Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-21-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
tofubean
Connoisseur
tofubean is on a distinguished road

Device: K3, iPad, PW
Where to buy ebook readers in seattle?

Hi, I have a friend going to Seattle for a few days and I'm asking her to buy my first ebook reader for me. She'll be staying in Westin hotel so I'm hoping to give her some places near there to shop at. Can anyone give me some shops around there?

I'm still trying to decide between a Sony PRS 505 or 600. But my worry is that it is not available anymore.
tofubean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:10 AM   #2
tedwinters
tedwinters began at the beginning.

Device: none
I haven't heard good things about the sony 600.... People say that the text quality is poor.
The sony 505 is good, but very, very hard to find now days. I doubt you'll have much luck finding it.

I know you can go to most Barnes and Nobles to buy the 'Nook' in store though. I like it.
tedwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:24 AM   #3
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofubean View Post
Hi, I have a friend going to Seattle for a few days and I'm asking her to buy my first ebook reader for me. She'll be staying in Westin hotel so I'm hoping to give her some places near there to shop at. Can anyone give me some shops around there?

I'm still trying to decide between a Sony PRS 505 or 600. But my worry is that it is not available anymore.
The best place I've found to see readers on display is at Fry's Electronics in Renton. Some of the readers aren't in good shape, and at least one was locked the last time I looked, but at least you can see them. Also, some of them go in and out of stock erratically. Renton is nearby, but still a drive from most Seattle locations.

Sony's can be found at several places, They used to be in stock at Borders. Nook of course is at B&N, and the Jetbook was at Bed Bath & Beyond (of all places!).

Which Westin? And will she be driving or only using public transportation?

There's a Sony Style store at the University Village shopping center, which is near the Univ. of Washington campus in north Seattle, which is near several bus lines.
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:39 AM   #4
tofubean
Connoisseur

She'll be staying at the Westin Seattle. Most probably public transportation or taking a cab as she's on a business trip. Thanks. I'll note down these places as suggestions for her.

I had considered many models of ebook readers but i am very limited by my choices because i need a reader that can read Chinese texts as well as English. So far from the chinese forums, they have been recommending sony or kindle. I'd like to borrow some library books from my local library too so i'm only considering sony.

Last edited by tofubean; 02-22-2010 at 01:58 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:52 AM   #5
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofubean View Post
She'll be staying at the Westin Seattle. Most probably public transportation or taking a cab as she's on a business trip. Thanks. I'll note down these places as suggestions for her.

I had considered many models of ebook readers but i am very limited by my choices because i need a reader that can read Chinese texts as well as English. So far from the chinese forums, they have been recommending sony or kindle. I'd like to borrow some library books from my local library too so i'm only considering sony.
Seems to me your best bet is the Sony Style store then. The Seattle Westin is on 5th Ave. Walk one block west to 4th ave, and look for Metro bus route 25. It goes north to and through the University of Washington campus (the route is actually fairly scenic and could be good tourism in and of itself) and then goes near University Village. In addition to the Sony Style, there's a Barnes and Noble in the complex, at least according to their website. I haven't been IN U-village for a buncha years, but I go past it to go to UW sports events.

The concierge should be able to help with transportation questions, but the metro bus will be cheapest.

I'd advise her to go to the B&N and check out the Nook, just for info - she may want something different than yours!
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:15 AM   #6
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
YOu want to buy at a retail location? Usually at least price wise you are better of buying online still, but looking at them is a different issue.
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
tofubean
Connoisseur

I thought retail locations sell them cheaper.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:30 AM   #8
SharonFruit
SharonFruit began at the beginning.

Device: PB360, Boox60
Imho, prices in online stores are lower than in retail brick and mortar strores...

one of the online ereader stores is here: www.ereadersandtablets.com
SharonFruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:54 AM   #9
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Frys

I would check your local Frys. Though I have purchased all my readers online. I have not had any trouble with that, and most online stores have a decent return policy.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote