Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-29-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
amazon.de appstore not working on Kindle Fire 1st Generation

Now that the Kindle Fire is finally available in Europe, and www.amazon.com was so nice to suggest to me that I move over my Kindle Fire to the www.amazon.de shop, I have tried without success to install the German appstore on my fire.

It asks me whether I really want to replace a system application, then once the update is done, it does not start and the app store on the device does not open any more. I have reset my device to factory defaults (restoring the US app store) and tried again, with the same result.

I have sent a message to www.amazon.de for help, but maybe someone here on the forum does have any tips.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
You'd have to restart your entire Amazon account again to do that. It doesn't work because they rebuilt the store from the ground up, so when you try opening it, the Kindle isn't seeing what it's supposed to be seeing (intent hooks I guess), and so it freaks out.

If you log into the KF with an Amazon DE account, I think it would just update the store to show only what's in the DE version. Have you tried that?
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Jessica,

unfortunately, this is not how it works. When I log on to the US web store with a German user ID, I only get a message like "your account has a non-US billing address. Sorry, we can not sell anything to you"

Also, the German appstore is a bit different to the US one - it can only be accessed from the android device itself via the shop application, not online. And the support people at amazon.de said that the 1st generation Kindle Fire is "one of very few" android devices that are.not.compatible with the amazon.de webshop.

Sigh. I had hoped to finally be able to avoid the extra charges for the virtual www.usunlocked.com credit card that I need for app purchases (and always changing between the two addresses that have that credit card and my "real" German credit card that I use for buying books).

Best regards,
Andy

PS: I had already planned to put my old Kindle Fire on eBay. But upon testing my long-awaited Kindle Paperwhite, I now know how good the Fire (even the old non-HD one) really is for nighttime reading, so there is no way I will get rid of that now.

Last edited by Andy_T; 10-29-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Aw, sorry about that. The only thing I can think of doing is rooting, flashing Jelly Bean, using the Kindle Android app, and getting the Amazon App Store that way. But I don't know if you're using Kindle Fire versions of apps that wouldn't be accessible afterwards.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
Andy_T
Evangelist

Yes, that might make sense!

I wonder why they did not tell me about that...

Best regards,
Andy
Advert
Old 10-29-2012, 12:33 PM   #6
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Because, they wouldn't.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
Andy_T
Evangelist

So, in the meantime I have tried to install the European Amazon app from the google play store ... without success.

It seems that the kindle fire is one of the presumably few devices that are not compatible with the google play store :-(

Also, google chrome browser does not seem to be available for the fire, and the amazon silk browser just stops working horribly often when trying to access google wallet or similar.

Every day, the"routing" alternative looks more interesting.

As tablet, I am not terribly happy with the fire. Guess I will simply wait for my company win 8 pro tablet and continue using my iPad (1) as tablet and the fire as nighttime reader.

Last edited by Andy_T; 11-04-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #8
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Google Chrome is only available for devices running Ice Cream Sandwich or higher.

And yeah, you know why it isn't compatible? Because it has a DPI that isn't normal. It's a little lower than the lowest default to make reading on the screen easier.