Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 01-02-2014, 11:40 AM   #1
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Can the software be configured to automatically end old threads?

There have been several times lately that newbies have posted to old dead threads. On other boards I have seen threads closed. Is is possible to automate it here after say 90 days with no postings?
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please ask questions like this in the "Feedback" forum. I'll move this thread there now.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2014, 11:42 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That probably wouldn't be a good idea. There are valid reasons why you may wish to post to an old thread. The current forum software does warn you if you do attempt to post to an old thread.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 07:02 PM   #4
bawldiggle
anything is possible
bawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one hand

Device: Kobo Aura HD
And how old is old.?

Recently on a windows-system forum (while searching for some clues) I found a 2 year old thread that had never been responded to. It happens!
By chance I knew the solution and posted a detailed fix.
The original threader was very pleased to get a solution, even after 2 years.

Now that thread has taken off, I get about 2 notifications per week. A once orphaned thread is now helping a good number of people.

I do acknowledge not all solutions are fixes.

Personally I think 2 or 3 years is long enough for a thread. Many forums simply lock old threads.

Last edited by bawldiggle; 01-09-2014 at 07:10 PM.
bawldiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:37 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawldiggle View Post
And how old is old.?

Recently on a windows-system forum (while searching for some clues) I found a 2 year old thread that had never been responded to. It happens!
By chance I knew the solution and posted a detailed fix.
The original threader was very pleased to get a solution, even after 2 years.

Now that thread has taken off, I get about 2 notifications per week. A once orphaned thread is now helping a good number of people.

I do acknowledge not all solutions are fixes.

Personally I think 2 or 3 years is long enough for a thread. Many forums simply lock old threads.
Calibre threads can become old within months because the program moves that fast.
Old is relative
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2014, 03:55 PM   #6
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Please Don't

The "Milestone" Thread is considered an "old" thread and I just resurrected it because I wanted to celebrate my 3 year anniversary as a member here at MobileRead. This prompted other people to celebrate their milestones as well. I would have been disappointed if that thread had been automatically closed.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:24 PM   #7
bawldiggle
anything is possible
bawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one handbawldiggle can read with one hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks
Calibre threads can become old within months because the program moves that fast.
Old is relative
As a newbie to Kobo + eBooks + Calibre + ADE ... Thanks for the info.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:01 AM   #8
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Threads never grow old - just timeless .... (like me)
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:59 PM   #9
bawldiggle
anything is possible

Nothing is forever

Are we discussing "lounge" sub-forums ?

If not ...
... as a self confessed ludite ...
If a thread is still relevant, maybe leave it open
But if the content is outdated, let it go. Lock it or move it to a legacy forum.

To retain an old (unlocked) thread because of an emotional attachment defeats the purpose of any forum.
And if a thread is that brilliant it should be a sticky or tutorial. Maybe rewritten by admin (or knowledgeable volunteers) to cut down on the crud and misinformation.
Locked threads discourage "ranters" (rants only bump threads, and again defeat the purpose of the forum)

I choose a forum by ...
  • number of lookers on line.
  • age of first page of threads
  • how active is the forum
  • how quickly are threads responded to, if at all.
  • quality of support -- one line answers can just be post-counting.
  • stickies or tutorials
  • logical structure --some forum structures out smart themselves
  • no ads when I am logged in

This is the only reasonably active forum for "eBooks" I could find. The replies have been excellent and very helpful. Timely, to-the-point, address my questions

There is nothing more irritating than spending an hour or more reading through an ancient thread to discover the solutions/structures have changed over the years.
eg, I certainly don't want to waste my time reading about Win-95 in 2014.

In their frustration newbies want info/help that is relevant NOW. As dinosaurs we grew up in times when we had to be patient there was no internet nor complex home technology.
On forums where I know my stuff there are a lot of young people and dinosaurs climbing the walls out of frustration on how to resolve their technical problems.

"Balance" is the keyword.
If we live in the past we are ignoring today.

Last edited by bawldiggle; 01-12-2014 at 04:06 PM. Reason: ... because I can !
Old 01-12-2014, 07:37 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawldiggle View Post
[*] no ads when I am logged in
Can't you just use Adblock Plus?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:40 PM   #11
bawldiggle
anything is possible

Hi eschwartz

Thank you for the prompt on "AdBlock Plus"
For years I have vowed to follow up on ad-blocking, now I have done it

Thank you
Old 01-16-2014, 01:27 PM   #12
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I'll add only one thing. If adding to the thread helps or informs just one other person, then it was not old.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote