Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2012, 12:14 AM   #1
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
.kepub.epub

This is something I haven't seen mentioned before...

Apparently, if an ePub on the Touch is renamed to the "double extension" of ".kepub.epub" it will treated as a kepub instead of an epub. This means that the book will be opened using the kepub reader. That will give you the page per chapter that some people like.

The next question of course is how to get the files onto the device like this. If you use calibre, it does not support this. But, you could change your save template to add ".kepub" to the end of the name. I just tried with:

Code:
{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}.kepub
This affects all files, so if you want some to be treated as kepubs and some not, then you need something else. The template could use some metadata in the library to decide whether to put the ".kepub" in or not.

With my brief testing, it works but the Touch did not generate covers for the books I tried.

This came from a bug reported against the driver in calibre. The request there is to not lose the .kepub for Japanese books that come with that in the first place.

As I said, I haven't seen this mentioned before. But, I am sure someone will point to the thread about it in the next couple of minutes
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:37 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What I'm not sure about is exactly WHICH rendering engine this uses. I'm not sure whether it uses the original kepub engine or the new ACCESS based engine that Kobo is using for ePub3 / Japanese (or whether the old engine even exists now).
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2012, 01:00 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
What I'm not sure about is exactly WHICH rendering engine this uses. I'm not sure whether it uses the original kepub engine or the new ACCESS based engine that Kobo is using for ePub3 / Japanese (or whether the old engine even exists now).
The bug report is from a Japanese user with FW2.1.1. The real problem is the lack of Japanese support in the epub engine in 2.1.1. As doing this displayed the Japanese book correctly, it must be using the ACCESS engine. I suppose it could choosing the engine based on the contents as well. But, I hope not.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:36 AM   #4
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Interesting and very clever!

Now for it to start syncing the kepub.epubs between devices
And, for it to give the option to not display numbers per chapter...
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:41 AM   #5
mapline
Enthusiast
mapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kobo Touch
Hi
See post:
07-28-2012, 04:08 PM #4
dsandrei
Don't know if you are still interested in this but if so you can take a look at my post http://dsandrei.blogspot.fr/2012/07/koboish-ebooks.html where I describe how to fix the covers and the annotations. Actually you get most of the things you described in your first post

All my epubs are now kobofied and work fine with 1.9, 2, 2.1 and now 2.1.4.

I change epubs with calibre "search & replace changes" and then use dsandrei modified "modiy epub".

Now not bothering to change covers as I delete book after reading. But if anyone can take it further that will be great.

Last edited by mapline; 10-09-2012 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Addittion
mapline is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2012, 06:49 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapline View Post
Hi
See post:
dsandrei
Don't know if you are still interested in this but if so you can take a look at my post http://dsandrei.blogspot.fr/2012/07/koboish-ebooks.html where I describe how to fix the covers and the annotations. Actually you get most of the things you described in your first post

I change epubs with calibre "search & replace changes" and then use dsandrei modified "modiy epub".

Now not bothering to change covers as I delete book after reading. But if anyone can take it further that will be great.
As I said, I was sure someone would point it out the previous post. What's worse, when I looked at it, I remembered reading it before.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
mdclements
Kobo Developer
mdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
This is something I haven't seen mentioned before...

Apparently, if an ePub on the Touch is renamed to the "double extension" of ".kepub.epub" it will treated as a kepub instead of an epub. This means that the book will be opened using the kepub reader. That will give you the page per chapter that some people like.

The next question of course is how to get the files onto the device like this. If you use calibre, it does not support this. But, you could change your save template to add ".kepub" to the end of the name. I just tried with:

Code:
{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}.kepub
This affects all files, so if you want some to be treated as kepubs and some not, then you need something else. The template could use some metadata in the library to decide whether to put the ".kepub" in or not.

With my brief testing, it works but the Touch did not generate covers for the books I tried.

This came from a bug reported against the driver in calibre. The request there is to not lose the .kepub for Japanese books that come with that in the first place.

As I said, I haven't seen this mentioned before. But, I am sure someone will point to the thread about it in the next couple of minutes
This is not a supported method of reading ePUBs. While it may render correctly the software may not interact with the book in the correct way since kepub.epub books come from the Kobo servers.
mdclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclements View Post
This is not a supported method of reading ePUBs. While it may render correctly the software may not interact with the book in the correct way since kepub.epub books come from the Kobo servers.
I know that, and apart from trying it for curiosities sake, I have no intention of using it. I really don't like the page number on a per chapter basis. I'll point to your post if anyone has issues

But, the original bug report is from a Japanese user. Is there any chance they are getting .kepub.epub books in a different manner? And what is with the double extension? The only books I have seen like this are the welcome guides. Any book I have from Kobo has what appears to be a GUID as the name and no extension. Under what circumstances would I see a .kepub.epub?
Old 12-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
zavidos
zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!zavidos , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Hi
See post:
dsandrei

I try to use your method to have cover of my kepub back, but it doesn't work for my kobo glo, the image size is always the same?
zavidos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #10
mapline
Enthusiast
mapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the endmapline knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kobo Touch
Hi zavidos
Seen your post but I've found covers only displayed to version 2.1.5.
Don't know why its stopped after that. ie what changes Kobo have made.
The books still work as kepubs!
mapline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
kerb
Nameless Being

Quote:
Hi

Thanks very much for that post Mapline. I haave not been able to use SQSpyLite to have my cover back however. So I was wondering if you could explain what you mean by:

"I don't actually use this as it requires you to unpack the book, repack and so on and that's to much work for me so I just modified kiwidude's Modify Epub plugin for calibre to do this for me."

Is that version of Modify ePub available somewhere? or is it just specific settings? Also, would that fix the problem with annotations?

Many thanks
Old 12-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Sorta worried about Kobo moving to NetFront as a rendering engine, since my experience with Netfront in Japanese consoles (Sega, Sony, and Nintendo have all used it) is that it's garbage / the sort of software that only survives because insular Japanese companies want a Japanese browser supplier.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:09 AM   #13
kerb
Nameless Being

Thanks so much to Joel Goguen. He has published a driver which sorts out the problem of covers for kobofied files. I'm so happy now!!! Just follow the instructions

https://github.com/jgoguen/calibre-kobo-driver#readme

he published a comment here too (by the very end) http://dsandrei.blogspot.co.uk/2012/...19243870487287
Old 01-20-2013, 07:41 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Driver changes

For the last few days I have been thinking about whether to integrate Joel's code into the calibre driver. I have not been complete convinced it was a good idea as Kobo do not really support this. Also, it isn't something I personally need. While I do buy books from Kobo, I generally read the sideloaded ePub version. A lot of that is because I do fiddle with the formatting to get them how I want to read them.

But, after reading a few things and trying a couple of others, I have decided to do it. One of the big reasons to do it is the support for RTL languages. Another is ePub3 support. Kobo seem to be moving ahead with this, and at the moment this is the only way to use it for sideloaded books.

Having said that, don't hold your breath. It won't be done this week. The changes aren't that hard, but I need to test them to make sure they work, don't break anything else and aren't a performance problem. Plus, if I find a problem with this, I might stop. And other things, fixing bugs in the driver, work, family, reading, sleep (not necessarily in that order) will take precedence.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Getting covers back

For those who are missing the covers when the use ".kepub.epub" books, there is a "simple" fix. For a couple of reason, today I loaded some ePub3 books. These had to be .kepub.epub to use the kepub reader. I was surprised when the books turned up in the library with a cover. I opened up the files to see how the cover was specified. The OPF file, in the <manifest> section, had the following line:

Code:
<item media-type="image/jpeg" id="cover" href="cover.jpg" properties="cover-image"></item>
When I looked at an ePub2, the equivalent line didn't have the "properties". I added this to the epub, copied it to the device, changed the extension and disconnected. The cover image was extracted and displayed correctly.

An interesting thing is that the cover image is used directly. For epubs, the device generates the first page of the book and uses that as the cover image. With the above, the it seems the image is extracted from the file and used.

With the usual "don't try this at home", "make sure you know what you are doing", "it's not my fault if you mess it up", to add this in calibre:

- Select the book
- Right click on it and select "Tweak Book"
- On the dialog that opens, press "Explode book". A window will open with the contents of the book.
- Find the OPF file. It is usually called "package.opf" or "content.opf". This file contains XML.
- Edit the OPF file. In Windows I use Notepad++ but Notepad should be OK.
- Find the "<manifest>" section.
- Somewhere before the "<manifest>" line, should be a line similar to above or the following.
Code:
<item href="Images/cover.jpg" id="cover.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" />
- Add properties="cover-image" within the tag. THe above would then look like:

Code:
<item href="Images/cover.jpg" id="cover.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" properties="cover-image" />
- Save the changes and close the window with the files in it.
- On the calibre window, press the "Rebuild Book" button.

The epub is now ready to be put on your Kobo device with the appropriate extension.

Tags
epub, kepub, kobo