Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-23-2009, 01:01 AM   #1
kevnlis
kevnlis began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
HELP - Need PDF Reader With Text Search and Bookmarks!

I am a lecturer at a University who works with a large catalogue of eTextBooks which can each have 50+ chapters with 20+ sections per chapter. Of course this is a rather large list of bookmakrs. The problem is that I am unable to find an iPod App which can read the books WITH the chapter links for fast referencing. I would also like to be able to enter a text search string to find within the book (find next "..." function).

I am willing to pay, but I am not going to pay for software I have not tried, and as far as I can tell none of the pdf readers that say you have to pay for them offer a free trial period to make sure they actually do what they say they do!
kevnlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:17 AM   #2
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
I need the same. Any thoughts?

PS: Add to that the ability to "change" viewing font to a Sans-Serif face. I hate reading Serif faces on the iphone.
crashnburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2009, 05:23 AM   #3
kevnlis

I broke down and paid for "GoodReader".

It does not have text search, but is otherwise a decent application which is passable until I find something better.

It uses the original document in an "as is" form, so whatever font the document is using, will be displayed as far as I can tell.

Also if your pdf is split into chapter files (which many text books are!), they will not work with this program as they do with windows based pdf readers (ie. when you click a link from the contents page, it does not open the chapter file so that you can view the contents of the new file).

I am still keen to get a better program, and as I say, willing to pay if there is at least some idication that it will work for what I want, better thank "good"reader...
Old 07-01-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
kevnlis

Quick update, I found the program I wanted, tested and working for everything except the "chapters are different files" bit, which is fine, I can work around that if I have to.

This one does not allow font changing either as far as I can see.

it is called pdf+ and it is actually very cheap, powerful and easy to use!
Old 10-29-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
ilya239
ilya239 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
You might try the Good Reader app again, it has improved since June.
ilya239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2009, 01:44 PM   #6
fjw70
fjw70 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle,iPhone
I am looking at getting an iPhone. Does pdf+ (or other pdf apps) allow zooming in and out like on the web?
fjw70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
ilya239
ilya239 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Yes, they all support zoom. Some allow greater zoom than others.
Good Reader is good for zooming and also for reflowing PDF text (when zooming makes lines longer than the screen).
ilya239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
fjw70
fjw70 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle,iPhone
Thanks for the reply.
fjw70 is offline   Reply With Quote