Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 04:05 AM   #61
ecostin
Enthusiast
ecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role model

Device: PRS-500-505-700, Kindle3, KT, KPW, KPW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Hmm, I'm really interested in those files. Did you get my PM?
Yes, see PM. Amazon's code is copyrighted ... let's see

Last edited by ecostin; 09-11-2010 at 04:05 AM. Reason: typo
ecostin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:08 AM   #62
ecostin
Enthusiast
ecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role modelecostin is a good role model

As I see that Kindle binaries can be found quite often on the Internet, there's no harm to post these two. The two archives contain /etc and /test from my "maybe privileged" K3. Don't waste time to crack the root password from the shadow file, it has been changed, the original one was the same one as everybody else's.

http://rapidshare.com/files/418785608/test.tgz.html
http://rapidshare.com/files/418785632/etc.tgz.html

I hope this helps.
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 07:17 AM   #63
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Ooo.. Interesting contents of test. Much appreciated! Thanks!
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:28 AM   #64
spacemonkey
Enthusiast
spacemonkey doesn't litterspacemonkey doesn't litter

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Now all we need to do is jailbreak, copy these files on, then a jailbreak will be easy.

If only I had a chicken or an egg.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #65
Terry Doss
Terry Doss began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
To understand recursion, one must first understand recursion.
Terry Doss is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 02:07 PM   #66
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
I believe it is

B006 = Kindle 3G+WiFi from the US store (AT&T)
B00A = Kindle 3G+WiFi from the UK store (Vodafone)
Thank you.
Do you have a source for this information ?
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:22 PM   #67
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by meem View Post
Thank you.
Do you have a source for this information ?
Kindle Software Update Latest Generation
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:21 AM   #68
ecostin
Enthusiast

Has anybody else managed to get USB networking to work on K3? Either via ;debugOn and ~usbNetwork or by simply by creating an empty file named ENABLE_USBNET in the root of the USB drive ? The reason I'm asking is that the start script is actually located in the test directory /test/bin/usbnetwork

If the /mnt/us/ENABLE_USBNET is empty, then it will be removed at the next reboot, so you get your USB drive back. If it contains the word "persist", then it will not be removed and/or if it contains "tethered", it will start in tethered mode.

Again, all this requires the script /test/bin/usbnetwork

Another interesting one is /mnt/us/ENABLE_VNC and it does not require the test files
Old 09-14-2010, 06:59 AM   #69
odfi
odfi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
ecostin, I will be happy to test it on my kindle3, but I don't know anything about usbnetwork, so can You provide a test procedure :
- do :usbnetwork
- if it work you should see that on the kindle (or maybee should I do something on my computer too..)

you see what I mean ?

thx in advance
odfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:27 AM   #70
Ged_uk
Enthusiast
Ged_uk began at the beginning.

Device: K3-3G, HTC HD2
I have tried /mnt/us/ENABLE_USBNET with an empty file but it had no effect and is still there after a few reboots so I would say its dependant on other files.
I'm trying the ENABLE_VNC to see if that does anything but it doesn't seem to open any ports.
G
Ged_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:54 PM   #71
mark88
mark88 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3
~usbNetwork did not work for me. I'll try the ENABLE_VNC and ENABLE_USBNET options later on.
mark88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:35 PM   #72
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Well, Factory Reset removes both /test/bin directory and /usr/sbin/ufbvncd (the VNC daemon), so it doesn't matter if anyone tries ENABLE_VNC or ENABLE_USBNET - these functions are not there for the great majority of Kindle owners. That is not to say they wouldn't be cool to have on one's Kindle. But for everyone whose Kindle was properly reset at the factory these are just exercises in futility.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:55 PM   #73
Metapioca
Metapioca began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G intl
Thanks ecostin, for sharing your treasures ! Too bad I don't have much time to fiddle with it
Metapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #74
lstefek
lstefek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Settings -> 411, 611, 711

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey View Post
Another interesting place to get some detailed info is the 411 page.
Another technical info can be found also on pages 611 and 711.
(Alt-Y Alt-Q Alt-Q or Alt-U Alt-Q Alt-Q)
lstefek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #75
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Why don't you just include a patched update file and encrypt it with the Python script.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote