Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-10-2011, 09:17 AM   #1
Terrapin
Terrapin began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 2nd Edition
New Nook freezing

I have had my new Nook about 3 days and have already had to perform a hard reset 3-4 times. In several cases it stopped responding entirely and in one, the buttons worked, but not the touch. The most recent freeze (when touch stopped working) happened when I was trying to use my thumb to turn the page (maybe my thumb is too fat).

Has anyone else had their new Nook freeze a bit too often?
Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:37 AM   #2
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
you must be well within your return period. I wouldn't even mess around, I would go and exchange out.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2011, 10:01 AM   #3
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
Absolutely, take that puppy back, it ain't right.
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
jridley
Enthusiast
jridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with others

Device: Nook Touch
Yes, exchange it. I've had mine for a bit over a week now (bought it the day they hit the stores) have been through over 1000 pages of reading and a lot of messing about and I have not had to reset it.

That said, I suppose it is possible that it could be caused by a bad microSD card, or a corrupt file that you side-loaded or something. Still, I'd get it replaced.
jridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
Terrapin
Terrapin began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 2nd Edition
Thanks for the responses. I had just chalked it up to "bugs they'll iron out" and figured others ran into the same problems. I have not put in an SD card and have not read any side-loaded files on it, so maybe I just got a lemon.

I will swap it out this weekend.
Terrapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
Dellu
Dellu began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
The same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin View Post
I have had my new Nook about 3 days and have already had to perform a hard reset 3-4 times. In several cases it stopped responding entirely and in one, the buttons worked, but not the touch. The most recent freeze (when touch stopped working) happened when I was trying to use my thumb to turn the page (maybe my thumb is too fat).

Has anyone else had their new Nook freeze a bit too often?
I got a new nook touch last week. Now, the touch freezing though the physical keys are still work. Frustrating!
Dellu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:24 PM   #7
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
I bought my Nook yesterday and it has locked and and needed to be restarted four times already. I am hoping it is just a problem with this particular epub, if it still does it on the next epub I will exchange it.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #8
Traciinaz
Enthusiast
Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Traciinaz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3, Kindle Paperwhite 4, Nook 7" Tablet
I've been having the same problem, except now even restarting it won't solve the touch screen problem. I'm past my 2 week return period but I'm hoping that if I take it into the store they'll either be able to fix it or exchange it because right now all my new nook is being is a paperweight.
Traciinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:04 AM   #9
gakoontz
gakoontz began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
Nook Touch freezing

Hello, all. Not to discourage those of you who also bought the 2nd gen. Nook, but I am on my 4th one trying to get one that is relatively bug-free.
The first one I bought June 8th, and had it for about 5 weeks. I had one incident of it freezing up that turning it completely off and then on again seemed to resolve, however, the battery was a lemon and after the initial charge, it wouldn't hold a charge much longer than a week even with the WiFi off all the time.
Nooks #2 and #3 I only had a 2-4 days max, due to the fact that the touch screen froze at least once, if not multiple times, every time I tried to use the reader. The side buttons for turning pages, and the nook button at the bottom of the screen, however, continued to still work. It didn't matter whether I was reading at home with the WiFi turned off, or at our local B&N store with the WiFi on, they just kept freezing. The 3 fixes of turning off, then on, de-registering the device and then re-registering it, or hard resetting those devices just didn't work.
B&N Customer Service replaced #1 with #2, my local store swapped out #2 and #3 with new devices from their shelves after the store manager became involved in trying to help find a fix for the freezing issues. The manager mentioned that she had heard about both of these issues, however, the fact that I've had so many of them is unusual with different devices. I just got #4 yesterday at my local B&N store, and so far, it hasn't froze yet (knock on wood!). I'll be keeping an eye on the battery usage in the days to come, but right now I'm tickled that it's still working and not needing reset all the time.
gakoontz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:47 PM   #10
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
I have had my Nook STR for two weeks and a couple of days ago, the touchscreen froze. I had to do a hard reset and it turned out fine. Apparently it's advisable to shut it down every now and then to prevent something like this.
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:56 PM   #11
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
I've had my Nook STR freeze as described twice now, and only had it about 1 week. But I know what is triggering it, at least the 2 instances I've seen. It only happens when I use the touch screen to turn pages, and it only happens if I happen to touch a set of ellipses - you know: ....

For some strange reason, when I accidentally touch that set, it pops up a bubble at the top of the screen (like a dictionary bubble) and the touch screen loses all function. The home button works, but since I can't select a soft-menu button I can't do anything about it.

So, definitely bug of some kind. Hopefully this will get fixed in a software update.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:04 PM   #12
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think the software is having trouble deciding if you mean to swipe to turn a page or if you mean to highlight a word. I think when it freezes it's trying to do both and locks up, Seems like something that could be easily fixed in a firmware update.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #13
rsa
rsa began at the beginning.

Device: Opus
Any word on an update? I'm torn between my Nook being defective or in need of a software update. I've waited nearly a month but still no upgrade. Now I don't know what to think.
rsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #14
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsa View Post
Any word on an update? I'm torn between my Nook being defective or in need of a software update. I've waited nearly a month but still no upgrade. Now I don't know what to think.
1.0.1 update was released today.
Go to the Nook Touch support page to download the software if you want to do a manual update.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:09 PM   #15
Ron.
Evangelist

I installed the update today and my nook has not locked up yet, before I could not even get through a chapter without it locking up (if I swiped to change pages)