Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-01-2010, 10:37 AM   #91
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
So, it isn't less in-depth or anything? That's some odd titling
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:33 PM   #92
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
If I may ask, which is the better version to read, A Brief History of Time or A Briefer History of Time? I thought Brief would be better and more in-depth than Briefer but then someone had to point out that Briefer is longer than Brief!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The longer Briefer version was a 2005 update by the author of his 1988 book.
Quote:
So, it isn't less in-depth or anything? That's some odd titling
I was wrong (second time in 10 years, if memory serves me correctly). A Briefer History of Time is briefer than A Brief History of Time. See my post at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=145.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #93
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Yes I have
Brief : 256pgs
Briefer: 176pgs

So the updated Brief is the one to go for, though only available as an eBook in the UK currently I think.
http://www.waterstones.com/waterston...ook29/7350246/
http://ebooks.whsmith.co.uk/0A88455A...0-A863D4031F4F
http://www.booksattransworld.co.uk/c...ata=1409092364
Old 03-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #94
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Aha, half as brief.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:23 PM   #95
seagull
Addict

Don't suppose anyone could e-mail Oxford University Press and ask them to make 'The Surprising Archaea: Discovering a New Domain of Life' by John L. Howland, it's now out of print and was published in 2000, ISBN 9780195111835. Was watching the Horizon episode 'Why do Viruses Kill?' and archaea popped up and sounded interesting. I've e-mailed them, hopefully if enough people do then they'll make it available. I thought about e-mailing the author but as far as I can tell John L. Howland passed away October 18th 2009, if it's the same John L. Howland that was a Professor of Natural Sciences and Professor of Biology and Biochemistry Emeritus at Bowdoin College.
Has anybody got any recommendations for ebooks about virology, bacteriology or medicine? Has anyone read Killer Germs by Barry and David Zimmerman?

Last edited by seagull; 03-02-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #96
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Don't suppose anyone could e-mail Oxford University Press and ask them to make 'The Surprising Archaea: Discovering a New Domain of Life' by John L. Howland, it's now out of print and was published in 2000, ISBN 9780195111835. Was watching the Horizon episode 'Why do Viruses Kill?' and archaea popped up and sounded interesting. I've e-mailed them, hopefully if enough people do then they'll make it available. I thought about e-mailing the author but as far as I can tell John L. Howland passed away October 18th 2009, if it's the same John L. Howland that was a Professor of Natural Sciences and Professor of Biology and Biochemistry Emeritus at Bowdoin College.
Has anybody got any recommendations for ebooks about virology, bacteriology or medicine? Has anyone read Killer Germs by Barry and David Zimmerman?
Not available as an ebook, but there is a book from 2007 on the topic: "The Third Domain: The Untold Story of Archaea and the Future of Biotechnology" by Tim Friend.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #97
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This sounds interesting. E.O. Wilson has joined the small cabal of scientists who are also novelists.

Adam Rogers interviewed E.O. Wilson for the latest print version of Wired magazine. In the introductory remarks to that short article, Rogers writes that Wilson's new book, Anthill, "tells the parallel stories of Raff Cody, a southern lawyer trying to preserve the wilderness of his youth, and the epic territorial wars among the ants that inhabit the land."
Old 04-20-2010, 04:10 PM   #98
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
I been wanting to read that Physics of the Impossible. I remember hearing about it before, but I was watching his show on the Science Channel last night and he mentioned it and I was like I totally forgot!

Also has anyone read his other book?

http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/mic...00000000048659

Last edited by rock; 04-20-2010 at 04:26 PM.
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:55 PM   #99
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock View Post
I been wanting to read that Physics of the Impossible. I remember hearing about it before, but I was watching his show on the Science Channel last night and he mentioned it and I was like I totally forgot!

Also has anyone read his other book?

http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/mic...00000000048659
I read Physics of the Impossible by Michio Kaku and thoroughly enjoyed it. The science is solid, and the writing is very accessible! I haven't read his Parallel Worlds: A Journey Through Creation, Higher Dimensions, and the Future of the Cosmos, but it's on my To Read list!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #100
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

I have to wait until pay day Friday but cannot wait to get that. I always liked him on the physic type shows on discovery. Very into what he does, and how much he knows ha ha.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:53 PM   #101
MartinParish
Author of 2184
MartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-booksMartinParish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
Allow me to second the recommendation for Dan Falk, Time: In Search of a Curious Dimension. Awesome book - well worth a look.
MartinParish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #102
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinParish View Post
Allow me to second the recommendation for Dan Falk, Time: In Search of a Curious Dimension. Awesome book - well worth a look.
That was a good one.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:37 PM   #103
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinParish View Post
Allow me to second the recommendation for Dan Falk, Time: In Search of a Curious Dimension.
Warning: the Kindle version is in the TOPAZ format. This is the first "Agency Pricing" ebook I have seen in TOPAZ. It is also available as an ePub at the Sony store, but only for sale in Canada.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:41 PM   #104
rock
Addict

Bought Physics of the Impossible today!

I been wanting to read this.

Though I was thinking of brushing up on some of my physics. Physics for Dummies good? or should I go for a good old text book? Though I have a 5' EZ Reader
Old 04-23-2010, 03:01 PM   #105
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Most of the Dummies books are pretty good. Might be best to check out a couple of physics texts from the library.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote