Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
pearsjd
pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Nook Color
Recovery mode/google apps help pls

Hello

I've gotten CM7 to run from my sd card but I can't get my NC into recovery mode to install google apps. The google zip file is on my sd card but no matter what I try, cm7 always loads. When I press n and power I get a screen that says 'loading' and the cm7 comes on. Can anyone help? Thanks so much. This is a great forum and I would never have gotten this far without it.

Susan
pearsjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearsjd View Post
Hello

I've gotten CM7 to run from my sd card but I can't get my NC into recovery mode to install google apps. The google zip file is on my sd card but no matter what I try, cm7 always loads. When I press n and power I get a screen that says 'loading' and the cm7 comes on. Can anyone help? Thanks so much. This is a great forum and I would never have gotten this far without it.

Susan
It can be a little tricky, but if you have ClockworkMod installed it actually does work. Just press the NOOK button and the power button AT THE SAME TIME. Wait for "Touch the future of reading" to appear and then count up to about 5 or so, release the power button but NOT the NOOK button. After another 5 to 10 seconds release the NOOK button. The Nook should then boot into ClockworkMod recovery.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
pearsjd
pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pearsjd , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Okay, I don't think I have clockwork installed. I followed the video instructions from Ana Mardoll's site (http://www.anamardoll.com/2011/04/er...e-on-nook.html) and was fine until I tried to go to recovery mode and install the google zip file. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you
Susan
Old 06-12-2011, 03:26 AM   #4
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearsjd View Post
Okay, I don't think I have clockwork installed. I followed the video instructions from Ana Mardoll's site (http://www.anamardoll.com/2011/04/er...e-on-nook.html) and was fine until I tried to go to recovery mode and install the google zip file. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you
Susan
The recovery image would have been part of the file that she calls the "CM7 Installer". Her blog seems to have paraphrased the procedure on XDA:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1000957
I know that procedure works, so I think that it is still down to getting the timing right in using the POWER and NOOK keys to boot into recovery.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
It can be a little tricky, but if you have ClockworkMod installed it actually does work. Just press the NOOK button and the power button AT THE SAME TIME. Wait for "Touch the future of reading" to appear and then count up to about 5 or so, release the power button but NOT the NOOK button. After another 5 to 10 seconds release the NOOK button. The Nook should then boot into ClockworkMod recovery.
I don't have CM on either and don't think you need it, the button timing is tricky. Try a bunch of times. I find the timing best if you press both N and paoer until the Touch comes on then count to 5 and release first the power then the n after Touch disappears. If you cannot get it if I were you I would start again format your card put the Evergreen SD image on then place both the CM7 zip and gapps zip on the boot portion and load your card. Both the CM7 and gapps will install, they shouldn't have to be done separately.
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #6
jasoraso
Addict
jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jasoraso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Touch, Nook Color (rooted) and Samsung Galaxy Nexus
You can also try downloading "Rom Manager" from the Market. This program has an option to install Clockwork Recovery, as well as an option to boot into Clockwork Recovery once it is installed.
jasoraso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #7
pearsjd

Just wanted to thank everyone. I finally installed google apps and everything is running fine. I did renistall cm7 from the latest nightly instead of 7.0 I was using. Don't think it made a difference - I think I just got lucky with timing and was able to to boot to recovery.

Susan
Old 06-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #8
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
In case someone with the same problem finds this thread in the future, I want to clear up some missing, outdated or just plain wrong info:
  1. verygreen's SD install, by far the most common SD install, does not use ClockworkMod Recovery. Verygreen made his own recovery which only installs .zip update packages, and does it automatically, deleting the .zip afterward.
  2. the recovery in verygreen's latest image can fly by very quickly for small packages like gapps or a kernel update, after which it will boot into CM7. Don't assume you didn't make it into recovery: go into settings>accounts and see if you can sign into a google account.
  3. the button-acrobatics are no longer necessary. If you have CM7 installed, just hold the power button for a moment, release, and in the resulting pop-up menu, choose Reboot and then Recovery.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote