Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-04-2013, 04:07 AM   #1786
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what does that mean - affiliate fees?

And the fact they're being lowered?

And my guess is that sales have grown so much because of the 40% off codes ....
It's the amount they pay affiliates for referrals (like a commission).

I suspect that the 40% off coupons both grew their sales immensely and also put some pressure on their bottom line when added to the fee they paid affiliates (I don't make much there, but I'm sure some do). They were probably losing money on every sale and you can only keep doing that for so long.

There was some news late last year about venture capital, which is probably what they've been burning thru, trying to get market share. Then again, just before Fictionwise sold itself to B&N, they offered massive rebates and steep discount coupons (100% rebates plus huge coupons and essentially free memberships for further discounts), pumping up their sales to look good for anyone prospective buyers.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:38 AM   #1787
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Kobo had the 90% off sale last April in addition to the $5 and $10 off promos. I also believe those were used to inflate sales for prospective buyers/Rakuten.

Also, Kobo has to pay Adobe fee (22 cents) and transaction costs for each title. My credit card costs retailers 3% plus a swipe fee and since Kobo doesn't have a cart all those individual swipe fees add up. And Paypal has additional costs.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2013, 11:29 AM   #1788
bookratt
Wizard
bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookratt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS505 & PRS600, iPad, Pandigital Novel, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
30% gettingtoknowu23
just used that one, thanks!
bookratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #1789
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
30% gettingtoknowu23
Worked great! Thanks
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:22 PM   #1790
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
I emailed support about the pricing issue I've had (prices mysteriously increasing between search results, product pages and checkout). Today I received an email back where they state each point I made in my original email (You stated...) which seems a bit odd. No resolution was given, but it has been escalated, so hopefully I'll hear from them again.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #1791
Illyria
Connoisseur
Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK, K5, K7, KPW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
I emailed support about the pricing issue I've had (prices mysteriously increasing between search results, product pages and checkout). Today I received an email back where they state each point I made in my original email (You stated...) which seems a bit odd. No resolution was given, but it has been escalated, so hopefully I'll hear from them again.
Could it be that they are simply in the process of raising the prices and have not updated them at each stage of purchase yet? That's what I noticed last week when I had trouble with purchase with my standard browser and therefore had to delay buying the books I wanted for a few days. First, the price was the same as search result, on the product page, and during checkout. A day after, the price differed on the product page and the search result page (can't remember which but one still showed the lower price and the other the new, more expensive one). A day or two more, they had adjusted it and the higher price is now shown everywhere.
Illyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #1792
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
I emailed support about the pricing issue I've had (prices mysteriously increasing between search results, product pages and checkout).
I cannot find the e-mail, but I asked them the same question a couple of years ago ( I think) and the answer I got was that it was required of them for tax reasons. So maybe it is something similar?
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #1793
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illyria View Post
Could it be that they are simply in the process of raising the prices and have not updated them at each stage of purchase yet? That's what I noticed last week when I had trouble with purchase with my standard browser and therefore had to delay buying the books I wanted for a few days. First, the price was the same as search result, on the product page, and during checkout. A day after, the price differed on the product page and the search result page (can't remember which but one still showed the lower price and the other the new, more expensive one). A day or two more, they had adjusted it and the higher price is now shown everywhere.
I'm still seeing the same issue and it's been almost a week. If that's the case I would've thought that it would be sorted by now. It also doesn't explain why this happens with some books and not others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikaelalind View Post
I cannot find the e-mail, but I asked them the same question a couple of years ago ( I think) and the answer I got was that it was required of them for tax reasons. So maybe it is something similar?
I'm logged into the account so taxes (if any) should already be implemented in their price. Haven't had the issue previously on other purchases.

If they let me know what's going on I'll report back.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:05 AM   #1794
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
30% gettingtoknowu23
thank you! Only, spoiled by the previous multiple use ones, I started (and finished!) with the cheapest of the books I wanted, silly me!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 03:59 AM   #1795
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
From now until February 11, 2013, you can get 25% off any Harlequin or Mills & Boon book at Kobo with coupon code: TrashyBooks25
This is suppose to be unlimited use.

Keep in mind anything added before July 2010 will not be a publisher's version of the book but a plain text Kepub instead.

This is done as a promo for this blog
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:08 AM   #1796
Crusader
Space Cadet

I received a reply from Kobo support:

Quote:
The Kobo Develop Team is working on a better System at the moment and, for this reason, we are facing some different information on the Website.

But if you are still interested in purchasing this book, I will be glad to honor the lowest price for you.
Not sure that it clarifies anything, but at least it sounds like the situation will improve.

thankyou2012 (35% off) - Shows as expired
56b6c435 (35% off) - Shows as not active
56b6c230 (35% off) - Shows as not active

Last edited by Crusader; 02-07-2013 at 04:31 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #1797
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
1x2530ca2 (25% off)
1x2561ca2 (25% off)
1x2590us (25% off)
1x2530us (25% off)
2x25180us (25% off)
56b6c125 (25% off)

All showed expired or not active for me .

Last edited by artifact; 02-07-2013 at 06:04 PM.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:35 AM   #1798
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
No discount codes, but a list of cheaper bestsellers for UK addresses:

£4.99 instead of £7.99–£9.99

http://www.kobobooks.com/lists/Recen...feb8reduced2UK
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #1799
Blue2u
Wizard
Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue2u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Canada only?

Sometimes these codes work on non-list, non-agency books too so might be worth trying if you have a purchase to make.

Just got this in email:
Get 30% off Indie hits! Get these indie greats for less! Limited time only!
PROMO CODE: Save30Feb13
Hurry! Offer ends February 14, 2013!

Link to 'browse now' list:
http://www.kobobooks.com/lists/acpbe...kp-Vazw-1.html
Blue2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #1800
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony 650 and Cool-er
I have never got a voucher code to work. I just purchased a Lisa Gardner book and there was no place to even try. Only the gift voucher box and store credit box. When I have been able to try in the past I get a message about the book not being available for discounts. I usually buy fiction, they are not always new or best sellers.
Orn8one is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coupon, discount, ridiculous deals