsfeeds readers especially so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
Ah, great.
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:17 AM   #9
aapezzuto
Zealot
aapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enough

Device: none
this is to this as that is to that

compair an ebook reader to what it is in the middle of replacing, that zip up schedule / portfolio full of book to read for fun, papers to read for work, read one content (magizines, mid quialty pop lit, etc).

Cellphones -> smart phones -> cyborg uplinks

ebooks -\
Pda -|-> mostly consumed data colection, and the tools you need
Tablets -/ to make meaning from them. I would hope that they will break
in to 2 product lines, 1)the textbook, strurdy, displays well formatted text like a champ, but would provide a second call internet experiance everywhere it dosnet have a custom app build to breech the issues. 2) a tablet device that has resources, and can be tasks for lots of things. awesome picutre frame, main computer, central interface for meeting planning, shared media device.

not moving towards supporting apps on an ereader would be like saying you can use your franklin covey planner, but no highlighter in there, no tiny calculator, and definitely new new forms that we didn't create for you.
aapezzuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:28 PM   #10
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
apps for readers? ug?

I think I'd like a few 3rd party apps for a reader. I wouldn't want to turn it into a giant PDA, but the ability to add some reading related features that the manufacturer didn't think about could only enhance the eReading experience (As long as installation and use remains easy, of course!)

Besides, all those database apps for my Treo never really worked all that well!