Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #46
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Anything wrong with freedom of speech?
Nope, you're free to continue to repeat all the stupid, anecdotal, not-from-personal-experience Apple-hate that you can spew out.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #47
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
Nope, you're free to continue to repeat all the stupid, anecdotal, not-from-personal-experience Apple-hate that you can spew out.
First, the topic of the thread asks for people who have negative opinions.

Second, so long as Apple continues with its wildly successful strategy of premium products sold with a more than premium profit margin, why shouldn't people who can't, or feel they can't, afford the products dislike the company?

Third, I was a customer in the Apple II era. And the platform, while never as open as CP/M or MS-DOS, at least was more open than the Mac. Apple II computers (definitely the IIGS) snapped open without tools. By contrast, last year, when I needed to get into my daughter's Macbook, I had to buy a special screwdriver at Sears. What's with that? Did I leave Apple, or did Apple leave me?

Fourth, I read so much anti-publisher stuff on this board, even though the publishers have reasonable profit margins, AFAIK don't turn managers into billionaires, create a lot of middle class jobs where you don't have to work 80 hours a week*, and provide products that more greatly enrich my life. Criticizing the hardware companies seems a fair way to provide perspective on where the real locus of greed lies.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 06-14-2013 at 10:06 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #48
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
It isn't unique to Apple. There are irrational bashers and fan-boys for every popular brand. Apple just happens to be more financially successful than most.

Steve, I argue only against your first assertion, that closed hardware/software is automatically a negative or bad thing. There are advantages to a closed system. Many of the valid knocks against Android OS are a result of allowing so many hardware variations and software overlays (e.g. Sense, TouchWiz).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #49
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Well, thanks for that.

I have an iPad2 and an old iPod touch at home, what about that? Is my opinion any more valid in your eyes or just stupid spew simply because it does not agree with your opinion?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #50
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Well, thanks for that...
You're very welcome.

Quote:
...I have an iPad2 and an old iPod touch at home, what about that? Is my opinion any more valid in your eyes...
No. And my opinion on your validity is of absolutely no importance. You keep on 'spewing' (I must find a new word to replace spew, it has lost its magic.) and once in a very great while I'll stop by to

Enjoy your weekend.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #51
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
No.
Figured as much. Once the apple blinders go on, they hardly ever go off.

Enjoy your weekend.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #52
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Anything wrong with freedom of speech?
Not at all. But why do you feel the need to come in and do that. A quick look at the Android forums and I dont see Apple users going in there and taking potshots.

The way I see it is that we all make our own choices, and its just flat out rude to deliberately provoke arguments and dissent which is what the OP does, around once a month. The current thread is still going so he wont bother again until it dies. But when it does, suddenly there will be another Anti-Apple question and off we go again.

By the way... I wonder why it is that Apple users dont feel compelled to head into the Android forums to point out the deficiencies in that model? Could it be because they feel quite secure in the choices they make?

I'm outta here, you anti Apple mob are just getting tedious. Same arguments, same old boring trash.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #53
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
Second, so long as Apple continues with its wildly successful strategy of premium products sold with a more than premium profit margin, why shouldn't people who can't, or feel they can't, afford the products dislike the company?
So I guess we should dislike Ferrari, Lamborghini, BMW, Mercedes, etc. if we can't or feel we can't afford them, as well? This type of thinking seems strange to me. If you can't afford it or feel you can't afford it, just buy something else and be content with that. I see no reason to dislike a company for that reason, though.

I've been buying Dell PCs or building custom PCs my whole life. Only a couple years ago when I thought that it made sense for me did I finally spend money on a Mac. And I'm very content with my decision. But then again I was content with the Dells and custom builds I had before, as well.
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:03 PM   #54
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTravers View Post
So I guess we should dislike Ferrari, Lamborghini, BMW, Mercedes, etc. if we can't or feel we can't afford them, as well?
I wasn't totally comfortable with that part of my post and think you make a good point. It is better to avoid resentment of rich people who price their products far above cost. If I can revise my point there: Apple is not a force for evil. But if you can't help resenting at least one such firm, Apple is, in the eBook-related realm, the least-bad choice.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #55
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
But if you can't help resenting at least one such firm, Apple is, in the eBook-related realm, the least-bad choice.
Yes, when it comes to ebooks, Apple does deserve it. No argument from me.
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #56
crashnburn
Groupie
crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crashnburn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad1 iOS 5.1.1b, iPhone 4
The problem with Apple devices is.. You cant live with them, Cant live without them.

So most people love, like them but find some things irritatingly constraining (I know I hate some things), and cant live with them without complaining.

Some even jump ship and go to other platforms. Some are happy with that and some are not. But the 'hate' like that of a jilted lover continues to burn.

For smarter folks.. choose and live and let live. Give apple feedback if you use and love their products. If they dont work for you past a point, take the $$$ elsewhere and forget apple.

If you prefer a German automotive brand over an American one. You can complain about it to the maker but once you jump ship just forget them and move on - enjoy your german car.
crashnburn is offline   Reply With Quote