Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-26-2009, 01:10 AM   #61
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbruce View Post
I would think most PRS 700 owners don't write the reviews there - because they don't shop there (at least for their eReading stuff). Whereas Kindle owners don't really have a choice.
Exactly, and I don't intend to open an account just to add a review to defend my PRS700.

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:15 AM   #62
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
I would think most PRS 700 owners don't write the reviews there - because they don't shop there (at least for their eReading stuff). Whereas Kindle owners don't really have a choice.
One doesn't need to have purchased an item from Amazon to leave a review. That is unfortunately where the.... the..... (dare I say it.... or will there be new silliness.....?) 'you know who' come in. Since anyone can leave a bogus one star review for anything under a false name.
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2009, 01:21 AM   #63
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
Exactly, and I don't intend to open an account just to add a review to defend my PRS700.
WDE.
Grief! Take it easy.
No-one suggested that you should. If you see my original post, I said, "If you have an Amazon account" .
BTW, I thought practically all Americans had Amazon accounts?

Last edited by dragonbone; 03-26-2009 at 01:29 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:31 AM   #64
muse
Enthusiast
muse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with othersmuse plays well with others

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by grisjuan View Post
Since we're off topic already, let's just keep going!

Personally, I like Vista quite a bit. It runs great, never crashes on me, and looks a lot nicer than XP.

Under the hood, there's also a lot to like about Vista over XP, although most users don't ever know about the cool plumbing (e.g. the registry and file system are transactional).
Yeah, I personally use both XP and Vista, even tried ubuntu, and I think Vista really isn't bad. I suspect people are just too used to the interface which have roughly been the same since Win 95. And of course, there will definitely be incompatibility. You cant expect old programs to work just fine on Vista. That being said, it is a fact that many post-XP programs dont work on Vista but HEY C'MON, there are new program yeah!!

Vista probably headed in the wrong direction - Microsoft expected many to changer their old PCs when they change to Vista.

Comparing XP/Vista/PCs against Mac is just comparing apples and orange, their business model is very different.

OKAY, back to the topic. I think PRS 700 is worthed the money @ $349.
But my guess is everyone cant help but to feel there might be a new model soon, later this year, judging that:
1) Somewhat a flawed product when compared to 505, screen wise
2) What happened for 500 and 505 - there could be a 705/707 + upgrade program for 700
3) Rumours that there will be a Kindle 3 - likely Sony will come out something to compete directly with it

OF COURSE ITS ALL SPECULATIONS!

505, good screen, so-so hardware - HEY, I CANT READ PDF WELL... so what does that mean?
700, so-so screen, good hardware - HEY, I CAN READ PDF BETTER....but the screen?

Lets just take our pick and be happy with it!

ps I know pdf isnt "a format for ebooks" but you know, many materials that are meant to be read are in pdf
muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:41 AM   #65
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbone View Post
Grief! Take it easy.
No-one suggested that you should. If you see my original post, I said, "If you have an Amazon account" .
I'm sitting back taking it easy.

I too am running vista, but I ended up going full out for the Ultimate version to get the full image backup...well worth the price...wish it was installed at the factory. It still is a bit flaky, but has settled down now that I have installed most of the software I need.

BTW I'm not an American, take a look at my sig. Kindles are not available in Canada so no need to have an account at Amazon.

WDE.
Advert
Old 03-26-2009, 01:46 AM   #66
dragonbone
must love dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
BTW I'm not an American
WDE.
Oh, sorry, I didn't notice .
Old 03-26-2009, 01:55 AM   #67
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbone View Post
Oh, sorry, I didn't notice .
Like a line in part of Ashley MacIsaac's song "What an idiot he is", No problem.

"He thinks his only problem is he ain't got more
Wants to get so rich he can buy the whole damn store
Well I guess he knows the value of a hard earned buck
If you try to bum some money, you'll have no luck
But he'll spend a couple hundred dollars for a decal on his truck
No problem"

WDE.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:00 AM   #68
jbruce
Connoisseur
jbruce has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 700
Quote:
That is unfortunately where the.... the..... (dare I say it.... or will there be new silliness.....?) 'you know who' come in.
Trolls are everywhere. And, as language evolves some words get a double meaning which invokes ironical (or, if nothing else, comical) imagery. Trolls. Hooker. Snatch. Crack.

And, in a public forum, these double-meanings can bring needed levity to an otherwise dead, dying, or overly serious topic (politicians should try it sometime). Lastly, as it has been stated to me: This is Mobileread - threads get off-topic/hijacked - it comes with the territory.

Quote:
Interesting assumption. But, it doesn't mean account holders wouldn't rather be doing something else - like reading (or chilling on Mobileread with their peeps).

Quote:

Quote:
Comparing XP/Vista/PCs against Mac is just comparing apples and orange, their business model is very different.
How so?

I think the price cut - what ever the reason - was an excellent business strategy. Also, teaming with Google - another good one. As more people demand publishers release books in multiple formats - competition will begin to level out pricing. Also, we should begin to see standards being developed - and possibly the adoption of a single file format (like the internet). Finally, as more people purchase these books - manufacturing costs for e-ink, in theory, will also go down - which means we may see the technology used in a wider range of products.

I have to admit, I usually don't buy first gen devices, but in the case of the PRS 700 I was willing to take a chance.

Cheers,
J

Last edited by jbruce; 03-26-2009 at 02:02 AM.
jbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:02 AM   #69
dragonbone
must love dogs

changed my mind...

Last edited by dragonbone; 03-31-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:14 AM   #70
dragonbone
must love dogs

Quote:
Trolls are everywhere.
Lastly, as it has been stated to me: This is Mobileread - threads get off-topic/hijacked - it comes with the territory.
I wasn't talking about MobileRead Forums! Why would you say that ?
Please go back to my original post, where I said that there were trolls on AMAZON. I'm really not sure why everyone has gotten so upset about that.
Sorry if that has upset Amazon lovers, or whoever.

OK, I give up.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:30 AM   #71
jbruce
Connoisseur
jbruce has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 700
Quote:
OK, I give up.
Wasn't attacking you DB. I know the original concept was trolls and Amazon. (Which was an evolution away from the original topic anyway.) However, the conversation kinda evolved into the definition of trolls and language. And, about 'you know who'. That's what I was speaking to.

I cannot speak for 'everyone' - but I'm not upset. Just talking (well writing).

Cheers,
J

ps. That quote of my post leaves out quite a bit - altering it from it's original context and meaning.

Last edited by jbruce; 03-26-2009 at 04:28 AM. Reason: added ps
jbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:28 AM   #72
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
Dragon:
I'm sorry for such the confusion! I am not german, I have no idea where you got that idea. I am Latin born in the US, english being my first language. And that said the public education in NY isnt that great, I did not know the official definition of a troll. I was familiar with the ones in the tales. As for the quote, I simply read it in the book I was reading and found it very serendipitous. Thank you for the real definition of troll and the origin of the proverb.
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote