Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-25-2012, 05:43 AM   #1
Dingo
Enthusiast
Dingo began at the beginning.

Device: entourage eDGe
E-ink side stopped working - suggestions?

Just when I was preparing to go on beach I noticed I can not open anything on e-ink side of my EE.

Have month old installed universal allmine/ermine from few post down there.
Everything worked fine I used journal to write on my job.
Noticed few days ago my wallpaper on e-ink side is replaced with default screen but I did not givn to much thought about it.

Now e-ink side doesn't blink at all, it just acts as EE is turned off.

I guess some connection is lost but maybe someone has better idea.

tried factory reset and also e-ink side without any blink, nothing, no calibration on that side.

just to add e-ink side is usual off screen with message press the power button.....

help?

Last edited by Dingo; 06-25-2012 at 05:45 AM.
Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 03:40 AM   #2
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Ouch!!

Wish I had a suggestion for you, Dingo, but all I can suggest is to search this site, and I'm sure you have already done that.

Sincerely hope you get it working again!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
Dingo
Enthusiast

I am thinking to try to return it to Dingo just in case universal Allmine update did something.

But I believe problem is or with battery or connection from battery to e-ink side of EE.

I noticed battery has 6 connectors in two groups so probably 3 are for e-ink and other 3 for LCD side.

Also from when I am using EE often LED light on power button has red or orange light even battery was freshly charged, I supposed I moved battery when packing or unpacking EE in elastic pouch and solved light notice by removing battery for few seconds.

I wish I could find blueprint of EE before I decide to open it up and hope to find hardware problem.

Anyone opened EE yet ?
Old 07-05-2012, 05:42 AM   #4
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
The battery is connections are not the problem - it needs that number of connections because of temperature sensing and charge condition as well as supplying working voltage.

If the power light is showing red or orange it usually means the battery is not fully charged even if the unit has been on charge for some time. With my EE I find that I need to charge it for at least 4 hours every so often - leaving it on charge overnight won't hurt anything.

It would be a good idea to go back to the Dingo golden update - just remember it wipes everything so make sure you have everything backed up first - to see if it clears the problem. If it doesn't then you will have to open the unit and check the cable connections.

As for finding a circuit diagram or any information about the internals of the EE or PE, I don't think we have much hope - I've had my parts guy looking since I got my EE without any joy so far.

As far as I know there have been a few people that have opened their EEs but I don't remember anyone posting pictures of what they found. There are several pictures of the PE and I assume the cables are very similar to those in the EE.

If you do end up opening yours take care that you get all the screws out first because I think someone broke their e-ink screen because they missed a screw. Also, if you do, could you take pictures and post them?
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
Dingo
Enthusiast

UPDATE

Finally I managed some time to spare on my EE (kids at my parents, wife walking dog outside).
I downgraded to Dingo and after 2nd part of process (removing battery) e-ink side started to working and initialize with screen adjustment.
Now I am planning to get back on allmine (ermine) but afraid that universal allmine has some bug to disable e-ink again.
Most apps need Android 2.0 and up so I need it and root is preferable option.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #6
jdm001
Connoisseur
jdm001 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage Dualbook
FYI i've taken it apart, it's not too difficult to get to the eInk side; but it seems that it's rarely a hardware issue.

The eink uses two small flat ribbon paper, not the ribbon cable like old floppy drives, but the thin, flat plastic piece that has circuitry lines on it. While mine was unassembled, i used a fingernail to get them out, clean it with an alcohol wipe, and then dry and re-insert them.

JM
jdm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
UPDATE

Finally I managed some time to spare on my EE (kids at my parents, wife walking dog outside).
I downgraded to Dingo and after 2nd part of process (removing battery) e-ink side started to working and initialize with screen adjustment.
Now I am planning to get back on allmine (ermine) but afraid that universal allmine has some bug to disable e-ink again.
Most apps need Android 2.0 and up so I need it and root is preferable option.

No need to root. The stock Entourage Ermine is Android 2.2.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote