Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-06-2010, 05:14 PM   #31
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
So when my car GPS is connecting to a satellite, what kinda communication is it using?
GPS!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #32
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
GPS!
Lol. I think I need an interactive book to explain GPS to me.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #33
Rob_E
Connoisseur
Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.Rob_E can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: iPod Touch/iPad
Quote:
By the way, so how does a GPS (the kind for your car) work?
My understanding, and I'm no expert by any means, is that GPS in your car and GPS in the iPad/iPhone or in any GPS receiver work using similar chips and by the same method which is:

GPS locates satellites and "pings" them by sending a little packet of information to the satellites and then seeing how long it takes for the signal to come back. Then it does a lot of fancy math to figure out where you must be in relation to those satellites to account for the time differences in the return signal. If it can locate enough satellites, it can give you a pretty precise set of co-ordinates.
Rob_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:21 PM   #34
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://www.rfidc.com/docs/gps.htm

It is kinda hard to believe it is "free", actually.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:24 PM   #35
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_E View Post
My understanding, and I'm no expert by any means, is that GPS in your car and GPS in the iPad/iPhone or in any GPS receiver work using similar chips and by the same method which is:

GPS locates satellites and "pings" them by sending a little packet of information to the satellites and then seeing how long it takes for the signal to come back. Then it does a lot of fancy math to figure out where you must be in relation to those satellites to account for the time differences in the return signal. If it can locate enough satellites, it can give you a pretty precise set of co-ordinates.
So reviewing to make sure I understand:

If you have a GPS chip in a device, it can locate itself on maps stored on your device. And even without wi-fi or 3G, your GPS chip can communicate with satellites, and between the two, they triangulate your position and can use existing stored maps to figure out where you wanna go next?
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #36
kjk

Quote:
So reviewing to make sure I understand:

If you have a GPS chip in a device, it can locate itself on maps stored on your device. And even without wi-fi or 3G, your GPS chip can communicate with satellites, and between the two, they triangulate your position and can use existing stored maps to figure out where you wanna go next?
Exactly.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:28 PM   #37
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Cool. Thanks to everyone for explaining. Never thought through how GPS works before. It still seems pretty magical, lol.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:25 PM   #38
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
I seem to remember that, for the iPhone at least, there was a program that would download the relevant maps to your phone so that you would have them even if you were in a poor/no AT&T reception area.
Offmaps does this, and is available on both iPhone and iPad.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:38 PM   #39
rkelac
rkelac began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
Quote:

Nope. A GPS receiver is only a receiver. It does not transmit up to the satellites.
rkelac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:51 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I was under the impression that the type of GPS used by the iPhone worked by triangulating your position from the signal strength of different local telephone "cells". I don't believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong) it involves GPS satellites at all.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:42 AM   #41
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
http://www.rfidc.com/docs/gps.htm

It is kinda hard to believe it is "free", actually.
It's kinda free allthough I bet that license fees are included in the purchase price of any device incorporating GPS (just like the fees included in the final product price you have to pay in Germany for printers, CDs, DVDs, etc. as you could copy them or use them to create copies).
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:46 AM   #42
tbergman
Connoisseur
tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I was under the impression that the type of GPS used by the iPhone worked by triangulating your position from the signal strength of different local telephone "cells". I don't believe (and please correct me if I'm wrong) it involves GPS satellites at all.
Nope, both the iPhone and the iPad 3G use the satellites for positioning information. I believe that the iPad (non-3G) does do something like what you describe. I'm not sure if the iPhone/iPad3G also take advantage of the cell phone system when in areas (like tunnels) where the satellites can't be heard.

Just found an interesting article from Apple on how location services work on the iPad.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4084

Last edited by tbergman; 08-07-2010 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Addition Info
tbergman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:49 AM   #43
tbergman
Connoisseur
tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
It's kinda free allthough I bet that license fees are included in the purchase price of any device incorporating GPS (just like the fees included in the final product price you have to pay in Germany for printers, CDs, DVDs, etc. as you could copy them or use them to create copies).
Only if you consider the taxes we Americans pay as a "fee" for the GPS system. The GPS system was built and paid for by the American military.

For further detail, I suggest this wikipedia entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Positioning_System
tbergman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 07:50 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thank you for the correction. Very interesting!

One obvious point: the WiFi version of the iPad obviously can't use 3G cell tower triangulation, since it contains no 3G radio . It (and the iPod touch) do use a form of positioning which appears to involve knowledge of the geographical location of WiFi networks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 08:00 AM   #45
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Mobileread member DaleDe has a GPS website.
His article on how GPS works:
http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/theory.htm
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote