Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-11-2013, 09:13 AM   #31
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Xendula, I am the voice of your conscience.....
Take both
Oh, you are a bad influence!! I ended up ordering the purple one. Can't wait!
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #32
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdschi View Post
Did you get those on ebay? I know I saw some unbranded ones there somewhere but I can't find them again - only ones I'm getting now are the branded ones. I'm wary of importing such blatant knock-offs...
Yes 2 of them were from ebay - give me a few minutes and I'll go and find the links - the other one is from Oberon.
I don't care about them being (more or less) blatant knock-offs, but for some reason I've always really disliked obvious branding on stuff and so absolutely refuse to buy any cases that say "Kindle" on them - I know it's a Kindle, I don't need to be reminded and since Amazon aren't paying me to advertise, I don't see why I should...

Edit: I got one (light blue) from here : http://stores.ebay.co.uk/flyphoenix0810
but it looks that it's UK only for deliveries.
The other seller I bought from doesn't seem to have PW covers anymore

Last edited by Yolina; 09-11-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #33
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yolina View Post
At least my dislike of branding is coming handy for once and saving me some money
I know how you feel. I don't really mind branding, as long as it is done judiciously. I actually like it, if the brand is visible, but unobtrusive, especially if I like the brand.

However, some items (musical instruments such as some keyboards, for example) have an in-your-face branding in a fat 72-point font. "Hey, we have a nice flat surface there. Let's put our name on it, and make it so big you can read it a mile away!" I hate that, and I avoid them. My stuff should not be a freaking billboard.

You know... my eyesight is poor. Only 33% (in one eye) including glasses. If *I* can read your brand from across the room *without* my glasses.... then you're doing it wrong.

The covers in these posts look fine to me, however.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:32 AM   #34
Jdschi
Connoisseur
Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.

Device: Nexus 7.2, PW2
Yolina thank you for checking. That explains why I couldn't find the non-branded ones. I don't mind the branding too much (I do think it's ugly though) but importing stuff like that is illegal here so if customs were to check the package... I'd rather not have that. Maybe I'll get one of those Map cases instead even though they don't have a magnetic clasp. Hm.
Jdschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #35
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdschi View Post
Yolina thank you for checking. That explains why I couldn't find the non-branded ones. I don't mind the branding too much (I do think it's ugly though) but importing stuff like that is illegal here so if customs were to check the package... I'd rather not have that. Maybe I'll get one of those Map cases instead even though they don't have a magnetic clasp. Hm.
Look what I've found
From Hong Kong and does ship to Germany.

Last edited by Yolina; 09-12-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #36
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've ordered the GoogleProducts case on Sept 6, and received it today. Fast shipment.

It is as described in the previous, long thread.

- The cover is smooth. I like it more than I thought, really.
- After the Kindle is seated and the cover is closed, it feels very compact and "dense".
- It doesn't stay closed initially, but laying the reader upside down has mended that partly, already. I think the cover will stay closed within a day or two.
- Sleep/Wake function works well.
- No closing magnet, but no clasps or metal parts either.
- You can't get the Kindle out after it's in. You'll need a plastic prying tool (such as the ones to pry iPods apart). I'll order one.

Two small nitpicks:
- There is sort of a "knotty" thing at the lower edge of the cover, in the middle of the seam; I think it's the point where the seam starts and ends. My current cover had such a thing exactly on the spot where my thumb is.
- At first, it looked like the cover was heavily damaged on the front, but it turned out to be some sort of plastic or maybe glue residue or something. It came right off using some 96% alcohol.

For a price of €9 including shipping, it's good value. I like the snap cover better than I thought, but I wish Amazon would have thought a bit further and have a magnet integrated into the KPW's frame, so the cover could have had a closing magnet WITHOUT a clasp.

I've got the one that exactly looks like (but isn't) the original on the way too.

I'll try both covers for some time, and in the end, I'll keep one. The others may appear in MR's flea market.

*Pennywise Voice* - Because of the low price, I now have aaaallll the colors. They're all down here... floating. Won't you come see them? Mwuahaha....

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-13-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #37
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I've ordered the GoogleProducts case on Sept 6, and received it today. Fast shipment.

It is as described in the previous, long thread.

- The cover is smooth. I like it more than I thought, really.
- After the Kindle is seated and the cover is closed, it veels very compact and "dense".
- It doesn't stay closed initially, but laying the reader upside down has mended that partly, already. I think the cover will stay closed within a day or two.
- Sleep/Wake function works well.
- No closing magnet, but no clasps or metal parts either.
- You can't get the Kindle out after it's in. You'll need a plastic prying tool (such as the ones to pry iPods apart). I'll order one.

Two small nitpicks:
- There is sort of a "knotty" thing at the lower edge of the cover, in the middle of the seam; I think it's the point where the seam starts and ends. My current cover had such a thing exactly on the spot where my thumb is.
- At first, it looked like the cover was heavily damaged on the front, but it turned out to be some sort of plastic or maybe glue residue or something. It came right off using some 96% alcohol.

For a price of €9 including shipping, it's good value. I like the snap cover better than I thought, but I wish Amazon would have thought a bit further and have a magnet integrated into the KPW's frame, so the cover could have had a closing magnet WITHOUT a clasp.

I've got the one that exactly looks like (but isn't) the original on the way too.

I'll try both covers for some time, and in the end, I'll keep one. The others may appear in MR's flea market.

*Pennywise Voice* - Because of the low price, I now have aaaallll the colors. They're all down here... floating. Won't you come see them? Mwuahaha....
Pictures, or it did not happen
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #38
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
[QUOTE=xendula;2619256]Hope this has not been mentioned beore, but last year's slim PW case thread was a bit long.
For those of you looking for a new PW case...

I just ordered this case in pink for $8 on Ebay - don't ask me why- I already have one case too many.....

It looks better than the googleproducts case, because the leather grain is similar to the original case, but the closure sticks out a bit and may thus be in the way.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have this case. The pictures on ebay very accurately reflect the case. I'm amazed at how light it is.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:56 PM   #39
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

First, what I ordered is not the cover Xendula opened this thread with. This is the 1st version GoogleProduct cover half the world has been ordering for a year.

Second...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Pictures, or it did not happen
Pictures? Nope.

But you did say Pretty Please in the Karma content box... OK, I'll try. But I have to make a white background because all surfaces here are dark. And fix the pictures for uploading. And resize them. And....

*sigh*

The troubles I go through to appease the women of this world. Ah well. Here you go. Because you asked so nicely.

But I didn't remove any dust. So there. Grmpff. <== (Exaggerated manly grunt)

01. Open, inside.

02. Open, outside.

03. Open, Kindle seated.

04. See? No closing magnet. (Better when lying down.)

If you have strong hands and not too much feeling in your thumbs, you may be able to get the Kindle out by bending one of the corners. Being or becoming a construction worker may be of some help in acquiring said hands.

Using a prying tool is much faster though.

I didn't have one, but I do have a box of paperclips. Being an engineer, I often think up wacky solutions. So, I wrapped a paperclip in 2 inch of thin transparent tape, so the clip doesn't damage the Kindle. This can be used as a prying tool.

Pardon me for the bad close-up pictures. Depth-of-field is not too large, and the pictures may have movement blur. I do not have a tripod, because I normally don't use that, and don't take these kind of pictures.

05. Prying Tool (Home made):

06. Insert it between the Kindle and case, at the top:

07. Slide it to the left corner (easiest to bend with my case):

08. Apply some leverage, and the Kindle pops out:

Now you *can* use your thumbs to bend the lower left corner, and it'll pop off easily.

PS: Would please fix that epic typo in the text you quoted?
"It veels very compact and dense." It makes me want to pronounce that sentence using a stereotypical German accent.

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-13-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:26 PM   #40
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Nice cover, katsunami. Wow, you got yours fast from googleproducts. Took over 6 weeks to get mine - seriously! The one I got for my kindle touch has a really rough edge on the plastic and the plastic had the beginning of a crack in it. Bah, I wasn't happy. Glad you're happy with yours.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:37 PM   #41
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Sorry to hear that you were not happy. Have you filed a complaint (with pictures) to the seller? Many EBay sellers dread to acquire a negative comment, so you might actually get a new cover sent without even having to send the old one back, or you may just get a refund.

This cover doesn't have any defects, apart from the well-known fact that it doesn't fully lies flat in the beginning. It seems the spine needs to wear/stretch a bit.

The small "knot" on the bottom seam is something I've seen with a lot of covers for phones, readers and tablets. My previous cover has it also, but right under the thumb.

By the way: folding back the cover works well. It's not slippery or anything, as was reported with the new Sony T3 cover. It's easy to hold the Kindle in one hand if you want to.

I still have the slip cover, which does have a closing magnet, integrated into the part that covers the Kindle's bezel. It's a nice cover, but after using it about 8 months, it seems to be "stretching" or something; the Kindle now often sits askew; aside from that, I started to dislike the covering of the bezel, because it makes a "stair" toward the screen. (Cover -> Bezel -> Screen).

After I receive the "fake original", the one with the metal clasp and closing magnet, I'll try that one too, and see how I like that.

Last edited by Katsunami; 09-13-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #42
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad yours is perfect! I was sad mine wasn't, but no biggie really. I ended up ordering an official amazon one for my touch and the price was reduced so win/win.
Old 09-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #43
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks a lot!!! This is a classy cover indeed !

And you soooooooo deserve the pre-Karma you got from me

Now, regarding you super-engineering tool: could an old credit card also do the job, or not ?
Old 09-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #44
aceflor
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Glad yours is perfect! I was sad mine wasn't, but no biggie really. I ended up ordering an official amazon one for my touch and the price was reduced so win/win.
There was a small window of like 7 days here with reduced price, but only for the black cover, which I am not interested in. I want a girly cover
Old 09-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #45
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Sorry to hear that you were not happy. Have you filed a complaint (with pictures) to the seller? Many EBay sellers dread to acquire a negative comment, so you might actually get a new cover sent without even having to send the old one back, or you may just get a refund.
I did tell the seller, yes, and he said he sent out another cover, but it never arrived. He kept telling me to give it another week. In the end, I filed a complaint and got my money back. The seller did apologize and seemed earnest, so maybe it got lost in the mail, I'm really not sure. Either way, it was fine in the end as I got an official amazon case for only 10.00.