Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-05-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
Draccy
SciFi E-Book Fanatic
Draccy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 2
Quick Kindle Question

I currently have a sony reader 500, and am thinking of getting a kindle. My only question is that I often get books sent to me that are drm free, and perhaps they might be current best sellers. Is there any reason not to put them on the kindle? Do they check for such things?
Draccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I have seen no evidence that Amazon pays any attention to content loaded from other sites. There are some people who are suspicious that Amazon monitors the content on their Kindles. I've never worried about it. I buy a lot of DRM-free books from other retailers and don't think another thing about it.

Certainly it is possible for Amazon to obtain a list of the files on your Kindle -- that's how they keep up with the current location of your purchased content in the Content Manager application. But would Amazon pay any attention to books whose titles are NOT in the format that they use? I'd think it would be too much trouble.

If, however, your current best sellers are coming from dubious providers (i.e. the dark net) you might want to keep the antenna turned off while this content is on your reader -- just in case. My only concern would be if a court subpoenaed your Kindle info from Amazon to investigate for possible copyright infringements. Seems to me that the court could catch you obtaining infringing content much easier by just tapping your Internet connection or confiscating your PCs.

(How's that for conspiracy theories?)
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
If you have a K1, and are concerned, you could store you books on the sd card, and remove it before you turn on whispernet to download books or surf the kindle store.

If you are really concerned.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:23 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
There is a difference between legal DRM-free books, and pirated copies stripped of their DRM. If you mean legal DRM-free books, why would Amazon, or anyone, care?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
Draccy
SciFi E-Book Fanatic
Draccy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
There is a difference between legal DRM-free books, and pirated copies stripped of their DRM. If you mean legal DRM-free books, why would Amazon, or anyone, care?

I don't mean legal DRM-free.
Draccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, Amazon has been known to look at your content at least to remove content illegally posted to the Kindle Store.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:29 AM   #7
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Well, I haven't had any Black Helecopters hovering over my house in the last year and a half...

A blue frequently, but that's the MedLinkAir coming in for a landing at the hospital three blocks away...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:29 PM   #8
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Unmarked helicopters are just as dangerous.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:34 PM   #9
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
You shouldn't be worried about this.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote