Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-13-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
fugue
fugue began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
Touchscreen "soft" spot

Hello,

I bought my psc-600 a couple of weeks ago and everything has gone just fine. I'm using calibre, transferring files fine, and having a good time reading with it!

I do have something that has come up today and wanted to see if anyone else has experienced it. It feels a bit nit-picky, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't indicative of something that might occur in the future. Or whether it is worth it to exchange it for another one.

When tapping the screen with the stylus everywhere, except for a patch on the left side, the touch screen is tight. it makes a plastic "tap" noise. But for that one patch, it's a bit more squishy. The print looks fine. And the response seems ok compared to the other spots (perhaps a negligible difference). It has a bit more of a "squish"/"tick" noise compared to the rest of the screen.

Anyone else have this?

Thanks for reading my first post!
fugue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Maybe I am just as crazy as you are :P, but i just checked mine and it does seem like certain areas are a bit more squishy.

edit: hmm, maybe some other reader brand can use that in their advantage and advertise as the "nonsquishy" touch reader.

Last edited by happy_terd; 01-13-2010 at 06:35 PM.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:45 PM   #3
tuncaysu
tuncaysu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Daily Edition (PRS-900)
i don't know if it's the same issue, but with my prs-900, when i am taking notes, some of the surface area feels very rough compared to some other parts where the stylus is floating very easily.. is this a problem you think?
tuncaysu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:37 AM   #4
mokeiko
Enthusiast
mokeiko has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle DX | PRS-900 | PRS-950 | DPT-S1 | Kindle Oasis
My 900 does the same thing 3 inches above the bottom center area.

mokeiko
mokeiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:09 PM   #5
fugue
fugue began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
Well ok, so it looks like I'm not alone. Honestly it doesn't appear to be a problem on my end. Everything works ok. Maybe sony's production of the touch screen part just isn't uniform.

@tuncaysu: I think that's kinda related. That's how I first noticed it *i believe*. I got that rough feeling and thought that I had scratched it. But no scratch. When you tap there does it have a little bit more give than other places? Less of a solid feel?

Has anyone had this lend to a problem? Anyone just as crazy as me notice this and noticed that nothing bad came from it? How long have you guys owned yours?

In advance... I hope I didn't spread my neurosis to others... aka when someone points out a stuck pixel and that's all you see forever.

Thanks for all the responses so far!!!

Last edited by fugue; 01-15-2010 at 05:10 PM. Reason: added question of length of ownership
fugue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 05:13 PM   #6
Levelpart
Levelpart began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Ummm I got mine few days ago and the touchscreen seems to be perfectly fine.
Levelpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:20 AM   #7
tuncaysu
tuncaysu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader Daily Edition (PRS-900)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugue View Post
@tuncaysu: I think that's kinda related. That's how I first noticed it *i believe*. I got that rough feeling and thought that I had scratched it. But no scratch. When you tap there does it have a little bit more give than other places? Less of a solid feel?

Thanks for all the responses so far!!!
i don't know, it sounds different when i tap at different places of the screen. but i should say that the roughness while taking notes is a bit annoying (admittedly you don't always take notes, so it's not 'that' annoying)
tuncaysu is offline   Reply With Quote