Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-13-2017, 06:58 AM   #1
il_mix
Enthusiast
il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo Collections and CBZ/CBR format

Hi, everyone.

I've read this wiki about managing Kobo Collections for book series. It's working for epub, as expected.
The problem is that I have lots of CBZ/CBR series, but these formats aren't listed in the Metadata Plugboards format combo box, so the title rewriting won't be done when sendong the book to Kobo. I've tried "any format", but still without luck.
Any hints?

With old (2-3 years ago) firmware/driver I was able to rename CBZ/CBR series; looks like something went wrong.

Also, I've just updated Kobo with the last firmware (4.5.9587), but still no luck.

Thanks!
MIX
il_mix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:00 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Firstly, the collections on the Kobo device have nothing to do with the metadata plugboards. They are created from the columns in calibre without any interaction from the plugboards. And will be created for comics as well as any other format.

If what you want is the title from calibre on the device, that isn't possible for CBR/CBZ format when sending the books. The Kobo devices do not read the metadata from these books. Any comic will get the filename as the title and the author will be "Unknown Author". After the book is on the device and imported into the database, you can use my Kobo Utilities plugin to set the metadata that isn't read when the device imports the book or has changed.

The series info is the exception to the above. It is can be set from the driver. It is checked each time the device is connected and updated if what is in the calibre library is different than on the device. Again, this works for comics in the same way as other formats.

None of this has changed for a long time. There have been bugs fixed, but essentially, all this has been working like this all the time. Or at least I can't think of anything that has change in the last three years.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2017, 08:25 AM   #3
il_mix
Enthusiast
il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.il_mix can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Collections are "created" when sending books to Kobo with the correct checks on the driver side, I suppose.
Years ago I had to use the plugboards because Kobo wasn't able to read metadata for CBZ/CBR, as you said, so I had to "force" the title.
I've just noticed that the new firmware is actually reading the metadata for these files. When on the collection, I see title - author of every volume, and above the title there is a small subtitle with series name and number. More than enough!
Old 09-19-2017, 08:21 AM   #4
il_mix
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by il_mix View Post
I've just noticed that the new firmware is actually reading the metadata for these files. When on the collection, I see title - author of every volume, and above the title there is a small subtitle with series name and number. More than enough!
Little update.
After sending a series to Kobo, the collection is created BUT no subtitle with series name and number will be displayed.
Got quite angry due to the fact that I didn't get the series info no more, then I've discovered a weird behavior. One have to reconnect the device to Calibre and send another random book. When disconnecting the device, a library update will be performed, and then subtitle with series name and number will be displayed.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:04 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by il_mix View Post
Little update.
After sending a series to Kobo, the collection is created BUT no subtitle with series name and number will be displayed.
Got quite angry due to the fact that I didn't get the series info no more, then I've discovered a weird behavior. One have to reconnect the device to Calibre and send another random book. When disconnecting the device, a library update will be performed, and then subtitle with series name and number will be displayed.
So, it is working as designed. And pretty much as I stated earlier in the thread. But, I wasn't explicit in part of the statement, so I will be now:

The series information is not, and cannot be set, when you send a book to the device. The book details have to be in the database on the device. The next time the device is connected, the driver will update the series information for any books on the device that match with books in the library, if the series information in the device does not match that in the calibre library.

Now, if the updating is only done when you send another book, then you probably don't have calibre configured properly. On the "Sending books to device" page of the preferences, you need to have "Metadata management" set to automatic. If you have this, then the series info and collections will be maintained whenever the device is connected. The other options mean that it won't be done each time.

And just to be clear on some terminology. The Kobo device has the concept of "Title", "Subtitle" and "Series". These are displayed on separate lines in the library list or book details on the device. Neither the subtitle or series can be populated when sending a book to the device. They have to be populated separately. As stated above, the series can be populated by the driver, but the subtitle can only be populated with my Kobo Utilities plugin. Unless you want to play with SQL.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2017, 03:10 AM   #6
il_mix
Enthusiast

Hi @davidfor. Sorry for the delay...
I needed your last explaination, since I've missed the point in the previous posts. Thanks!
I've already set Calibre "Metadata management" to automatic, but still no real "automatic update" is done.
I'll do further test in the future, to try to get rid of the extra "send book" I have to do at the moment to let my Kobo correctly update the metadata.

Tags
cbr, cbz, collections, kobo