Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-18-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
A Horror Novel YOU would recommend

Ok, you went and did it. Don't blame me for starting this thread, because Cthulhu seems to be controlling my every thought and action. In fact, I smell something decidedly fishy right now and the door itself seems to be breathing, if you know what I mean.

[Pause.]

Ok, I'm back. The fish smell was just my neighbor cooking up some fish for dinner. Jeezus, turn on the oven fan, I told him. You're stinking up the whole apartment building!

Well...I better stop being silly and stupid before someone complains that this thread belongs in another Forum.

So: One of the great horror novels I would recommend is also one of my favorites: The Night Land, by William Hope Hodgson. I've made this book available on MobileRead. It's also available on some other sites.

What horror novel do YOU recommend, huh?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
I Am Legend by Richard Matheson.

I cannot not recommend this. Oh, and if you have seen the movie and dislike it, give the book a try. It is different. And better.

It by Stephen King. I haven't read many stephen king's books, and I can't forget this one. It's a bit overlong, IMO, but very scary.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2009, 09:43 PM   #3
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Speaking of Cthulhu, I like
The Case of Charles Dexter Ward by H. P. Lovecraft.

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King is great.
Maybe not true horror, but many parts are scary-ass creepy.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:18 PM   #4
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
Needful Things, Misery and The Green Mile - Stephen King (what can I say, I like the guy's work. These are among the very few fiction books I've read more than once.)
Headstone City - Tom Piccirilli (maybe not outright horror, but a great read from a great horror writer)
The Licking Valley Coon Hunters Club - Brian A. Hopkins (fun, fun, fun!)
snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
My reccomendations:

Hell House by Richard Matheson
Psycho by Robert Bloch
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

Hell House is horror, suspense, and mystery all rolled into one. One of Matheson's better stories in my opinion.

Psycho is an especially rewarding read if you're already familiar with the story from the film. Bloch does a wonderful job of dropping hints throughout the book, and pretty much spells out the entire situation within the first 4 pages. It's a lot of fun finding his 'clues' and the way he weaves them in.

Haunting of Hill House is really more of a novella, but wonderfully written, very subtle, and extremeley creepy in parts. Where Matheson's Hell House is an 'in your face' haunted house book, Jackson's Haunting is the exact opposite. It's moody and atmospheric, not to be read alone on a stormy night.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2009, 10:52 PM   #6
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Speaking of classics, A Shadow Over Innsmouth - H. P. Lovecraft
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:37 PM   #7
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson is one of the best ever written.
Quote:
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream. Hill House, not sane, stood by itself against its hills, holding darkness within; it had stood so for eighty years and might stand for eighty more. Within, walls continued upright, bricks met neatly, floors were firm, and doors were sensibly shut; silence lay steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House, and whatever walked there, walked alone."
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:29 AM   #8
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
Couldn't think of a novel right now but a short story collection I loved was:

Teatro Grottesco by Thomas Ligotti
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:45 AM   #9
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
For short stories I would recommend Robert Aickman. The Wine Dark Sea and Cold Hand in Mine are good starting points.

Somewhere in the Back of Beyond
(The article has spoilers to a couple of short stories)

Last edited by BenG; 05-19-2009 at 10:56 AM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:16 AM   #10
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I quite liked Duma Key - Stephen King's last big novel. First ebook I ever read, too!

Another favorite is The House of Leaves. A strange, strange book that we won't likely see as an ebook ... forever.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:20 AM   #11
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
I'll recommend two:

Darker Than You Think and Conjure Wife both by Fritz Lieber.

The first is a werewolf novel with a twist. You may see it coming, but it was exceedingly novel and unexpected when the book was originally published in the 1950s.

The second book involves an anthropologist who accidentally discovers that all women (or at least all wives of successful men) are witches -- quite literally -- who contend magically for power and secondarily for the conventional success of their husbands. So, of course, he gets his wife to promise to stop. Oops.

Both classics from the '50s.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:49 AM   #12
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Heh, I was just getting ready to post one of Leiber's novels and Xeno beat me to it, though I was going with a different title. Strangely this title is only listed at Sony's store, I don't see anyone else carrying it as an ebook.

Our Lady of Darkness - Fritz Leiber

"Our Lady of Darkness introduces San Francisco horror writer Franz Westen. While studying his beloved city through binoculars from his apartment window, he is astonished to see a mysterious figure waving at him from a hilltop two miles away. He walks to Corona Heights and looks back at his building, to discover the figure waving at him from his apartment window--and to find himself caught in a century-spanning curse that may have destroyed Clark Ashton Smith and Jack London." -Sony Store

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:08 PM   #13
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Stephen King's Pet Cemetery (spelling?) - I read this in one sitting from about 8 pm until the wee hours - around 2 am I started hearing things move in the house and had to turn all the lights on to finish it.

Also - The Exorcist - also a reason to burn the electricity all night to finish.

poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:28 PM   #14
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Try "Lost Boys" by Orson Scott Card, if you like King or Koontz.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:57 PM   #15
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Try "Lost Boys" by Orson Scott Card, if you like King or Koontz.
Or Homebody (also by OSC).

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote