Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-28-2018, 11:25 AM   #1
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
Are there any Android e-ink readers that are waterproof?

I read papers in the bathtub, and would like to instead read on a e-ink device. But are there any Android e-ink readers that are waterproof?

Obviously the reader wouldn't go under water, but it should be resistant to steam/splashes.
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:04 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by norweger View Post
I read papers in the bathtub, and would like to instead read on a e-ink device. But are there any Android e-ink readers that are waterproof?

Obviously the reader wouldn't go under water, but it should be resistant to steam/splashes.
Depending on your location, you could check Tolino's Epos or Vison 4 HD which have the HZO nanocoating waterproofing.

BTW, that's why having your location set is a good idea since it makes answering this type of question much easier.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2018, 09:28 PM   #3
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
The (Russian model) Onyx Boox Robinson Crusoe is waterproof, and runs Android 4.2. https://onyxboox.com/boox_robinson-crusoe
Hrafn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:42 PM   #4
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
The other option is to put your ereader into two sealed plastic bags. Lots of people do that with their readers while soaking in the tub or by the pool.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:11 AM   #5
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Depending on your location, you could check Tolino's Epos or Vison 4 HD which have the HZO nanocoating waterproofing.

BTW, that's why having your location set is a good idea since it makes answering this type of question much easier.
I've updated my location now.

This nanocoating seems just like what I am looking for. Though are there anywhere you could just send your tablet and have it coated?
Advert
Old 02-16-2018, 08:12 AM   #6
norweger
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
The other option is to put your ereader into two sealed plastic bags. Lots of people do that with their readers while soaking in the tub or by the pool.
Although not optimal, this could be an option, but would the stylus work then? I will read and write.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:32 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
I've updated my location now.

This nanocoating seems just like what I am looking for. Though are there anywhere you could just send your tablet and have it coated?
Not that I know of. There is an American company that sells waterproofed Kindle Paperwhites but from their web page, it's not a nanocoating since they mention removing voids from within the device and state it's IPX-8 to 64 meters. It reminded me of one company that used to waterproof by filling the device with epoxy making servicing impossible.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:01 PM   #8
norweger
Addict

It's been a year. There are new kids in town. Do you know of any Android e-readers that are sauna safe now?
Old 05-21-2019, 02:58 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
It's been a year. There are new kids in town. Do you know of any Android e-readers that are sauna safe now?
how hot is the a sauna & how long are u in there

you can solve the waterproof issue but all devices will malfunction if they overheat - hot sunlight, hot sauna, left in car on hot day.....
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:19 AM   #10
norweger
Addict

Tru', tru'. Doesn't have to be a sauna, but it should be able to handle being held above water in a 100 degrees Fahrenheit jacuzzi. That's where I read the most. Currently with either the cell in a dry bag or the Sony Z4 tab without a dry bag, as it's waterproof. But the Sony Z4 has too much of an intense display for longer reading sessions.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:58 AM   #11
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

a device in a bag in a hot room will have terrible heat dispersion. CPU generates heat, so does an LCD screen ( but maybe not an e-ink one? ). that heat has to escape somehow.

Run a PC in a plastic bag at it will quickly become unstable due to heat build up

the good news is that most devices will recover once they cool off *, so trial and error may show that you are ok for 20 - 30 - 40? mins reading in sauna so long as you then emerge and pop it in the fridge for a bit

* the exception to that is an exploding overheated lithium battery
Old 05-21-2019, 11:17 AM   #12
stumped
Wizard

ps I have seen reports on this site of e-ink screens substrates cracking when readers were left in the sun / used in high temps.
you may want to check if amazon/kobo have any published data about operating temps or try some keyword searches here.

not trying to be alarmist but screen/battery heat damage is not reversible
Old 05-21-2019, 04:15 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I would suggest you start here Waterproof reader for your search.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:10 PM   #14
norweger
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
ps I have seen reports on this site of e-ink screens substrates cracking when readers were left in the sun / used in high temps.
you may want to check if amazon/kobo have any published data about operating temps or try some keyword searches here.

not trying to be alarmist but screen/battery heat damage is not reversible
I also read in the hot tub with a Paperwhite 2 in a dry bag. Works perfectly fine. Computers wouoe overheat, but the ereaders I have tried stay cool (enough). It would be that if I watch YouTube on my cell in a dry bag in the hot tub I'd run into problems. But for reading it's been working very well.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:16 PM   #15
norweger
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I would suggest you start here Waterproof reader for your search.

Dale
Thanks!

I had high hopes for this, but going by the website it seems we don't got no waterproof Android ereaders yet.

There's so much happening now. Epad with Android 8
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jJKw2oXo_uY

Likebook, and lately I've seen Sony (which have superb waterproofing technology) is selling the digital paper device which people can run with Android Lollipop. Dunno how fresh news the latter is, but it was new to me.