Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-04-2010, 10:51 AM   #106
JohnnyTToxic
Connoisseur
JohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enoughJohnnyTToxic will become famous soon enough

Device: Amazon Kindle 2 International
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmehard View Post
then you should upload the bin file so anybody who's longing for it can upgrade.

Here are the instructions to do it, feel free to mail me if you have problems - dubmehard at gmail dot com

#################################################

If anyone does get the update automatically over the air and doesn't have a chance to catch the .bin file before it is automatically installed, it's pretty easy to get it back so that you can share the wealth.

All you have to do is run a file recovery program "Recuva" by Piriform works best. When you get the automatic update over the air, the .bin file is downloaded to the root of your kindle and when the update is installed, the .bin file is automatically deleted.

-> start program, select the kindle as the device, push scan, locate and select the bin files and right click to recover -> then for god's sake upload the file to depositfile or rapidshare or whatever

thanks mate
At least give me some credit or paraphrase my words.
JohnnyTToxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #107
dubmehard
dubmehard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
sorry pal I really intended to quote it, the rush to post.

thanks for your efforts.

db
dubmehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #108
kcar08
kcar08 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, ebookwise
Another disappointed Kindle 1 user here. It's unfortunate that apparently we'll never have the ability to organize collections - I feel like we've been told all along "someday," only to have that yanked away.

FWIW, this is what I received from Amazon when I asked:

Quote:
We do not have the Software Update for the Kindle 1 users and there is no way we can send this Update onto your Kindle.

I'm sorry if that's disappointing.

I'll take this as a Feedback and have passed your comments to the Kindle Development Team.

Strong customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service we provide, and we're glad you took time to write to us.

We look forward to see you again soon.

Thanks for your interest in Amazon Kindle.
I wish I'd gone with the Sony.
kcar08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #109
Snapply
Connoisseur
Snapply began at the beginning.

Device: Amazozn Kindlezz
any day now, I can feel it in my chicken bone and stones
Snapply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #110
Nine989
Ebook Destroyer
Nine989 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 - Kindle 2 - Kindle Dx
I think this may only be me, but the new update drains the battery quicker. I´m on a KDXi.
Nine989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #111
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcar08 View Post
Another disappointed Kindle 1 user here. It's unfortunate that apparently we'll never have the ability to organize collections - I feel like we've been told all along "someday," only to have that yanked away.

FWIW, this is what I received from Amazon when I asked:

I wish I'd gone with the Sony.
That's strange, Kcar- on the Amazon forums there was a post by Amazon Kindle Cs stating that they were trying to work something out in the Organizational way towards k1 users in addition to the k2 and + users.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:05 PM   #112
kcar08
kcar08 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, ebookwise
That would be good news, Anarel. Maybe the CS rep misunderstood my email, or didn't know about something that's in development. I basically said that I noticed the latest software update allowed you to manage your books into groups, and I asked if K1 users were ever going to get a similar feature added to a software update for us. (Email was sent to kindle-feedback@amazon.com.)

If Amazon CS is posting on the boards that they are working on something, that gives me a little hope.
kcar08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #113
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcar08 View Post
That would be good news, Anarel. Maybe the CS rep misunderstood my email, or didn't know about something that's in development. I basically said that I noticed the latest software update allowed you to manage your books into groups, and I asked if K1 users were ever going to get a similar feature added to a software update for us. (Email was sent to kindle-feedback@amazon.com.)

If Amazon CS is posting on the boards that they are working on something, that gives me a little hope.
I'll see if I can find it for you.... but at the same time, your CS rep said one thing, another says something else....
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #114
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I think the issues are the some CS people know very little, others know a lot. Many never even knew about the 2.3.4 update as it wasnt sent to all kindles. I did read that they are working on folders for the K1. I think you should start an online petition on their site - us K2I'ers would vote for you too. I feel your angst in this.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #115
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
That's strange, Kcar- on the Amazon forums there was a post by Amazon Kindle Cs stating that they were trying to work something out in the Organizational way towards k1 users in addition to the k2 and + users.
If it is the same post I saw, its provenance was untraceable. That is to say it was not an Official message from CS, but rather just a posting from an ordinary forum participant who claimed it was a message CS sent him/her. CS could have communicated this in error, or the participant could have invented the text in hopes of raising expectations, and somehow encouraging Amazon to do something they were not otherwise going to do. In either case I would continue the campaign to request a K1 update for Collections by calling or emailing CS. They need to understand there's a solid business case for providing such an update.

I'll try to find the posting I saw & quote it here...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #116
aslterp
aslterp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziplizard View Post
aslterp, have you tried contacting Amazon and just ask? I know it's a long shot, but you might get lucky. Other than that, you just have to wait. Amazon says on their blog that they're releasing the update in batches.
Talked to CS today - either they are useless or I did not get one that can think outside a box, only read the scripts.

My son bought a K2, (i had one already, I broke mine, no warranty, replaced it a few months later with a Ki) son is deploying with the Navy soon. I was hoping they'd offer to upgrade his K2 to a Ki. No such luck. They did suggest we sell the K2 on Amazon marketplace, get about $200 to put towards a Ki.

So, I asked about pushing the update to him so he could upgrade before he leaves. They don't have a way, and say the upgrade really won't affect that much that he would really need it before he leaves!

OH WELL, I might be swapping with him before he goes - but then I have to re-download the 200 books I have on mine and he'll have to re download the $100+ on his. Though, I did ask if they had an easy way to swap them for us ! NOPE< just go to archives and get them ourselves!

Oh wll, I still love my kindle just not sure about CS.
aslterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:11 PM   #117
rainsux
rainsux began at the beginning.

Device: BB Curve
Seems the new firmware may have dropped support for PNGs within PDFs.

Is anyone able to try this ebook on a K3?

http://dranz.readyhosting.com/approach/ebooks/CT.pdf
rainsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:13 PM   #118
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainsux View Post
Seems the new firmware may have dropped support for PNGs within PDFs.

Is anyone able to try this ebook on a K3?

http://dranz.readyhosting.com/approach/ebooks/CT.pdf
Given that the K3 does not ship until 27th Aug, the answer to that is "no" .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:11 PM   #119
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
I have version 2.5.4 now.
A new "Search" function has been added in "Home" menu:
[search my items] [search kindle store] [search google]
[search dictionary] [search wikipedia] [go to web]
meem is offline   Reply With Quote