Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 11-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #1
locomouse
Enthusiast
locomouse doesn't litterlocomouse doesn't litterlocomouse doesn't litter

Device: ebookwise 1150
Font changes ignored?

Using eBook Publisher, the font style doesn't change when previewing the page even though I've requested a different font using this BODY tag:

<BODY style="font-family:monospace">

I've also tried to view the sans-serif and small font but they don't work, either. The preview is always in a serif font.

Does this have something to do with the Preferences? In Edition Defaults, under Font Options I have it checked to "View with large and small font".

I'd just like to see how the other fonts look in the preview.

Thanks for any help,

Helen
locomouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomouse View Post
Using eBook Publisher, the font style doesn't change when previewing the page even though I've requested a different font using this BODY tag:

<BODY style="font-family:monospace">

I've also tried to view the sans-serif and small font but they don't work, either. The preview is always in a serif font.

Does this have something to do with the Preferences? In Edition Defaults, under Font Options I have it checked to "View with large and small font".

I'd just like to see how the other fonts look in the preview.

Thanks for any help,

Helen
That "tip" use to work with older versions of eBook Publisher (v.2.2.5 and earlier) and seems "broken" under the most recent version of eBook Publisher (v2.3+).

However, there is a "work-around. The default <p> style used for ebooks prepared with eBook Publisher seems to be "font-family:serif; font-size:small" but this can be overridden within your html code near the top above the <body> tag in the <head> ... </head> section.

In particular, you can set different font-family's (or font-sizes) using a <style> declaration (bold part below):
Code:
<html>
<head>
<title>Sample Test CSS</title>

<style type="text/css">
 p {font-family:monospace}
</style>

</head>
<body>
or a combination of using both <style> and <body> tags would look like:
Code:
<html>
<head>
<title>Sample Test CSS</title>

<style type="text/css">
 p {font-family:monospace;  font-size:x-small}
</style>

</head>
<body style="margin-left:2px; margin-right:2px;" bgcolor="#F5DEB3">
I've attached two ebooks below; the first one uses the method you tried to change the fonts, but failed and the second uses the <style> method to reset the default <p> look and feel.

Experiment what works best for you.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #3
locomouse
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
<snip> I've attached two ebooks below; the first one uses the method you tried to change the fonts, but failed and the second uses the <style> method to reset the default <p> look and feel.

Experiment what works best for you.

Nick... you are a wizard! Thank you sooo much for taking the time to post this workaround... it works aces!!

Helen
Old 11-28-2009, 04:01 PM   #4
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nick... you are a wizard!
I learnt most of my stuff from looking at the ebooks available in this thread and playing/experimenting with eBook Publisher (long before I knew there was a mobileread.com)...

If you want to see all the fonts in one document, then just load EBWQuickRef.imp onto your EBW1150.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:44 PM   #5
locomouse
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
I learnt most of my stuff from looking at the ebooks available in this thread and playing/experimenting with eBook Publisher (long before I knew there was a mobileread.com)...

If you want to see all the fonts in one document, then just load EBWQuickRef.imp onto your EBW1150.
This is all so helpful, Nick... Thank You!!

I haven't actually had my hands on the EBW1150 as yet. I ordered it a week ago yesterday and tracking at FedEx shows that it just left Perrysburg, Ohio... which is alot closer to Niagara Falls, Ontario than San Diego, California... so I'm getting all geeked!

Truth is... I ordered it to give to my Dad for Christmas. He's an avid reader and a lover of all things "gadget".

He is a retired Sergeant Major in the RCMP (Toronto Detachment) and a certified ballistics expert. He's written 125 papers which I've been converting to .imp format so that I can get his own stuff loaded onto the EBW1150 before I give it to him on Christmas Day. I think he'll be surprised and really thrilled!

I won't lie to you... I wish I had enough money to order one for myself, too. But! I usually get a few $$ for Christmas and will get another one, for me, as soon as I can.

Can I ask you, Nick... is there a way to have a background image using eBook Publisher? I'm pretty sure it would be too much to ask for a tiling background... but, knowing that the screen res is 320 x480, would it be possible to have an image of that size for the background?

You've been so very, VERY, helpful... and I thank you ever so much!

Hugs,

Helen
Old 11-28-2009, 10:28 PM   #6
nrapallo

Quote:
This is all so helpful, Nick... Thank You!!

I haven't actually had my hands on the EBW1150 as yet. I ordered it a week ago yesterday and tracking at FedEx shows that it just left Perrysburg, Ohio... which is alot closer to Niagara Falls, Ontario than San Diego, California... so I'm getting all geeked!
Tic, ..., tic, ..., tic, ...

The device works very well for what it is intended to do, allow the user to read ebooks. Some ebooks are formatted better than others, depending on the creator and/or source of the original document. The best control over the generation of a .imp ebook comes from using .html and ebook Publisher. It has a steep learning curve, but once understood how it does things, it can allow you to make some very nice ebooks.

Quote:
Truth is... I ordered it to give to my Dad for Christmas. He's an avid reader and a lover of all things "gadget".

He is a retired Sergeant Major in the RCMP (Toronto Detachment) and a certified ballistics expert. He's written 125 papers which I've been converting to .imp format so that I can get his own stuff loaded onto the EBW1150 before I give it to him on Christmas Day. I think he'll be surprised and really thrilled!
If these "papers" are in MS Word .doc format, you may want to try converting all of them at once using the Bulk Convert program that was installed along with eBook Publisher. The formatting may be "sub-par" but at least it will convert them all to .imp in one conversion session. If you want to try this, just ask or Private Message me here.

Quote:
I won't lie to you... I wish I had enough money to order one for myself, too. But! I usually get a few $$ for Christmas and will get another one, for me, as soon as I can.
But the EBW1150 is soooo inexpensive now and the Canadian Dollars is so much stronger than when I bought mine. A win-win.

Quote:
Can I ask you, Nick... is there a way to have a background image using eBook Publisher? I'm pretty sure it would be too much to ask for a tiling background... but, knowing that the screen res is 320 x480, would it be possible to have an image of that size for the background?
No, using a background image is not a supported option, however a background colour is. Just see the ebook called 16 Web Safe Colors.imp for a colour that work well for you and replace the "#000000" hex code in my previous post's sample code using the <body> tag with bgcolor="#000000". The format used here is RRGGBB where RR is "00" (dark) to "FF" (bright) and represents the red component; GG is the green and BB is the blue component.

Quote:
You've been so very, VERY, helpful... and I thank you ever so much!

Hugs,

Helen
You're welcome!

Most here at mobileread.com are happy to pass along words of advice; it makes for a strong and more literate ebook user base. And that's a good thing!

Last edited by nrapallo; 11-28-2009 at 10:31 PM.