Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #46
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
it's probably been a week since i last charged it and it's on medium power....so removing the sd card definitely helped the battery life a lot.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:19 PM   #47
Demos
Demos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by gueeds View Post
I'm currently considering getting a Kindle with the offer currently running on Amazon, but after doing some research, I'd like to ask this question.

I know the between charge life is pretty good, it can go a few days between charges depending on use. But I was looking at the page on Amazon for the replacement battery and there are numerous entries where reviewers claim their battery will no longer hold a charge after 3-5 months. Has anyone else experienced such short battery life? I would hate to spend so much on this device and have to purchase 3-4 batteries each year at $20 each.
I just joined this thread. I am having big time battery problems with my Kindle. I just sent this to the Amazon thread on Kindle battery life:

I bought my Kindle in July, 2008. The original battery lasted 77 days. The second battery lasted 71 days. The third battery lasted 75 days. I ordered a fourth battery in November 2008 and I am still waiting for it. That means my $359.00 investment is dead, useless. Furthermore, when I called Kindle support, I was told that Kindle batteries last "years." When I took issue with that statement, the phone went dead. I began as an enthusiastic recommender of the Kindle. No more. Amazon needs to level with its customers about the durability of its batteries and why it is unable to supply replacements. Even more importantly, it should recognize that having banked my $359.00, it owes me a refund. I would be very interested to know if others have had similar experiences.
Demos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #48
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demos View Post
I just joined this thread. I am having big time battery problems with my Kindle. I just sent this to the Amazon thread on Kindle battery life:

I bought my Kindle in July, 2008. The original battery lasted 77 days. The second battery lasted 71 days. The third battery lasted 75 days. I ordered a fourth battery in November 2008 and I am still waiting for it. That means my $359.00 investment is dead, useless. Furthermore, when I called Kindle support, I was told that Kindle batteries last "years." When I took issue with that statement, the phone went dead. I began as an enthusiastic recommender of the Kindle. No more. Amazon needs to level with its customers about the durability of its batteries and why it is unable to supply replacements. Even more importantly, it should recognize that having banked my $359.00, it owes me a refund. I would be very interested to know if others have had similar experiences.
Wow. That sucks! there have been some problems noted elsewhere with battery life and the connection when installing a battery. maybe your kindle has a loose connection? Just a thought, since 80- days per battery is severely short. I don't really buy the years theory, but it should last more than a quarter of a year...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #49
nelliesorvig
nelliesorvig began at the beginning.

Device: Handheld
What are you guys getting when using wireless?
nelliesorvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #50
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliesorvig View Post
What are you guys getting when using wireless?
Depends on the signal. When I was getting 1x, no real battery problem. Since EVDO came up in my little town, the battery has been acting up, and seems worse when there are less than three bars. This is all subjective, however, as I have not done any bench testing.
Advert
Old 01-22-2009, 02:30 PM   #51
nelliesorvig
nelliesorvig began at the beginning.

Device: Handheld
So, other networks in the area will reduce battery life. Did not know that
nelliesorvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:30 PM   #52
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I rarely use the wireless unless I'm downloading something or want to check something really quickly.

The kindles whispernet isn't designed for extensive 'browsing' and will drain your battery quickly.

That being said I am on the original battery I got in June with my unit. Have had no problems.

They do suggest frequent charging, so I usually just plug it in at night before I got to sleep.....that way, its always charged and ready for the next day. (page 21 in the "About your Kindle" booklet included with your Kinde)

I know cell phones advise not charging until its almost done, but these batteries are apparently different.

Last edited by desertgrandma; 01-22-2009 at 02:39 PM. Reason: adding reference page.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:35 PM   #53
pshrynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelliesorvig View Post
So, other networks in the area will reduce battery life. Did not know that
I think it ignores other networks. I just live in a little backwater area that did not get full EVDO capacity until December of 08, so I have experience with both EVDO and 1x...
Old 01-22-2009, 02:54 PM   #54
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
Quote:

That seems very extreme and I tend to agree with pshrynk that the problem might be with your actual Kindle, that there might be some problem with the connection causing your batteries to short out somehow. One battery bad can happen, but that many bad in a row is really strange.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:17 PM   #55
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
any chance that you are using a larger SD card not recommended for Kindle?
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:32 PM   #56
Demos

I have yet to use an SD card.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:47 AM   #57
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
I have yet to use an SD card.
Call Amazon and return the Kindle for another one. Don't take no for an answer because you have a bad Kindle. Tell them both mobileread forum and Amazon forum kindle board members told you that it's not the battery since none of them have experienced what you're going through. Sometimes they are faster when they think you're going to bad mouth them on a forum; it worked for me with Sony! Good luck!
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:11 AM   #58
Demos

Many thanks! Good advice. I'll do it.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:17 AM   #59
Demos

Retraction: My Kindle replaced

I'm happy to say that my original post, critical of Kindle, was the result of a misunderstanding. I called Amazon again and spoke to a different person. He took me through a few steps with the Kindle and immediately decided I should get a replacement. Which I now have.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:31 AM   #60
pshrynk

Quote:
I'm happy to say that my original post, critical of Kindle, was the result of a misunderstanding. I called Amazon again and spoke to a different person. He took me through a few steps with the Kindle and immediately decided I should get a replacement. Which I now have.
I'm glad that worked! My kindle is such a great thing, I'd hate to think that someone had gotten a raw deal.

Tags
duck!