Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-29-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
EPUB implementations

I wonder: Which readers, if any, have an EPUB implementation other than Adobe DE? Are there any which are based on standard browser engines, e.g. WebKit or Gecko?
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
I wonder: Which readers, if any, have an EPUB implementation other than Adobe DE? Are there any which are based on standard browser engines, e.g. WebKit or Gecko?
Without using ADE, you cannot borrow ePub/PDF from the library or use any ePub/PDF with Adept DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The phone based ones all dont use ADE
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Without using ADE, you cannot borrow ePub/PDF from the library or use any ePub/PDF with Adept DRM.
I couldn't care less about that: I do not buy DRMed books, nor do I borrow them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal
The phone based ones all dont use ADE
I should have added that I am interested only in e-ink-based readers.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:36 AM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I couldn't care less about that: I do not buy DRMed books, nor do I borrow them.

I should have added that I am interested only in e-ink-based readers.
The Hanlin devices such as the Astak EZ Reader have recently added Cool Reader 3.0 support. This version can read ePUB although presently you have to append .fb2 to the file name to direct the ePUB to Cool Reader. The device can also use ADE by default so you can pick and choose based on the files.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 11:37 AM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
The FBReader included in OpenInkpot is not ADE (does it support ePUB, I wonder?)

Last edited by Jellby; 04-29-2010 at 11:39 AM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:56 AM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
The FBReader included in OpenInkpot is not ADE (does it support ePUB, I wonder?)
The answer to this and thousands of other questions is of course in our Wiki FBReader. It does support ePUB although not all of CSS and no Tables.

Dale
Old 04-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #8
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
As far as I can tell, the Onyx Boox60 also doesn't use ADE, I would guess it uses a version of FBReader.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:41 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
As far as I can tell, the Onyx Boox60 also doesn't use ADE, I would guess it uses a version of FBReader.
It must use ADE. It supports DRM'd ePub right?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
pepak
Guru

Seems to me that if I want e-ink, I am stuck with either ADE (which I rather hate from my PRS-505) or FBReader with missing features :-(

I wonder - just why do e-book manufactures avoid mature HTML engines and instead opt for brand new, and apparently worse, implementations? Is it simply that they won't use a DRM-less implementation?

On a related note: I have seen that a number of reader manufacturers support developing of tools for their devices. Does it mean that it would be possible to compile, say, a WebKit-based reader for them and use it instead of the default one? Has this been tried at all?
Old 04-29-2010, 01:57 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Seems to me that if I want e-ink, I am stuck with either ADE (which I rather hate from my PRS-505) or FBReader with missing features :-(

I wonder - just why do e-book manufactures avoid mature HTML engines and instead opt for brand new, and apparently worse, implementations? Is it simply that they won't use a DRM-less implementation?

On a related note: I have seen that a number of reader manufacturers support developing of tools for their devices. Does it mean that it would be possible to compile, say, a WebKit-based reader for them and use it instead of the default one? Has this been tried at all?
Did you miss my post that said Cool Reader is also available? It is pretty good viewer with nice user customization features although I am not sure the TOC feature works yet on ePUB.

Dale
Old 04-29-2010, 02:29 PM   #12
pepak
Guru

From what I read, it fits nicely into the "brand new, and apparently worse, implementations" :-(
Old 04-29-2010, 04:20 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
From what I read, it fits nicely into the "brand new, and apparently worse, implementations" :-(
They have a windows version of both Cool reader and FBReader. Download them and give them a try. The dedicated versions are a slight bit better but this will give you an idea of the support for ePUB.

Dale
Old 04-29-2010, 08:06 PM   #14
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
It must use ADE. It supports DRM'd ePub right?
Ah, according to Nate's review you're right, and the FBReader function isn't used for epubs. Strange, I could find no mention of that on their site, and ADE-support is the sort of thing I'd expect them to mention if they had it.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:38 AM   #15
paulpeer
Zealot
paulpeer is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, Sony PRS-505, EPUBreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
They have a windows version of both Cool reader and FBReader. Download them and give them a try.
Dale
I've just tried their Cool reader version 3. Promising project, but still in early stage. As Dale said: No TOC feature yet for ePub. There is no CSS recognition yet (all characters are rendered with the same size, no italics, no bold, ...). But the good news: perfect rendering of "lesser used languages" such as Polish, Icelandic, Russian, Esperanto ... what of course could be expected of a Russian developer.
paulpeer is offline   Reply With Quote