Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-27-2017, 02:56 PM   #1
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Book Recommendations for Teaching Myself French

I'm (re)learning French and I would like some recommendations on apps/programs, textbooks, dictionaries, and French novels that are easy for beginners (preferably children's stories?). I'm using Duolingo but I want to move on to something more structured.

Also, I would appreciate tips on learning another language in general, and French in particular. I did 5 years of French at secondary school and did well at it but I didn't continue after that. I had forgotten the majority of it all, but some of the vocab is coming back. As well, I live in a Francophonie country which speaks a French patios, and this is both helpful and misleading.

in advance
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:39 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Here’s something I discovered about the French language after several trips to Paris that I can’t explain:

The more French wine you drink, the better you speak French!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2017, 06:04 PM   #3
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry was what we used in my high school French class.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:17 PM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
How about the short stories by Alphonse Daudet? They're in the public domain.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:18 AM   #5
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyC View Post
Here’s something I discovered about the French language after several trips to Paris that I can’t explain:

The more French wine you drink, the better you speak French!
With a little modification, I can probably use this method to learn multiple languages

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry was what we used in my high school French class.
Thank you! It's already looking delightful

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
How about the short stories by Alphonse Daudet? They're in the public domain.
Thanks, I'll check them out
Advert
Old 11-30-2017, 02:45 AM   #6
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
You should get audio content, too. Especially if you want to travel to France. If you have a favourite DVD try watching it in French.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:34 AM   #7
Loosheesh
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperclassique View Post
You should get audio content, too. Especially if you want to travel to France. If you have a favourite DVD try watching it in French.
Great idea! I had planned to check out YouTube videos but hadn't considered French versions of my favourite DVDs.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:31 PM   #8
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
Great idea! I had planned to check out YouTube videos but hadn't considered French versions of my favourite DVDs.
You usually don't have to buy French versions. Just switch the audio track to French. Or the captions.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:36 PM   #9
Loosheesh
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
You usually don't have to buy French versions. Just switch the audio track to French. Or the captions.
Cool. My current laptop has no optical drive so I have to wait till I buy an external one to take advantage of this feature.

I've started on The Little Prince and it's wonderful. I'm doing a handwritten translation to English. Also, I picked up a couple of free children's books from Amazon and I'll attempt to translate these to French.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:38 AM   #10
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosheesh View Post
Cool. My current laptop has no optical drive so I have to wait till I buy an external one to take advantage of this feature.

I've started on The Little Prince and it's wonderful. I'm doing a handwritten translation to English. Also, I picked up a couple of free children's books from Amazon and I'll attempt to translate these to French.
Whaaa? No game console or TV with optical drive? Give it to a friend and have them rip it. My laptop doesn't have an optical drive either. Sucks, but they cost like $20 here and I haven't needed one in a couple years so I guess it isn't that bad as I thought it would be. Just *feels* limiting I suppose
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:00 AM   #11
Loosheesh
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza_Cant_Read View Post
Whaaa? No game console or TV with optical drive?
Nope, none of that, and it doesn't feel limiting at all. I have zero interest in gaming and the external monitor attached to my laptop is good enough for my needs, including the odd thing I want to watch on Netflix. The external drive, though, has been a need since I got a new laptop last year, and I just kept putting off buying one
Old 12-15-2017, 08:50 AM   #12
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Asterix comic books might be helpful too.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:58 AM   #13
Loosheesh
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulpmeister View Post
Asterix comic books might be helpful too.
Thanks! I'll check them out.

I'm currently using a language exchange app called Tandem, and it's great for practicing my oral French, which sucks big time Also, you get to meet people from around the world and learn about their cultures.