Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-27-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
glenn cornish
glenn cornish began at the beginning.

Device: Sony e-book
Sony e-reader new user

Hi - delighted to find this community - I am in the UK, and was bought an e-reader by my lovely wife! It's already crashed once, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Re-setting was a cinch, though. Looking forward to exploring its abilities. I welcome communication from other forum members.

Glenn Cornish
glenn cornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 12:42 AM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn cornish View Post
Hi - delighted to find this community - I am in the UK, and was bought an e-reader by my lovely wife! It's already crashed once, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Re-setting was a cinch, though. Looking forward to exploring its abilities. I welcome communication from other forum members.

Glenn Cornish
Welome to MR Glen. Which Sony Ebook Reader did your wife buy you, the PRS505 or PRS700? Both are good choices, in my view, with advantages and disadvantages to both. Hope you're enjoying yours as much as I am mine.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2008, 08:18 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Only the 505 is sold in the UK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:20 AM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Glenn and welcome to the Forum. My 505 has crashed once or twice but, by and large, it is very dependable. And, I'm addicted to the damn thing!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 08:54 AM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Welcome! So far my Reader hasn't crashed, thanks goodness! I'd probably have a heart attack!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
glenn cornish

Thanks for the welcome

Many thanks to those who have welcomed me. I'm still getting to grips with my reader, and you're quite right, Harry, only the 505 is sold in the UK, and that's where my Wife bought it! Waterstones have been really helpful, because my wife bought me an e-book, but didn't download it! They couldn't work out how to get it to me, so they kindly refunded me, and we started again.

I obviously have an attraction to the 'quirky' - we've just bought a folding camper - the bottom half of a caravan, and the top half of a tent! Can't wait to camp in it. Ideal place to use my reader, I reckon.

I'm frustrated to find that Oliver James book 'Affluenza' isn't available as an e-book. Is there a site where one can petition for specific books to be made available? Is that book available in any other format that I can convert? Does anyone know what proportion of books currently newly published are available electronically? As e-books?

Thanks
Glenn Cornish
Old 01-04-2009, 05:52 PM   #7
glenn cornish

Wink Books to read

Lilac Jive - if you've not read John Wyndham's Chocky, I can highly recommend it! Read it when a teenager - a really good what if...
Impressed with your goal. Not sure I could stick to such a list, even a thousand books - I like to see where my reading takes me.

Glenn Cornish
Old 01-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #8
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Glenn, one of the things we routinely complain about is that certain new books aren't being offered in electronic format. And even when they are, we tend to be upset at the price. Most of us believe that an electronic book should not cost more than the equivalent paperback, given that there are no tangible materials involved, no shipping, and no need to keep a reserve for returns from unsold stock. That should significantly lower the cost to the consumer -- but I'm afraid that they are using that to increase the profit to the publisher and retailer.

With my Kindle from Amazon, there's a link on most pages at Amazon.com that says "Tell the publisher I'd like to read this book on my Kindle". I don't know if that goes anywhere or makes any difference at all, but it does feel good when I click on it.

Welcome to MobileRead.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote