Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
drcross
drcross began at the beginning.

Device: Cool-er
Is Cool-er GPL based? If so there may be hope to get the source code....

Have a look at this. Could stories like this be cause for hope that some day we'll get a copy of the source code? Is there anything we could do to help fight this good fight?
drcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:37 AM   #2
Magnesus
Connoisseur
Magnesus is on a distinguished road

Device: Bebook Neo
Cool-er is EB600. It uses GPL applications - Linux kernel and probably several more. Polish rebranding of EB600 - eClicto - doesn't provide source code either. They are in violation of GPL and they know about it but don't do anything about it. I just decided not to buy their device because of it.
Some others - like Onyx Boox 60 - released some source code but probably not for all of GPL applications (there is no FBReader code - but it's almost certainly used in the device) and don't appear to be upgrading it [EDIT: I may be wrong, linux kernel was updated in february 2010. Maybe just nothing else changed in the GPL part of the firmware - If so, I'm sorry Onyx!].
Also Endless Ideas with Bebook Neo are in violation of GPL - they realeased rebranded version of Onyx Boox 60 but didn't provide ANY source code. Not even the kernel. They didn't even released the source code that Onyx released (I have no idea why, they could've at least provided a link to it).

Last edited by Magnesus; 06-10-2010 at 03:51 AM.
Magnesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 04:16 AM   #3
codeMonkey
Zealot
codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Cool-ER (running pocketbook firmware), Nokia N800, Nokia N900
I've requested a copy of the code from Interead for the Cool-ER before, but never heard anything back.
As it is, I think it falls to Netronix to provide the code, since Interead are only really rebranding the device, and from what I remember, Netronix charge for distributing the code. It was briefly discussed here, too.
codeMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote