Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-14-2014, 05:03 PM   #1
Gord
Gord began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Kindle to Calibre

How do I move a book from Kindle for PC to Calibre and then to Kobo Arc?
I cant seem to find any explanation on how to do this, any help welcomed.

Thanks.
Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Locate your books
On my computer they are in My Documents/My Kindle Content
Drag and drop them to calibre. (or use add books button).
Send them to Kobo Arc in one of several ways.

email, content server, via USB.

Usb is probably easiest, although I don't have a Kobo Arc so can't say for sure.

Content server is very nice way to 'shop' for your own books.

Easiest way overall is just to redownload them from Amazon if you got them there.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:55 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
You're going to need to strip the DRM if you want to put Amazon purchased ebooks onto your Kobo (I assume your ebooks are DRMd, most popular titles are). You'll need to google Apprentice Alf for more information.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Please post responsibly.

This General Discussion forum that you posted in is for "...discussions about e-book reading not specific to a device, software or format."

This thread has now been moved to its current location.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:05 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
You're going to need to strip the DRM if you want to put Amazon purchased ebooks onto your Kobo (I assume your ebooks are DRMd, most popular titles are). You'll need to google Apprentice Alf for more information.
Even with the Kindle App for the Kobo Arc?

Helen
Old 04-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #6
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
yeah, to convert them, if you aren't then I think you would have to but I'm not sure
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:02 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Even with the Kindle App for the Kobo Arc?

Helen
If you are using the Kindle app, calibre will not be anywhere in the process...

You will have downloaded the book through the app, and it will be encrypted for the app.

As we are discussing passing the book through calibre to get the book natively on the Kobo, Alf must be used to allow conversion and reading on a different device.

Also, Alf would be needed to transfer to a Kindle as well, as the DRM is device/app-specific.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:17 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
If you are using the Kindle app, calibre will not be anywhere in the process...

You will have downloaded the book through the app, and it will be encrypted for the app.

As we are discussing passing the book through calibre to get the book natively on the Kobo, Alf must be used to allow conversion and reading on a different device.

Also, Alf would be needed to transfer to a Kindle as well, as the DRM is device/app-specific.
The DRM on my Amazon books is account specific so I can read them on a kindle, on a PC, on a tablet app registered to me. Maybe they have changed this?

When I read Amazon books on my tablet I use the kindle app and I sideload them or download them using the content server. I like having them in calibre for organization. I also slightly prefer the content server to downloading them again, but that is just me.

The OP asked
Quote:
Kindle to Calibre

How do I move a book from Kindle for PC to Calibre and then to Kobo Arc?
I gave a couple of methods including saying the easiest way was to re-download them from Amazon if he got them from Amazon.

Amazon still seems to let me, perfectly legally, read the same books on my tablet, my PC or on my mother's kindle which is registered to my account.

The OP did not mention DRM, so neither did I.

Helen
Old 04-14-2014, 09:48 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
The DRM on my Amazon books is account specific so I can read them on a kindle, on a PC, on a tablet app registered to me. Maybe they have changed this?
Amazon's DRM is now and always has been device specific, meaning you need to download a separate copy for each registered device you want to read it on. That is of course if the title has DRM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:57 PM   #10
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Amazon's DRM is now and always has been device specific, meaning you need to download a separate copy for each registered device you want to read it on. That is of course if the title has DRM.
Exactly. Which is why it is essential to strip the DRM.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 03:29 AM   #11
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
You have to locate the azw files of the ebooks. On my MacBook, they are in Users/Library/Application Support/Kindle/My Kindle Content.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:40 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I'm afraid you're mistaken. ADE DRM is account-specific, but Amazon's DRM is device-specific. You can't, for example, download a book with DRM to "Kindle for PC" and then simply copy it to a Kindle PW. You have to re-download it for the PW, or strip the DRM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:31 PM   #13
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm afraid you're mistaken. ADE DRM is account-specific, but Amazon's DRM is device-specific. You can't, for example, download a book with DRM to "Kindle for PC" and then simply copy it to a Kindle PW. You have to re-download it for the PW, or strip the DRM.
Probably I am remembering wrong, been a while. My mother lives in 4000 miles away, so I must have just had them delivered to her kindle.

I just noticed I can have them delivered to my tablets and my sisters tablet. That is pretty nice.

Sorry to all for any disinformation.

Helen
Old 04-20-2014, 05:40 AM   #14
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
Probably I am remembering wrong, been a while. My mother lives in 4000 miles away, so I must have just had them delivered to her kindle.

I just noticed I can have them delivered to my tablets and my sisters tablet. That is pretty nice.

Sorry to all for any disinformation.

Helen
Be careful mixing here mom, calibre and remotely send her, the combination of those three words with DRM word (or without it) can cause this thread will be closed. A remote mom and sending her their own purchased books, and even if you have a girlfriend who you send her own purchased books can cause some jitter in moderators.

For a sample, you can see this link: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237619

Yes, this message is an off-topic, and sarcastic, and satiric. I'm angry with Moblieread because I was not intended to foment piracy.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:49 AM   #15
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote