Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #481
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ousia View Post
Reading the instructions to install the modified reader without rooting the PRS-T1, I have found:

In the reader/reader.xml file there are:

Code:
	<fonts>
		<font name="Amasis" regular="AmasisMTW1G.otf" italic="AmasisMTW1G-Italic.otf" bold="AmasisMTW1G-Bold.otf" bolditalic="AmasisMTW1G-BoldItalic.otf" />
		<font name="Palatino Nova" regular="PalatinoNovaW1G-Regular.otf" italic="PalatinoNovaW1G-Italic.otf" bold="PalatinoNovaW1G-Bold.otf" bolditalic="PalatinoNovaW1G-BoldItalic.otf" />
		<font name="Really No 2" regular="ReallyNo2LTW1G-Regular.otf" italic="ReallyNo2LTW1G-Italic.otf" bold="ReallyNo2LTW1G-Bold.otf" bolditalic="ReallyNo2LTW1G-BoldItalic.otf" />
		<font name="Frutiger" regular="FrutigerNeueLTW1G-Regular.otf" italic="FrutigerNeueLTW1G-Italic.otf" bold="FrutigerNeueLTW1G-Bold.otf" bolditalic="FrutigerNeueLTW1G-BoldItalic.otf" />
		<font name="Univers Next" regular="UniversNextW1G-Regular.otf" italic="UniversNextW1G-Italic.otf" bold="UniversNextW1G-Bold.otf" bolditalic="UniversNextW1G-BoldItalic.otf" />
		<font name="Quirkus" path="../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/" regular="Quirkus.ttf" italic="Quirkus-I.ttf" bold="Quirkus-B.ttf" bolditalic="Quirkus-BI.ttf" />
	</fonts>
I guess that the css files are generated when rebooting after copying the files.

But my question is: how can I change the default font?

This is the only thing I want to do, to install FreeSerif (FreeSans and FreeMono when possible) and be able to use it as the default font. So I'd like to know first, before installing anything on the PRS-T1 (it isn't mine and I'd like to avoid anything, if the default font cannot be changed).

Many thanks for your help.
The reader/reader.xml file you have quoted above is not correct for the latest version of Morkl's modified reader app (June 2012). Here is a link to the PRST1 Modified Reader wiki which gives links for relevant detailed info, including a download link for the June version. You should read it through before installing. There are sample css files in the download zip. No css files are generated during the install, you have to create them - using the wiki and/or samples.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:44 AM   #482
ousia
Enthusiast
ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
The reader/reader.xml file you have quoted above is not correct for the latest version of Morkl's modified reader app (June 2012). Here is a link to the PRST1 Modified Reader wiki which gives links for relevant detailed info, including a download link for the June version. You should read it through before installing. There are sample css files in the download zip. No css files are generated during the install, you have to create them - using the wiki and/or samples.
Thanks for your fast and detailed information.

Just one last question, if I find bugs, where could I report them?

Advert
Old 11-14-2012, 04:34 PM   #483
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Morkl is the only one who could deal with bugs, but he doesn't visit here very often. If there were any bugs I expect someone would have reported them already, so you shouldn't find any. Just make sure you follow the instructions carefully.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #484
ousia
Enthusiast
ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ousia writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Thank you for your help, jackie_w and many thanks to Morkl for the modified reader. The fonts work fine.

BTW, the bugs I have in mind are bugs that I found on Adobe Reader Mobile (they might also be in the modified reader).

But I'll enjoy the reader with the new fonts for a while, before reporting any bug.

Thanks again for the wonderful application.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #485
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Thank you for your help, jackie_w and many thanks to Morkl for the modified reader. The fonts work fine.

BTW, the bugs I have in mind are bugs that I found on Adobe Reader Mobile (they might also be in the modified reader).

But I'll enjoy the reader with the new fonts for a while, before reporting any bug.

Thanks again for the wonderful application.
ADE bugs are beyond the scope of the mods.
Advert
Old 11-21-2012, 10:12 AM   #486
ousia
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ADE bugs are beyond the scope of the mods.
Sorry, not sure I understand your explanation.

Is the modified reader still using Adobe Reader Mobile to read books?

Many thanks your help.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #487
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry, not sure I understand your explanation.

Is the modified reader still using Adobe Reader Mobile to read books?

Many thanks your help.
The modified reader adds some features but it does not fix any of the bugs in ADE.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #488
ousia
Enthusiast

font issue in reader

I was investigating why kerning and ligatures from FreeSerif (https://www.gnu.org/software/freefont/) didn't work on my Sony PRS-T1 and I come to the conclusion there might be a bug in Adobe Reader Mobile.

I'm afraid that I discovered that the FreeSerif Bold font isn't displayed on the PRS-T1 due to another bug in Adobe Reader Mobile (see attached ePub file).

This is the second bug regarding fonts I have hit with Adobe Reader Mobile. The other one is that Adobe Reader Mobile cannot display which OS/2 table version is set to 4. I reported it to Adobe developers and they acknowledged it.

The issue with those nasty bugs is that there is no way to get a newer release and install it on the PRS-T1, isn't it? One must wait for a new release from Adobe and a new firmware from Sony...

I don't know if these bugs are real features or they are here to stay, but is it the only way to have another ePub reader to root the PRS-T1? Or can't I get rid of those bugs even if I root the device?

Attached Files
File Type: epub css-freeserif.epub (474.6 KB, 316 views)
Old 12-16-2012, 05:59 AM   #489
frankynov
frankynov began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello !

I'm thinking about buying a PRS T1 for my birthday in January, and as I see there are many tweaks out there
I saw that there was a new firmware recently : 1.0.05.11130
I just wanted to know, is the "June Reader" with the flicker free pages turning still compatible with this firmware without rooting ?
Does someone have a video of this mod working ? I would like to know if it's the same experience as the PRS T2

This screen flicker is the only thing that makes me unable to choose between T1 and T2 I'm not going to install many tweaks on it (for now).

Thanks you !
Old 04-25-2013, 04:45 PM   #490
ousia
Enthusiast

faking small-caps?

I have the JuneReader installed and there is a question that I cannot solve.

I have replaced the default fonts within the default.css.

Right now I don't know whether my question is stupid or not.

Is there any code that I could add to default.css, so that it uses a given font when font-variant: small-caps is invoked from any ePub file?

(Sorry if the question makes no sense, but I'm trying to avoid the editing of every single ePub file that uses font-variant: small-caps.)

Many thanks or your help.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #491
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Is there any code that I could add to default.css, so that it uses a given font when font-variant: small-caps is invoked from any ePub file?
From a quick google this question and answer on stackoverflow says it looks like what you're trying to do isn't possible .

Cheers,
Simon.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #492
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I have the JuneReader installed and there is a question that I cannot solve.

I have replaced the default fonts within the default.css.

Right now I don't know whether my question is stupid or not.

(Sorry if the question makes no sense, but I'm trying to avoid the editing of every single ePub file that uses font-variant: small-caps.)

Many thanks or your help.
There is a problem with smallcaps. Sure you can do what you want in the CSS. But the problem is that simulated smallcaps use uppercase that they then size to be smallcaps. A smallcap font uses lowercase. So you'd have to edit the ePub to convert the uppercase to lowercase.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #493
ousia
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
From a quick google this question and answer on stackoverflow says it looks like what you're trying to do isn't possible .
Thanks for your reply, Simon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is a problem with smallcaps. Sure you can do what you want in the CSS. But the problem is that simulated smallcaps use uppercase that they then size to be smallcaps. A smallcap font uses lowercase. So you'd have to edit the ePub to convert the uppercase to lowercase.
Thanks for your reply, JSWolf.

In my ePubs (at least in some of them) the spans marked for the use smallcap font are already in lowercase.

Sorry, but I'm afraid I don't get your point here. I wanted to avoid editing the CSS files in each ePub file, not the HTML text or code itself.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:49 AM   #494
Nick_1964
Bookworm
Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nick_1964 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-650, Kobo Glo HD (2x), Kobo Glo
Quote:
Thanks for your reply, Simon.

Thanks for your reply, JSWolf.

In my ePubs (at least in some of them) the spans marked for the use smallcap font are already in lowercase.

Sorry, but I'm afraid I don't get your point here. I wanted to avoid editing the CSS files in each ePub file, not the HTML text or code itself.
There is a little problem here, if the epub has fonts embedded itself, and the .css in the epub points at them, the default.css will be overruled.
You can't switch to verdana (by example) in the reader, when in the book the text point to Helvetica, and that font is embedded in the e-book.
Then you have to edit the e-book and empty the font directory, so it is no direct answer to your question, but in a lot of cases you have to edit each e-book, you can't avoid that by simply put an .css in your reader.
There are plugins for "pulling out" internal fonts in calibre without converting the book.
But i can put a no ident in the .css of the reader, but at the moment there is an ident rule in the ebook 's css it will jump.
The T1 and T2 ignores !important rules in .css files.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #495
ousia
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_1964 View Post
There is a little problem here, if the epub has fonts embedded itself, and the .css in the epub points at them, the default.css will be overruled.
You can't switch to verdana (by example) in the reader, when in the book the text point to Helvetica, and that font is embedded in the e-book.
Then you have to edit the e-book and empty the font directory, so it is no direct answer to your question, but in a lot of cases you have to edit each e-book, you can't avoid that by simply put an .css in your reader.
There are plugins for "pulling out" internal fonts in calibre without converting the book.
But i can put a no ident in the .css of the reader, but at the moment there is an ident rule in the ebook 's css it will jump.
The T1 and T2 ignores !important rules in .css files.
Thanks for your reply, NIck_1964.

I remove the fonts embedded in the ePub using a compression tool and I edit CSS or HTML files with a plain text editor. (I use calibre only for the ebook-viewer [the ePub reader].)

I have added two lines to the default.css file:

Code:
@font-face {font-family: serifsc; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; src:url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/FreeSerifSC.ttf);}
@font-face {font-family: serifsc; font-weight: bold; font-style: normal; src:url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/reader/fonts/FreeSerifBoldSC.ttf);}
What I wanted to achieve is a way to apply those fonts when font-variant: small-caps is invoked in the CSS file.

But it seems there is no way to do that. I will have to manually edit every ePub file that contains small caps.
Closed Thread