Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-01-2011, 06:36 AM   #1
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
"Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 is the most stable mobile phone OS"

At least, according to a recent article by a certain Matthew Miller from ZDNet it is.

Quote:
As regular readers know, I have used nearly every mobile phone operating system over the years and bounce around between devices, operating systems, and carriers faster than most people I know. I have been using Windows Phone 7 since July 2010 and can say without a doubt that Windows Phone 7 has been the most stable and reliable mobile phone operating system I have ever used,
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:44 AM   #2
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
Dilbert's Scott Adams also likes Windows Phone better than Android or the iPhone.
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I noticed in the link you provided that a Microsoft exec "challenged" the journalist to use a WP7 phone, and if he didn't like it MS would donate $1k to a charity of his choice.

I remember a couple of weeks ago, Molly Woods of CNet said an exec (possibly the same one?) made a similar challenge to her, too. Is this a new Microsoft thing now? Tell techies to use a Windows Phone 7 device and hope that they like it, and therefore drum up some publicity?

Because in the case of Woods, at least, it didn't really work. Her conclusion was that while she 'likes' WP7, and it has some good features, she doesn't 'love' it. And her final judgement was that whenever she next buys a smartphone, it will likely not be a Windows Phone.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:55 AM   #4
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
I noticed in the link you provided that a Microsoft exec "challenged" the journalist to use a WP7 phone, and if he didn't like it MS would donate $1k to a charity of his choice.
Scott Adams is no journalist, though. He created the extremely popular Dilbert comic strip, and also has a very popular blog. On this blog, he often complained about smartphones (the iphone dropped his calls, and his android battery lasted a couple hours).

Only then did MS make its offer. It certainly helps to spread the word about their product, and I thought it was quite effective (and a nice change for MS). And knowing Scott Adams, they certainly opened themselves to a lot of criticism - he's often merciless on his ad hoc reviews.
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
afa
The Forgotten

Ah, so there is a connection with the comic strip.

That was the first thing that popped in my mind when I saw the name of the site.

I liked this part in the exec's email:
Quote:
If Androids dream of electronic iSheep

Last edited by afa; 09-01-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Advert
Old 09-01-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I only know one person who uses a Windows phone, and he does love it.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:33 AM   #7
afa
The Forgotten

I know several people who have never used a Windows Phone and they think it's crap...
Old 09-02-2011, 05:51 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by afa View Post
I know several people who have never used a Windows Phone and they think it's crap...
That would be several close minded people right?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:12 AM   #9
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I have used Windows mobile 6.x, iOS and Android. From those three, android is by far my favorite. I haven't played with Windows Phone 7 yet, so I cannot really comment. The Mobile version were the worst however.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:14 AM   #10
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I like Windows Phone 7, but I'm on Virgin Mobile, so I haven't been able to have a phone. Too bad they don't have any relatively cheaper handsets on prepaid.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #11
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I've used WP7 and it's very nice. Lack of apps which is expected at this point. Who knows where it will go.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I'm tempted to pull the trigger on WP7. I was waiting for Mango to be released and looks like it's already available for the device I was considering. Gonna have to delay the purchase by a month, though. Tech fund for the past two months got eaten up by first, a couple of backup carphones (LG Thrive) and then two weeks ago an HP TouchPad.

I already checked, there's a couple of ebook apps for WP7 as well as Kindle, Kobo and OverDrive. Among the ebook apps, Freda appears to be very promising. All I really need on my phone is browser, email, ebook reader and remote desktop/VNC client. It already has SkyDrive built-in so there's no need for Dropbox. Apparently, there's also a Netflix app although I'm not really inclined to use it on a phone's small screen. All in all, WP7's appears to at least have a better app experience compared to webOS.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 09-02-2011 at 10:23 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #13
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I use an Android phone, and have played with iPhone. My coworker has a WP7 and is quite the WP7 evangelist (well former co-worker, he left recently). I do not see any hug difference in them worthy of the fighting hatred that each camp has for the others.

With the death of WebOS I really hope MS WP7 can take off, else we will be faced with a Android majority share, and iOS taking the lion share of the remainder... which is NOT good for consumers. The problem is MS WP7 not only has tiny share so far, it lost ground over the last quarter. I do not know what they need to do to change public opinion, but right not the general feeling of the market (valid or not) is that WP7 sucks.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:28 PM   #14
afa
The Forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I do not know what they need to do to change public opinion, but right not the general feeling of the market (valid or not) is that WP7 sucks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That would be several close minded people right?
Most definitely.

I know someone who has never used a WP7 device, but is adamant that he will never buy a phone with a Microsoft OS. He hasn't tested it, doesn't know anyone who has extensive experience with it, hasn't really even read many reviews for it. Just decided that if it's running Windows, it won't be good.

Now, while I don't condone such an approach (I prefer the radical idea of only passing judgement once you actually know what the hell you're talking about) it does present a worrying sign for Microsoft. It's not just that WP7 hasn't caught on; they are in the unenviable position of having to change the public's opinion of their operating systems, at least their mobile OS. Because their last attempt at a mobile OS was so shoddy, and because even their desktop OSes are known to be prone to crashes and bugs, a lot of people simply wouldn't trust them with a phone. They just assume that it won't be as good as iOS or Android.

To that end, I think the Microsoft exec who is going around challenging popular bloggers has the right idea. They need to get enough people to publicly state that WP7 is good, otherwise it's a dead OS even before it really gets going.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:13 PM   #15
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Microsoft's problem is that they are late to the party . From all accounts, they have a solid product- but then, so do Apple, Android, and RIM. Why in the world should a potential buyer choose Microsoft over these well established predecessors?

Then there is the major issue of ecosystem. Apple has the best ecosystem , arguably. Android also has a fine ecosystem . RIM is struggling in this department , but it has the enterprise market, for the time being.
What does Microsoft have on offer? Potentially, it has a really great ecosystem,with Zune, Office, and Xbox as starting points, but its in the early stages of weaving it into a cohesive whole. From what I hear, Microsoft has been aggressive in wooing developers, but developers want to go where the market is now, not where it could be.

I foresee a long, slow, painful, and expensive climb for Microsoft in the mobile market before it achieves anything like parity with the aforementioned Big Three.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote