Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
Ransom
Banned
Ransom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle-3
Mobi Files On Kindle For iPad?

I converted a book to mobi using Calibre recently and sent a copy to my friend Ann. I know iPad doesn't handle mobi files natively, but she uses the Kindle for iPad application, and that apparently works well enough for her.

The mobi file I sent her looked great (it has several photos in it as well as the text) and the paragrahs and indents all looked correct. However, she had a small bit of difficulty with the auto-generated TOC that Calibre places at the end of the file. She wrote the following:

Quote:
The one at the end is OK. Except it has the numbers along the side of the page after:

Chapter titles
The book has 7-chapters plus a preface; bibliography; and 104-endtnotes, all of which I hyperlinked via bookmarking in html before doing the Mobi conversion. The TOC near the beginning of the book is hyperlinked also, and she had no trouble with that, nor the endnotes. All worked correctly. It's just that TOC at the end of the book. Only 4 of the chapters showed up plus these odd numbers. I thought the numbers were probably just the endnotes, but she says they aren't linked to anything and aren't clickable.

My question is, does this type of thing happen often when using the Kindle for iPad app? I had intented to ask about this in the Calibre forum, but I thought I'd check here first to see if it's a problem with iPad trying to read mobi files with that Kindle app.

Thanks.
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I've never seen anything odd with TOCs in the Kindle for iOS app. Must be a formatting problem. Has anyone tried the file in Mobipocket Reader, K4PC or something else?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Best thing to do is see what it looks like in the free Kindle Previewer program. That will give you an accurate depiction of how it'll look on a Kindle, iPad, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
Ransom
Banned
Ransom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

I've tried it in my own Kindle-3. Everything is absoluetly perfect, and there was nothing after the final page. If you click the next page button while you're on the last page it just takes you back to the TOC. I don't get it.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:49 PM   #5
Ransom
Banned

Okay, I've figured it out now. I thought she said that the internal TOC worked for her, but it did not. She was referring to the metedata TOC. I just tried the internal TOC on the book on my K-3 and it didn't work for me either. The reason why was because I had placed it within a table/cells in html. I just read in the help file that tables are a no-no with Calibre and mobi files, and that it will generate exactly the kind of stuff Ann was seeing.

I can get rid of the tables easy enough. Problem solved.

Thanks.
Advert
Old 07-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Delighted to hear you've got it sorted.

Simple tables are absolutely fine in Mobi files - I've used them in many of my books. Just make sure that you don't put things like headers inside tables (which I'm guessing is what you did?) - that will cause problems. Tables in normal text, though, work just fine.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:45 PM   #7
Ransom
Banned

Hmm...I don't think there were any headers. Just typical TOC info. The TOC info in the table showed-up fine. It's just that none of the hyperlinks worked.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:15 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

OK, I see what you mean. Thanks for clarifying.